Light-O-Rama Forums

Strobe amperage

aesl1982

So strobes I'm looking at says 4-6 watts per strobe. Ten strobes would be 60 watts then which is 5 amps I believe it would be split across two channels for my fire stick trees. Is that Gonna be too much for the Channels to handle

Oh ok awesone mega arch. What is the amp limit per Channel. 1.5? All my lights are led about 4000 of them plan on running all 48 cHanells off one switch. Shouldn't have a Promblem I wouldn't think. The strobes threw me for a loop.

Most likely you will be ok.

A normal CTB16PC is 8 amps per channel. Each bank of 8 is 15 amps total, but to get a full 30 amps out of the controller, each bank needs to hit a different breaker in your loadcenter. LED's range in amperage, so you really need to look at the carton specs to be sure you know what you have.

So the c9 strobes, how many can you load up on 1 channel??

If the C9 strobes are .5 amps, then you could put 16 on a channel.

*Important* That would put you at 8 amps, which is the maximum per channel allowed. You could NOT load the entire 16 channels like this as you would go *way* over the amperage allowed per controller.

• Like 1

Well the top of my fire stocks would be 2 seperate cHanells so woth 5 strobes on each one that's only gonna be .25 amps plus the leds for that channel as well should be less than one amp for each of those channels

Just out of curiosity,,, why does a strobe use so much juice? Are they not LED? Now I've got to figure out a way to sneak 130 into my display without overloading anything!

No. Strobes are are a gas discharge device, and they take a lot more power than a LED. They are also FAR brighter than a LED.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strobe_light

I will point out that there are LED based strobe light type effects, but as many people here have pointed out, there are no where near as bright.

Edited by k6ccc

oilmoney - I'm trying these LED 1 watt strobes this year as I too was trying to keep wattage down.
I've read others say "not as good or as bright", so I only purchased (20) to get started.
They look real good in my test, but we'll see when the display is up.
LED's are a straight light beam, so I will probably have to tie-wrap them to aim them towards the
viewing area to get the PUNCH we're looking for.
Good luck.
http://www.allthingschristmasandmore.com/WL-STROBE-PW-E17-E17-Base-1W-Pure-White-LED-Clear-Lens-180-Flash-Minute_p_3817.html

:D :D

So strobes I'm looking at says 4-6 watts per strobe. Ten strobes would be 60 watts then which is 5 amps I believe it would be split across two channels for my fire stick trees. Is that Gonna be too much for the Channels to handle

.5 amps

60/120

What am I missing here? 6 watts per strobe x 10 strobes = 60 watts / 120 volts = .5 amps so then would 100 strobes draw 5 amps?

1 strobe at 6 watts= 6 / 120 = .05 amps?  .05 amps x 100 strobes = 5amps

Please forgive me if this is way off, haven't cracked open the electrical books in 16 years or so and I sucked at electrical back then too!

Edit: I'm at work so i just went over to the E/I shop and had the electricians confirm these numbers. Is there something to do with the initial power draw that causes a higher draw???

Edited by oilmoney

Your math is good.

The quote you did on my 60/120 was in response to the 10 strobes at 6 watts post.

Watts divided by volts equals amps.

W/V=A

I feel better knowing that I can put a significant amount of strobes on one channel without risking anything!

• 2 weeks later...

What am I missing here? 6 watts per strobe x 10 strobes = 60 watts / 120 volts = .5 amps so then would 100 strobes draw 5 amps?

1 strobe at 6 watts= 6 / 120 = .05 amps? .05 amps x 100 strobes = 5amps

Theres a few conflicting answers in here don replied to my question and said something about only putting 16 per channel.... but whan i do the math i come up with 5amps per 100 strobes so i should be fine with 100 on 1 channel correct?

If the C9 strobes are .5 amps, then you could put 16 on a channel.

*Important* That would put you at 8 amps, which is the maximum per channel allowed. You could NOT load the entire 16 channels like this as you would go *way* over the amperage allowed per controller.

Nvrmd i seen where don said if each strobe is .5amps each strobe is 4-6 watts so i ahould be okay

I think Don used the .5 amps per strobe instead of per 10 strobes.  6 watts per strobe would be .05 amps per strobe.  Oilmoney is correct in the math.  100 strobes would consume 5 amps.  If you maxed out your single channel at 8 amps you could run 160 strobes.  That's a lot of strobes.  I run a few channels with 40 strobes and have had no problems. 

I've got 130 split on 2 channels and they work fine. Timing them is tricky tho! I also wasn't happy with how they looked, not enough " pop " to them so I ordered another 100 of them. They'll be here friday!