Light-O-Rama Forums

how many channels to use for a chase

packen

I've got a bunch of those lighted candy canes from walmart and want to set them up to chase. What is the recommended number of channels i should use to get a good effect?. I'm also building a few tomato cage trees and want them to chase also.

Depends on what you are lighting. I have 17 roses in my yard that each have lights, therefore I use 17 channel (actually 51 channel because the are RGB), and on the other extreme, I have chases that involve hundreds of channels.

I have 70 candy canes so each having their own channel is out of the question. I thought maybe 6 or 8 channels but wasn't sure. Thanks for your answers.

7 is best. Not only can you match beats (if that's really all you want your arches to do) but 7 gives you significantly more sequencing options.

You really need at least three channels to make a decent chase.  Two just looks like they go back and forth.

You need 3 channels to do a chase. So if you have 15 candy canes you could put every 3rd one on the same channel giving you 5 per channel.

Why does 7 give you more sequencing options than 8?

For an arch - if you have 7 (or any odd number of) channels (segments) you can have a "top" segment with an even number of segments on either side. So you can do things like a "clap" or reverse clap and either end or start right in the middle of the arch. If you have an even number of segments you can't do that. 

Edited by TonyD

I am doing this with 8 now on my arches. 4 on each side. Works fine.

Typically 4 beats in most songs so 8 works well for me.