Light-O-Rama Forums

Computer specs to run LOR and large amount of RGB

stanward

Hello,

I am wondering what horsepower is needed to run a large amount of RGB pixels with LOR?  I understand LOR is a 32-bit program and is limited in the amount of memory it can use, but I have not heard on CPU recommendations.

I am also wondering what size are your lms files due to the use of large amounts of RGB?

Stan

I run a i5 3768?I think with 16gig of ram and a off the board video card. It runs close to 20k of channels and 350 LOR channels of Ac, The 4 gig patch is a must if not you will crash many times without it. My sequences are around 500meg  to 1 gig. The visualizer skips a little when heavy RGB colors are being used. I did not see a lag in the show last year.

I will not add anymore to LOR till they make changes to the software to support RGB's a little better.

• Like 1

Thank you for your response Jeff!

I have some sequences that are rather large as well (350MB to 500MB).  If I add up all of my show files together, I get over 2.5GB.

Edited by stanward

I think the biggest I have this year is right at 600MB. Last year it was a little bigger and I did not have an issue with the lights but did have with the visualizer playback.

jeff

I am concerned about my computer specs this year also.  Have used a low end laptop for the past several years without problems, but I have really upped the ante this year by adding video, three dmx moving heads, dmx snow machine, and a couple other dmx devices.  Have added around 2000 pixels over 14 E1.31 networks, plus the 400+ regular LOR channels.  Have been setting up for about a month now and test each new section of the display as I go, about once a week.  Have noticed that the show seems to bog down, especially when the video is added into the mix.  Not sure of the specs on the laptop at the moment, but know it only has 1 meg of memory.  Been looking at some refurbished computers on Newegg to use strictly to run the show.  Would 4 megs of memory be enough for what I have mentioned or should I go to 8 megs?  Does the processor speed really make much difference in running the show?  LOR only uses a single core right now, is that right?  If so, shouldn't make any difference whether I get a duo or a quad core -- correct?  What is the general concensus for the minimum speed for the processor?  I suspect all these variables will change when the new version of LOR is released, but I am hoping that whatever I get this year will be good for next year since the new version of LOR should be more efficient.  Finally, am I making a false assumption that the amount of available memory is the key factor in selecting a computer?

Hi Denny,

I have been using a cheap HP computer purchased back in 2012 to run my show (2012 and 2013).  It is a weak AMD processor.  I had a difficult time running my show last year because of the addition of 1200 RGB pixels with one E682.  I plan on adding another 1200 RGB pixel with another E682.  My file sizes may double.

You are right that LOR only uses a single core (32-bit).  But I think 1GB of RAM is way too small to do anything.  Prior to 2012, I used refurbished PCs from Dell with great results because I was only running less than 300 channels.  I plan on purchasing a better PC soon.  I got an email from HP that they have a 10% discount on all computers from their site.

I don't know if you can compare CPU speeds relative to each other, as there are many other factors that may affect the performance (L2 cache size comes to mind).  I hope you looked into running the 4GB patch for all LOR applications.  I would highly recommend 8GB of RAM for your show machine.

• Like 1

Hi Denny,

I have been using a cheap HP computer purchased back in 2012 to run my show (2012 and 2013).  It is a weak AMD processor.  I had a difficult time running my show last year because of the addition of 1200 RGB pixels with one E682.  I plan on adding another 1200 RGB pixel with another E682.  My file sizes may double.

You are right that LOR only uses a single core (32-bit).  But I think 1GB of RAM is way too small to do anything.  Prior to 2012, I used refurbished PCs from Dell with great results because I was only running less than 300 channels.  I plan on purchasing a better PC soon.  I got an email from HP that they have a 10% discount on all computers from their site.

I don't know if you can compare CPU speeds relative to each other, as there are many other factors that may affect the performance (L2 cache size comes to mind).  I hope you looked into running the 4GB patch for all LOR applications.  I would highly recommend 8GB of RAM for your show machine.

Thanks, I think you just saved me some money!  I do have the 4K patch installed on my sequencing machine, really speeds things up as far as copying and pasting,  I think I will just use that machine when it comes time to run the show; can't remember the CPU speed, but it is an older, AMD quad processor.  More importantly, it has 16 GB of RAM.  I might need to get a video card for it though, since the video output from the motherboard has been adequate for what I have used this desktop for -- don't game or watch videos on it.  Hate to invest in another computer until I know what the new LOR program needs to run smoothly.

• 3 weeks later...

My sequencing machine is a monster I7 Quad Core, 4 gig GPU.  BUT my show machine is a 4 year old HP I3 dual core with 6 gigs of ram.  It runs the show just fine with no issues.  We are 100% RGB with just over 4000 pixels.

If you are going to add Video, that eats more resources.. I would make sure the swap file on the hard drive is a decent size. The one thing that I have found that really speeds things up and the cost isn't bad is to use an SSD drive for the shows and operating system. Have either a large thumb drive on hand for the swap file to be moved to as SSD's are getting better, but the Read /Writes like crazy can kill them. I am using an Old IBM T61P with the SSD. Things move along, but I don't have 10,000 channels +....yet :)

I'll go the reverse of how great some show computers are. LOL. Mine is an old dell Inspiron windows XP centrino with 2 gigs of ram and a fuzzy display. It sits in the garage and just chugs away.

It is however only running 32 ac channels and 700+ RGB channels on e1.31. I can't believe it still chugs along.