Light-O-Rama Forums

RS485 Adapter

ezimnow

without thinking I hooked up my 6 CCR's to my Ethernet port and by passed the adapter...I burned out the Ethernet port...Why?

I wanted to try a USB to Ethernet adapter but that doesn't seem to work either. I did for a short time but then kicked out   Why?

I wasn't thinking and by accident after working with my pixels for a month or so I wanted to try out my CCR's and hence had a lapse in thought and bypassed the adapter. It didn't take more than a minute before I noticed the smell...Jeeze..just curious as to why this happened

I thought I could bypass the Ethernet port and use my adapter but that only worked for a few minutes and that cut out?  

Ideas as to why?

Thanks

without thinking I hooked up my 6 CCR's to my Ethernet port and by passed the adapter...I burned out the Ethernet port...Why?

I wanted to try a USB to Ethernet adapter but that doesn't seem to work either. I did for a short time but then kicked out   Why?

I wasn't thinking and by accident after working with my pixels for a month or so I wanted to try out my CCR's and hence had a lapse in thought and bypassed the adapter. It didn't take more than a minute before I noticed the smell...Jeeze..just curious as to why this happened

I thought I could bypass the Ethernet port and use my adapter but that only worked for a few minutes and that cut out?  

Ideas as to why?

Thanks

Two different protocols at work here. One is RS485, the other is TCP/IP (ethernet, etc.) The two are not compatible, and bad things sometimes happen when they are connected to each other.

When you say you used a "USB to Ethernet adapter" was this one provided by LOR, or a third party adaptor?

I wouldn't be surprised if there is damage to both your local ethernet adapter, as well as the controller(s) that were connected to it.

third part adapter.....using it for my RGB since my Ethernet port is shot....but that seems to lose it's signal....

The CCR's were the only thing hooked up at the time and when I moved them over to the RS485 they worked fine...so luckily no damage to the CCR's ...

So now trying to see if I can bypass the Ethernet port and use the adapter for the RGB but it doesn't appear like I can...

Edited by ezimnow

If the TCPIP port in your computer is hosed, you can buy an add-on card with TCPIP. You'll need to know the buss type of the computer to get the correct card type but once you install it and installl the drivers(if needed) you'll be able to move forward again.