Light-O-Rama Forums

How Much Is Enough?

boisechris

Hi everyone  :)

Just wanted to throw out a general question for everyone....

I'm setting up my show for this Christmas and was wondering what show length has worked best for you all?

I was thinking of 25 minute shows with 5 minutes between......

What has been your experience? Too long? Too short? Just right?

Thanks,

Chris

Do you expect a lot of Traffic? If so, a pause between shows is necessary to get people moving, If not allot of traffic; there is really no reason to have a break. (Just my opinion)

• Like 1

Many people drive around to see lights and will see yours with no concept of a 'show' with a start and an end.    Just a rotation of songs which is semi random works for a lot of people.  I agree with godman,  no need to shoo people off with a break since most will miss the beginning and may wait through the break to see what they missed. 

What they said. You are not going to have people knowing that there is a 'show'. They are going to roll up at random times, stay until their kids start annoying them, and then move on. Only you will have the concept of the 'show'. 

I run about 45 minutes and then restart immediately after.

• Like 1

Looping seems to work the best for me so there is no show so to speak. Unless you get crowds like CLDkevin (he gets 1000s of people per half hour show) just loop your selected sequences all night. Or you could just play them randomly. I loop my 55 minutes in kind 4 TSO songs, 4 SNC songs, 2 ABR songs and some verious others between these 3 blocks. seems to work out good for most people. Let the crowd dictate what you do. I am working on haveing my singing trees do some comedy between each loop. I'm working on  Cheech and Chong's Santa Claus and his Old Lady bit and also Abbott and Castello's who's on first. Just trying to add some humor to the show. 

• Like 2

I run my "show"  60 Minutes with ~20 songs, ranging from 1-3 minutes each and some 4-5 minutes each from 6-10 (11 on Fri.and Sat.).  In the end, I agree with most that although we like to think we have a "show", most people are just driving around and when they get to a song they don't care for, or have seen enough, or heard enough from their kids, they move on.  Most of my friends and neighbors will watch the entire show now, as they like to see what is new and different.  Just let it run and see what happens.  No need for breaks unless the traffic is overwhelming...

Box, I think the idea of comedy breaks is brilliant BTW... Never thought of that.... Keep them thinking... :-)

You will get to know what sequences folks like and dont like. 

• Like 1

• Thanks everyone!
  • Seems like what you guys are saying makes sense. I'm expecting some traffic, but I am at the end of a cul de sac which may make for issues...idk.
  • I have enough for around an hour... but may make a few different mixed  "shows" to get people to move on....

Chris

I have approx 37 or so songs. Other than the first night which I play them in sequence, after that, I turn on the randomizer function. This hopefully anyone driving by will never see the same song twice. Now it was brought up too me already that two of my songs from the "Frozen" movie, the parents are going to want to know when they will play....I have no way of insuring that or making it happen. On teh culdesac issue, I don't live in one but the one other guy in this town who does, his house and show are huge and people who live there, have a difficult time getting in and out of their driveways due to all the traffic.