Light-O-Rama Forums

Can you mix LOR Devices with DMX on the same network

MartinB

Forgive me, but how do you have separate networks, if you are going out of the computer via USB to the LOR USB485,  to your LOR Controller.... and from the LOR Controller,  out thru the Seasonal Entertainment DMX/LOR Adapter cable,  to a DMX light ?

If your using a seasonal DMX dongle that is connected to a different com port off your computer .What kind of DMX adapter do you have?

For dmx to work you will need to come out of a different port on your PC. NOT out of the LOR device.

LOR and dmx are different protocols. I don't know what kind of damage you will do using that port on the LOR device with a LOR to dmx cable but I don't think you will be able to control whatever device is connected at the least.

Dmx requires a dongle or e1.31 device to work. Period. Many have tried other ways but all have failed.

Exception being an elor that is made by sans devices or the iDMX by LOR. That will convert the data by creating a dmx (limited) universe on a LOR network. This method costs more than a dmx dongle and is typically used by people who don't use their PC for running a show.

This conversion is done with a chip and not by switching data lines. Equate this to the difference between serial and USB. You need an adapter (chip) to convert between the protocols. Same with LOR/dmx.

Edited by sax

You can have multiple LOR networks (each with its own USB 485), and DMX 512 running from a USB port (DMX dongle with multiple DMX controllers) as well as E1.31 running from your Ethernet port on your computer (multiple E1.31 controllers).  All running at the same time.  BIG POINT  do NOT get the cables crossed up mark them well or use different color CAT5 cables.

You setup the different protocols inside LOR to tell what stuff goes out what port.

LOR and dmx are different protocols. I don't know what kind of damage you will do using that port on the LOR device with a LOR to dmx cable but I don't think you will be able to control whatever device is connected at the least.

Both LOR and DMX use RS485 at the hardware level, but as you said the protocols are different. However, a LOR controller can detect when it is connected to a DMX network and will switch to DMX mode, so you could run your show on just DMX, using one network, as long as you are using a PC (not a mini-director, which doesn't speak DMX).

You won't damage anything by plugging a DMX device into a LOR network, it just won't work. However, you can damage an Ethernet (e.g. E1.31) device by plugging it into a LOR network, because the LOR network includes DC power, which will short on the Ethernet controller.

LOR and DMX use different RJ45 pins. That's why you need an adapter cable (which you can easily make yourself).

• The topic was locked