• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul C

• t2gren

• Surfing4Dough

• james campbell

The New Version is Done :waycool:

The plug-in now supports up to 16 channels, and you can configure each channel individually (or use presets similar to the old ones).

You can get it from the same place: http://www.nopotatos.com/LORVis/

( Or grab the installer directly from: here )

I haven't updated the information on the web page yet, I'm hoping to get to that tomorrow.

I'd appreciate it if someone with a 16 channel controller could try it out and let me know if channels 9 - 16 work (make sure to select a preset with 16 channels or enable them from the properties). I don't have a 16 channel box to test on.

Enjoy!

Daniel wrote

Im in the middle between geek and non-geek. I have done a little programming in VB but it is nothing to even bother with. I am verry suprised at what you can do with WMP and was wondering if you could teach me some C++ code so I can try to make somthing like you did.

I don't know about teaching you all of C++ but maybe I can get you started. :smile:

First, go here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/download/
and get Visual C++ Express Edition. The Express Editions are basically free versions of the full Visual Studio 2005 from Microsoft. They don't have all the features of the full version but they're really very powerful.

I put together a slightly simpler version of my plugin that you can download to play with:
http://www.nopotatos.com/LORVis/LORVisExpress.zip

Extract that zip file somewhere, then double click the LORVis.sln file. It should open up in Visual C++ Express (if not, you may need to start VC++ from the Start menu and open the file).

There's a lot of code in there, but most of it is just boilerplate windows COM functions. The most interesting thing is in the CLORVis::Render function in LORVis.cpp. That's where the actual transformation is done from the sound data provided by WMP into light levels we can send to the LOR box.

Play around with it some, see if you can make it work. Feel free to email me or SM me on this board if you have any questions.

Hint: MSDN ( http://msdn.microsoft.com ) is your best friend when it comes to this stuff.

ps - Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I've been spending all my time working on the new version of the plugin.

kmesolella wrote:

Can this be done in Visual Basic? I'm not very good, but I would also like to know how this was done. I do not have LOR, but I would like to do a similar thing for my programs.

It should be possible to implement a visualization in VB.NET or C# using the COM interop stuff. I started to do it but there's a lot of stuff that's really a lot easier if you don't have to worry about .NET and the CLR. You might want to try googleing for "VB media player visualization" or similar, I'm sure someone else has tried it.

I'm also not sure if you could get the performance from VB or .NET to keep the visuals synched, but it would certainly be worth a try.

yeutterg wrote:

I have to say that I just set it up and it is very cool. I guess you could call us beta testers. as a beta tester I would say that some songs, of course, synch better than others. Frank Sinatra's Let it Snow and God Rest by Inspired Jazz work very well, while wizards in Winter did not come out as well.
Anyway, Great Job

Greg

You're certainly beta testers, but I don't really see this ever getting out of beta, unless someone wanted to pay me to work on it full time :cool:

I've noticed that playing around with the channel configuration can help get a better result from different types of music. Some songs just have more range though and they seem to work out better.

Merit wrote:

The New Version is Done :waycool:

I'd appreciate it if someone with a 16 channel controller could try it out and let me know if channels 9 - 16 work (make sure to select a preset with 16 channels or enable them from the properties). I don't have a 16 channel box to test on.

Enjoy!
Hi... I did a very quick test and it did talk to all 16 channels.

On my machine, it works well but about every 10-20 seconds the lights turn off for about 5 seconds and then go back to normal. I don't think it's hardware, because it's
a dell with xp home 256 mb ram 40gb? hd, sound blaster live and nvidea geforce 4.
Thoughts? Comments? Maybe a reinstall?
Greg

Anybody yet have this work with D-light controller? I have been trying and no communication to controller. LOR and D-light utility work though. Anything I can do to the plug-in to try?

rvcullen wrote:

Anybody yet have this work with D-light controller? I have been trying and no communication to controller. LOR and D-light utility work though. Anything I can do to the plug-in to try?

Hi, I have no idea how D-Lights' controllers are implemented so this is just a guess. It could be that the comm port is not selected correctly. You can click in the middle of the visualization screen and get a menu where you can change the comm port.

Merit wrote:

kmesolella wrote:
Can this be done in Visual Basic? I'm not very good, but I would also like to know how this was done. I do not have LOR, but I would like to do a similar thing for my programs.

It should be possible to implement a visualization in VB.NET or C# using the COM interop stuff. I started to do it but there's a lot of stuff that's really a lot easier if you don't have to worry about .NET and the CLR. You might want to try googleing for "VB media player visualization" or similar, I'm sure someone else has tried it.

I'm also not sure if you could get the performance from VB or .NET to keep the visuals synched, but it would certainly be worth a try.
I have Visual Basic 4.0. I will have to research it alot before I will know if this will work with my version.

• 7 months later...

Has anyone had any success getting this to work with the USB -> RS485 adapter? I've selected the right COM & device ID however nothing happens. LOR & LOR Hardware utility work OK. Now that I've got my hardware all setup I was hoping try this plugin out :)

I am using WMP 10.00.00.4036.

Dan

Dan yes I have the usb485b and have used the visualizer on both version 8 and 10 of windows media. If I member right you need to go into the visualizer settings and make sure your using the correct add-on. Then go into the LORvis settings and select the ammount of channels you will be controlling. You can only control one controller at a time unless you set all the controllers to share the same id #. Feel free to PM or email me for any help.

• 3 months later...

Actually, I have climbed the steep steep curve far enough to have it working, modified to run 2 controllers on individual channels each changing the sequence slightly, pretty cool piece of software.

It is not for public release, that is up to Merit to make it a good program, mine is a hack to say the least.

Jerry