Light-O-Rama Forums

power supply

mike1952

what kind of power supply do i need from my home to the controller. I purchased a 128 system and I kinda need help getting started please. Last year i had just 48 outlets and i just used an extension cord to one outlet from my home. Please help if you can.   Mike 

The controllers can handle up to 30 amps, each. If you have 128 channels you have 8 controllers. Each of those controllers could use up to 30 amps. Thus you would need at least 16, 15 amps circuits to power them all.

All that said, you probably aren't going to run each controller at it's maximum capacity. You'll need as much power available as you plan to use. Thus if your total display ends up at 40 amps total, then 5, 15 amp circuits would do the trick. If you are using a total of 5 amps across your entire display, then you'd need only 1 circuit, and the controllers would all plug into that one.

Absolutely...LED's are great as they look nice and use very little power. Some also find that the incans are good for some parts of a display and of course they dim and fade without issue but they draw a lot of power. One other consideration is GFCI protection and how rain, snow, ice and etc...might impact you. Whatever or however you do it, don't take shortcuts and please make sure you are electrically safe out there.

I would highly recommend that you keep a running spreadsheet of your circuits. Go to Home Depot and get yourself an EZ Kill A Watt test meter and test all your circuits for amps and watts and keep all that info in the spreadsheet. Led's use a fraction of the power and you will be surprised how little or how much power you may be using when you connect the meter. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It depends on what kind of lights your running.

My mega tree is all LED so just one outlet for the whole thing (power strip used for the controllers).

DSC04987_zpsfd7cd3f0.jpg

DSC04975_zps0b9cd158.jpg

Better yet, how about a whole display on one household circuit?

Mine is. Everything is running on one circuit. And not a shimmer of indoor lights.

IMG_3263_zps63168b64.jpg

Oh, and welcome aboard.

Edited by Santas Helper