Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding and removing channels

oilmoney

I know that It's bad to add channels in the middle of your master track, put them at the bottom! What about deleting unused/unwanted channels. I'm doing a couple last minute additions and deletions to the display and just want to make sure I don't screw something up by deleting some channels. Should I just leave them as spares?

Leave the empty channels where they are. NEVER modify the order of channels in your master track, except to add new ones to the bottom. Delete any/all channel info, but leave the empty line physically there.

While I believe that this is the standard practice, to add new channels to the bottom of a sequence, I for years though, I have been adding channels into the middle of my Master Track. Granted I have a fairly sophisticated method of doing this, and it involves multiple inserted "spacer" dummy channels which separate feature vignettes at the same time, provides visual alignment markers. So it can be done. You have to fully understand that the Import Channel Configuration is completely dumb. It goes top to bottom and if there is any discrepancy between the Template that created the import file and the importing sequence, your channels will be messed up.

I do this side by side in the SE, with the Master Template and the sequence file. You have to first prepare the sequence by adding or deleting channels to match what WILL be imported. Then perform the import, and then verify one more time to ensure things are not messed up. After the first 2-3 sequences, you have the exact step memorized to accomplish this.

Just another view point.

Edited by zman

Right on zman. Each year I add stuff to the show, and most often it's stuff that works hand in hand with stuff that's already there. In order to easily sequence the new elements, I want them meshed with the existing ones. And in order to use them in all of this year's sequences, the channel config needs to be the same. Configure one sequence the way you like it, then export the channel configuration. For the rest of the sequences you will use this year, insert new blank channels in all of the the same positions and then import your new channel configuration. Then you can get to work teaching your new stuff what you want it to do.

I hadn't thought about using blank unused unassigned channels to separate groups of elements. You can name them with a description of the group. That's excellent.

Mike, right with approaching 600 channels it is a PITA to have to move them one at a time to wherever they go.

I normally use "Groups" to name a vignette or section. I label the blank "Spacer" and the nice part about doing it that way, is that you can copy your beat track or another track to the spacer row and it helps for alignment or whatever else you need it for. I have a LOT of the Spacers in my channel map. Here is a few small pics showing a section. 

post-58-0-87537600-1413059435_thumb.gif