Light-O-Rama Forums

Just moved over to LOR Software

thedementedelf

I just jumped over to LOR software from those other guys. Just too many problems with that program. I will probably run my first LOR driven show tonight or tomorrow night. I have the latest update to LORI, what would be the advantage to upgrading to LORII?

I know down the road, compatibility with the boards I'm using now will be gone. Should I stick with LORI?

Help

There are a ton of new features-- see the announcement link.

Not sure what the future holds for those "other" boards. This current version is set to time out in (I think) 6 months and become inoperable-- so if the firmware ever changes, and LOR II software quits supporting the old firmware, you might be in a mind with your "other brand" controllers... Only LOR could know for sure... maybe they'll do a competitive trade-up or something...

-Tim

Tim Fischer wrote:

There are a ton of new features-- see the announcement link.

Not sure what the future holds for those "other" boards. This current version is set to time out in (I think) 6 months and become inoperable-- so if the firmware ever changes, and LOR II software quits supporting the old firmware, you might be in a mind with your "other brand" controllers... Only LOR could know for sure... maybe they'll do a competitive trade-up or something...

-Tim

Tim: So the new LOR II will only work for 6 months? If that's the case I'm better off for now staying with LOR II. I know its changing horses in mid stream, but at least it sounds like if I stay with LOR I, I can at least still stay on the horse.

thedementedelf wrote:

Tim: So the new LOR II will only work for 6 months? If that's the case I'm better off for now staying with LOR II. I know its changing horses in mid stream, but at least it sounds like if I stay with LOR I, I can at least still stay on the horse.

It's a "gamma" version that times out, but don't quote me on the exact period. After that, a new version will be available. But since the "other" boards emulated LOR, and not the other way around, it isn't clear what the support for them and LOR II will be in the future... It was my understanding at one point in the game that LOR II was going to require new firmware. Not sure if that's still true, and if the old firmware would still be emulated... But obviously LOR isn't going to write firmware for contollers they didn't make, so that would have to come from the other guys.

-Tim

According to Dan's previous posts, new firmware will be required after the Gamma version, but they did not want to introduce it this close to the Christmas season. I believe Dan also mentioned that the Gamma expires sometime around May (6 months after release). However, the new version will be released at that time. Dan had been saying for the past year that a firmware upgrade would be required, which is the main reason that I never purchased any of the competitor's boards (I had been looking at the DC board until LOR said they would be releasing one. Of course, my plans changed and I didn't need the board after all). LOR has a lot of new hardware out and more on the drawing board. I would say, go with what you have now and when the firmware change is released, sell the other boards if they are not compatible.