Light-O-Rama Forums

issues...help please

paralegalnc

so I am testing my boxes... the same as I have done the past two years... now all of a sudden I have issues.

got the USB 485 in the port that I want to use.... hooked it to a new controller.... plugged it up...light flashing green.  did the auto config in HU and it say Unable to locate LOR port... check that the controller is connected...

I done all that. 

If I use the Comm 3 like I have in the past and search the network....nothing.

what am I missing....

the flashing light should turn solid when it is connected to the computer and the HU is turned on that means that the box and the HU are talking back in forth if not then it could be possible that that port is bad might have to try another one. I have that issue on one of my boxes and I have to us the smaller phone jack plug

bad cable? Look inside of the controller's actual ports and see that all of the very fine pins/wire fingers are properly in position.

+1 on the driver, since it's a new computer that is usally overlooked.

this is true i had the same issue when i set up my back up computer. But for me it looks like i will be sending 2 controllers to LOR to get at least one port fixed on each of them thank goodness i was able to still link them with a couple being bad. Just had to buy some phone cord.... :D

• 4 weeks later...

ok, so this is weird, got allll new shielded cat 5s.  downloaded the software I guess, from the LOR site.. says it's up to date.  STILL didnt work... got this one old cable... and it works.  found all the units.  it seems that from the 485 to the first box I need to use this one particular cable. it has worked everytime with this one cable.  put in a new one....nothing... and then when I click a button in the HU... it says "not responding".... even got out my computer I used last year... I didn't have this issue last year... or the year prior... did the same thing... couldn't find it.  just plain weird.

Did you by chance buy all new "Crossover" cables instead of "Patch" cables? They are different. You need "Patch" cables.

That was the question. 

Are they "patch cables" simply in your terminology, or are they specifically labeled as patch cables?

Take a look at both ends of a cable. I suggest holding the two ends so the cable is towards you and the locking tab on the bottom. This way you are looking at the pins on the top with the connectors pointed away from you. Look at the wire colors which normally show between the cable jacket and the pins. Do they appear to be the same color order? Yea, I know it's hard to tell sometimes. Does not really matter what the colors are for this discussion, only that they are the same at both ends.

If the colors don't match, most likely the leftmost pins (pins 1 & 2) will be swapped with pins 5 & 6. If they are not the same, you have a cable that wont work for LOR.

If you bought the cables on-line, can you supply a link so we can check out the description?

Maybe this is why I crimp all my own connectors...

I make my own after having issues with cables being mislabeled from the vender. I bought patch cables that ended up being crossover.

I've also invested in an "ideal cable tester" capable of testing cat, phone, and coax. Well worth the money.

Hope you find the problem.

http://www.showmecables.com/category/Cat5e-Patch-Cables.aspx

here is the link where I got the cable.  But here is the deal.  I understand if one or maybe two cords... but I bought 10... and ALLLLL 10 are bad? and ALLLLLLL the cables that I had last year... that we made... and some new don't work too?? except this ONE cord.  the kicker is.. it's only from the 485 to the first box..... same cables are daisy chained to other units and they work fine.  it's just if I use it from the computer to the first box.. it is weird...

Check the pins in both sets of RJ45 connectors on the first controller that your cable runs too from the USB adapter. The small wire fingers may be depressed, therefore not far enough to make connection. I had one, the fingers looked fine but it wouldn't work most of the time, then on its own, it would...briefly, then fail again. Again, those finger wires looked good but I brought the controller inside, sat down with a magnifying glass and good light...sure enough, they were all pushed in! Using very small tweezers, I was able to pulll them all out and sure enough, it works now. I'm sort of wondering if your one cable that does work, might have better protruding contacts, therefore it works?