Light-O-Rama Forums

Question for Dan regarding CTB-08

Guest guest

Dan,

I've got a CTB-08D (my original LOR controller) which shows firmware ver 1.0 and some channels get stuck on occasionally. I tried to update firmware... (I believe once before I was told the 08D firmware was ok for the08.) It gets stuck at "Grabbing Unit." I can update my CTB-16D's just fine, which I just did for my older 16D card. Any ideas? Or is the old 08 (not 08D) card not upgradable??

Thanks...

Tom

Out to do some more decorating...

cstom2002 wrote:

Dan,

I've got a CTB-08D (my original LOR controller) which shows firmware ver 1.0 and some channels get stuck on occasionally. I tried to update firmware... (I believe once before I was told the 08D firmware was ok for the08.) It gets stuck at "Grabbing Unit." I can update my CTB-16D's just fine, which I just did for my older 16D card. Any ideas? Or is the old 08 (not 08D) card not upgradable??

The CTB-08 is not firmware upgradable. If you have a controller without the two unit ID switches on it you cannot upgrade the firmware.

If you do have a CTB-08D (with the unit ID switches on it) and the firmware download gets stuck in the "grabbing units" position then while it is trying to grab that unit, unplug the controller and plug it back in.

When you say that lights get stuck, is that in the twinkle mode?

Im going to go out on a limb here and see if maybe it is the same problem I am having with my CTB08 sometimes in chasing / twinkling the controller hangs for a couple of seconds then unfreezes and quickly does the operations sent and then continues to operate fine until the next time it hangs (once every like 2 1/2 hours)

Donald.Landru wrote:

Im going to go out on a limb here and see if maybe it is the same problem I am having with my CTB08 sometimes in chasing / twinkling the controller hangs for a couple of seconds then unfreezes and quickly does the operations sent and then continues to operate fine until the next time it hangs (once every like 2 1/2 hours)

I have really never heard of that one... I do know that the "random" nature of the twinkle will sometimes gets into some type of lockstep timing where the lights will stay on or off (usually on) for a long time. I have not heard of a CTB08 actually freezing up until now. It may be a bit difficult to reproduce but we will try.

Dan,
I did wan't to mention too that it does it more often with the hardware utility then it did wiht my sequences (i attribute this maybe to the HU wasn't designed to run more than a few minutes at a time... ) First year doing Computer Control so i was spending a lot of time in the Hardware Utility everytime i would hook up each circuit...

That's exatly where my question started. I was running tests through the hardware utility to check my boxes. I was using the Chase option and when I turned the chase off, I had on channel stuck on. I thought this MIGHT be the same problem as the twinkle fix that I saw in the forums, so I tried to upgrade the firmware. That explains why the upgrade didn't work. Not sure if this happens when running a sequence or not, but I suspect not. I'll keep an eye on it and let you know if I notice any problems when running sequences. Thanks.

Tom Skillman

PS Thanks for the great product and support. Using 80 channels this year for my display.

OK ! .... Now it makes sense....

When you turn off the chase in the hardware utility it does NOT turn off the last light that was on (unless you catch it just right)... It simply stops where it is.

You can click the "Light Off" button in the bottom right of the screen.

One other thing about lights hanging... Microsoft Windows is not a real time OS... Light O Rama is a program that can be interrupted by other things going on with the PC. Now usually things happen so fast on the PC that you do not notice that Light-O-Rama was interrupted. However on some PCs (my Dell laptop (800mhz) for example) some background things will happen that cause LOR to stop because it is robbed of processor time. My Dell laptop does something (perhaps a flush of some kind?) every few minutes and LOR will pause for about a second every time it does it. I have an old 300mhz desktop that can run for hours without a glitch in the LOR timing.

I was considering running a copy of VMWare, but decided that it wasn't worth the effort. Looks like I'm going to need to reload my machine that runs LOR though...it picked up a bunch of spyware and I can't seem to get it to boot well. Hopefully I can clean it up, but there's a pesky one hurting me right now. I haven't turned the lights on yet (except testing while I'm decorating using a laptop) because the LOR computer I have isn't booting right! Oh well, they'll be on by next week...

Vmware is pretty cool but uses a lot of resources. I posted before how I thought it would be cool to do all the programing in windows and being able to export the actual sequences into a linux application. All you would have to do is install barebones linux install and install some sort of Daemon that would run the show Scheduler and sequences.

Tom,

I picked up some nasty spyware and tried everything I could come up with to get it fixed with no luck. A friend recommended a product by a company called Webroot. The name of the product is SpySweeper and it did the trick for me.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way - just glad I didn't have to rebuild the PC!

Scott Hardin
Columbus, IN