Light-O-Rama Forums

So just curious... who here is still old school?

Santas Helper

I have only incans, LED strings and rope lights. I want my display to remain "old school" – it’s the look I’m going for.
I may add RGB floods in the future to compliment the look of the display.
My hat is off to all of the visionaries and early adopters who work out the kinks so when people like me get around to using the new technologies – we don’t experience the pain.

• Like 1

Well my system is totally old school 46000 incans controlled by 4 LOR controllers and ver. 3.10.6. I mean no DMX , LEDS ,CCR ,strips smart or dumb.or pixels. is that old school enough.

Edited by Godney
  • Like 1

Old school here 2nd year LOR 8 controllers and about 50k leds i have plans of adding rgb floods next year to wash the house but my wife doesnt like the look of ccb or ccrs so we will keep adding led strings hahaha

My second year, and only 2nd generation (ask I like to call them) controllers.  I do have the latest software.

Started with 4 controllers last year, added one this year.

I am old school here also. Doing away with the last of icans in my small lights this year and will be all led except for my blow molds. About 28000 led's this year.

Wayne

Hello... My name is RaZZlo... And I'm a Analogaholic.... :D

4th year with LOR... 128 Channels, 30K+ lights this year, incan and LED. 

Thought about doing some digital, but just haven't done it...yet...  Maybe it's the cost, (12 CCR = ~$3000).... maybe it's the time involved, maybe it's just that I like the look of "real" lights... Even some LED's bother me as they look too... well... neon... but I like the look and feel of regular lights..

Like everyone else,my main reason of moving away from incans is mainly due to the energy usage, and the frustration of bulbs constantly having to be replaced. And the cost of LEDs has come down substantially... as I suspect RGB will do in the future.    

I might do some pixels next year, but will most likely stay mostly analog for a while...

"If you build it, they will come..." works for me. And in my neck of the woods, the display I have is still light years above what everyone else is going..(mostly static displays...) or even to the new "Plug-N-Play" options available now... Including BlueTooth enabled show machines, and RGB elements ready to go... (lights turn on, lights turn off)...no imagination....

So as long as they keep coming, I will keep doing it "old school"...

But I do really love some of what y'all do with your RGB setups...

"Keep Calm, and Christmas On"...

• Like 1

I'm old school....I think......you tell me.

I have LED and mini strands only. I changed out my C7 incandescent bulbs with LED's.  I hand made everything in my display except the wire deer but I wrapped them in both white and blue mini lights. I have over 500 channels using 32 LOR controllers. and 100,000 lights. My mega tree does way more than any other mega tree that uses only mini lights,. My arches are big enough that I can walk under them. I have no blow-ups or molded figures...sounds boring does it not? Check out my website and you tell me if I'm old school......

kevinkolak.com  

• Like 1

Old school in oh so many ways here....

Last years' display was 32 channels of standard LOR controllers, with the rest of my display being static...a mix of blow ups, incan/LED trees, bushes, etc...and other assorted props (including a full size car).  With the family in the middle of moving, this year will be the same 32 channels and only about 1/5th of the props of last year.  I did snag up at least 5000 LED lights in the post Christmas sales, so I'll convert to mostly LED and ditch the incans.  I tried to get RGB going for this year, but it's just not going to happen.  Starting next year I'll have RGB and slowly come into the 21st century.

I'm old school in a lot of other technology.  I still have a flip phone, have never sent a text message, don't use Facebook/Twitter/whatever...just not my thing.

I guess you can consider me old school as well.  About 99% LED.

I am interested in getting into RGB, for some things.  I like the idea of using some of the same props for Halloween and Christmas without having to change anything except the programming.  lol

Jerry 

I dont know if you can call me old school because this is my first year, but mine is going up now and all traditional 80 channels with strings.

Although i think im going to use my rgb floods from halloween display to wash the house if i have time to sequence it in.

We are all incandescent except for our C7 roof lights... of those our red and gold are C7 LED(we still use clear incandescent). After playing around with RGB strips a couple years ago we decided we just like the warmth incans give off. Also, using three separate strands for our colors lets us put two or three separate strands on at the same time which gives more points of lights on. The randomness of these points is also pleasing to us.

BTW, I tested 9,600 lights yesterday for our megatree and had to replace 400-500 bulbs. I am in the minority I'm sure but this doesn't bother me since it's just a fact of life imo. :)

And tonight I'll start testing the 4,800 lights for our mini-megatree. :D

I guess you can consider me old school as well. About 99% LED.

I am interested in getting into RGB, for some things. I like the idea of using some of the same props for Halloween and Christmas without having to change anything except the programming. lol

Jerry

My thoughts are the same on the RGB note.

Edited by jeff bush

We are all incandescent except for our C7 roof lights... of those our red and gold are C7 LED(we still use clear incandescent). After playing around with RGB strips a couple years ago we decided we just like the warmth incans give off. Also, using three separate strands for our colors lets us put two or three separate strands on at the same time which gives more points of lights on. The randomness of these points is also pleasing to us.

BTW, I tested 9,600 lights yesterday for our megatree and had to replace 400-500 bulbs. I am in the minority I'm sure but this doesn't bother me since it's just a fact of life imo. :)

And tonight I'll start testing the 4,800 lights for our mini-megatree. :D

Thats one of the best things about LED rarely a bad light year after year

Papa

I love the looks of LED!

So much more brighter. They really POP!

Big Lots 30 days after Christmas... 90% off.

Slowly replace the incans and save that power bill money for more LEDs.

ONLY led so far, incans are simply too much trouble for what they are (and current for that matter).

HOWEVER, animatronics are in the works......

Greg

Greg,
I've been into animatronics for years for Halloween.
So what's your plans?

For simplicity and power saving, LED (including RGB) is the way to go.
But for me it's still the "old school" way of using them.