Light-O-Rama Forums

setting up for Christmas

Watts UP

Wife and I are starting next Friday 31st

It's against the law to start Christmas decorating on October 31st.

You can start before or after,

but not on Halloween. B)

I start every year on November 1st with putting away Halloween first, then roof lights.

All roof and ladder stuff first while the weather is good because around here, you never know what you'll get.

+2 on Tom =

It's against the law to start Christmas decorating on October 31st.

You can start before or after,

but not on Halloween.

I was rolling hard picturing the lighting police arresting Watts Up.

I started on the last weekend of September.  I had 4 weekends of 80 degree weather, even got a sunburn.  Quite a fete as Oregon is typically rainy in the fall, which we are now.  Had 4 inches of rain forecast for this week alone.  And we've gotten every little bit of it.  I tried to finish all my ladder work before the rain made the ground soggy, that and muddy rungs on the ladder make things interesting. 90% of the work on the house is done, just yard stuff to go but I have to wait until the grass stops growing. 

We also have a new problem here with an invasive bug.  The Brown Marmorated Stink Bug.  I've tried to not put up any controllers as I'm worried about them getting into the controllers and shorting them out.  I was swarmed with dozens and dozens of them as I was setting up lights in the heat.  They've gone into hiding now, hopefully not into the lone controller on the house.  In next year's off season I am going to have to figure out a way to seal the housings up better to keep the bugs out.  Horrible new problem. 

-RainyOregonchriStmaS

We also have a new problem here with an invasive bug.  The Brown Marmorated Stink Bug.  I've tried to not put up any controllers as I'm worried about them getting into the controllers and shorting them out.  I was swarmed with dozens and dozens of them as I was setting up lights in the heat.  They've gone into hiding now, hopefully not into the lone controller on the house.  In next year's off season I am going to have to figure out a way to seal the housings up better to keep the bugs out.  Horrible new problem. 

-RainyOregonchriStmaS

I can relate. A couple years ago I had a problem with wasp nesting in controller housing (and spiders too) that's mounted outside year round. Opened it up to connect cat5 and wooo, look out....

Cleaned it up and placed steel wool in the openings. Since then, not even a spider goes in there now. Fiddle-Backs and Black-Widows are common in dark, cool places around here.

But maybe stink bugs might help keep theft of controllers down a little. :)

Have to tell the wife about the christmas police.

Best of all the few weeks back  told the wife the neighbor called and said readng in the local paper that      we needed a permit to display christmas lights and the cost was around 150 depending on the amount of lights being displayed.

Watts UP!

A permit to display lights??? Wow, never heard that one before

NO NO It was a joke to pay the wife back.

BUT who knows someday (hope not)

• The topic was locked