Light-O-Rama Forums

Wanting to cross over to RGB lights for everything.

jasoncampbell83

I've been running 2 LOR controllers for 4 years. I've been watching all these videos where all the same lights change different colors. What do I need as far as controllers and lights and etc to beable to control the color of one single strand of lights to different colors instead of buying 3 different colors of lights. Please point me in the right direction.

Light-O-Rama has a variety of RGB products that you could use. You could use the Bulbs on your roof, the Pixels on your bushes, mini-trees, etc., and the ribbons could be used just about anywhere.

Good info from Don CCR product line is easier to use and a bit more straight forward than the DYI route.  Be sure and read the into to RGB on the AusChristmasLighting board  (  http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=1141.0   ).  Also good videos on the LOR's video turorial section on the main LOR page.   Additional video's and info on Davids board  www.holidaycoro.com  and on www.seasonalentertainmnetllc.com.   

Lots of stuff to digest but worth every minute of it.

Yes sign up on the Ausie Board and you will be able to download the PDF file (it is under 3 channel RGB then look for the 101 tutorial on the top of the section). Once you sign up the link should take you directly to the message with the PDF.

There board has been a bit ahead of our boards (USA) in regards to RGB stuff for a while.

I've been running 2 LOR controllers for 4 years. I've been watching all these videos where all the same lights change different colors. What do I need as far as controllers and lights and etc to beable to control the color of one single strand of lights to different colors instead of buying 3 different colors of lights. Please point me in the right direction.

jason, I have found dave at holidaycoro.com to be very helpful, I started with only rgb lights and dave has been a great help! i do have lots of sequencing i have been working on for my rgbs and am willing to share...i will psot a list by the end of day

RGB lights, controller, enclosure, power supply are cheaper than buying 4 stands of LED lights for each prop (bought 8 RGB ribbons and controller card from LOR as a package deal - cheaper during their annual summer sale).

I plan to convert all my lights to RGB next year as well as adding some CCR's.

$470 for 8 RGB ribbons and controller card. Need to add a power supply and an enclosure. Some wire and cordsets and your good to go. There are other vendors that can supply similar products that are even cheaper than LOR.

In past years, I would order 1 strand of red, green, blue and white LEDs, zip tie together for each prop. Uses 4 outputs and limited to the four colors.

With RGB, you have an endless choice of colors to choose from!

If you go CCR......that's another story! Awesome, but costly.

So basically I would need a light o rama dc card and rgb lights and i'm set?

And DC power supply.

The LOR DC board is for dumb RGB lights. If you want smart....then CCDs.

And how many lor channels does a dc board control sorry all new to this. If someone had a how to video explaning how to hook up every thing and how to program and etc that would be awesome.

And how many lor channels does a dc board control

The CMB24 controls 8 RGB channels. (That's 24 individual channels.)

After you get your RGB ribbons/lights and channel configuration planned, then you have to add up the power required to figure out what size and how many power supplies to purchase. You can use a single power supply to power multiple controllers (assuming the power supply has enough power for all lights connected), or up to 2 power supplies per controller (if you are putting a large number of lights per channel).

Cheaper solutions :: 

Get the 24 channel controller from LOR.  Thats 8 strands of RGB control.

Look at the link below from Amazon.  They run about $16 for 16 feet.   They can be cut up and tapped into for almost any length.

I have had 0 ... ZERO... problems from them (the 3M sticky backing does suck, so plan on better glue)  They are nicely waterproofed and very bright.

http://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-TM-Waterproof-Epoxy-Strip/dp/B0085IXEYS/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1412104200&sr=8-18&keywords=rgb+led+strip

I bought 4 rolls of it, cut each roll in half and had an 8' RGB tree for about 75 + the controller card cost.

The controller will also control RGB Flood lights.  If you want floods, I also suggest the below link at $14 per 10w flood light.  NOTE!  You will have to modify the inside a little bit to make it work with LOR.  (you remove the circuit card and plug, and solder your wires to the LED inside, super easy)

http://www.amazon.com/Remote-Control-Waterproof-Flood-Different/dp/B005KYOE2Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1412104312&sr=8-3&keywords=rgb+10w+flood

You will need an upgrade to the LOR software most likely.

Check facebook  'osprey loop drum'  and thats the LED tree I made.

**Now the power supply.

Last year I used a deep cycle battery I had from my camper.  It would last about 5 days of shows, and I would recharge it then.

This year, I 'hacked' a computer power supply for the 12v and I have not tested it yet, but it should be enough for 8 RGB strands at least.   If not I'll use the deep cycle battery's again.   You CAN use a car battery, but deep cycle will last longer and is better to drain and charge than a car battery.

Edited by chandalen

Cheaper solutions :: 

Get the 24 channel controller from LOR.  Thats 8 strands of RGB control.

Look at the link below from Amazon.  They run about $16 for 16 feet.   They can be cut up and tapped into for almost any length.

I have had 0 ... ZERO... problems from them (the 3M sticky backing does suck, so plan on better glue)  They are nicely waterproofed and very bright.

http://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-TM-Waterproof-Epoxy-Strip/dp/B0085IXEYS/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1412104200&sr=8-18&keywords=rgb+led+strip

I bought 4 rolls of it, cut each roll in half and had an 8' RGB tree for about 75 + the controller card cost.

The controller will also control RGB Flood lights.  If you want floods, I also suggest the below link at $14 per 10w flood light.  NOTE!  You will have to modify the inside a little bit to make it work with LOR.  (you remove the circuit card and plug, and solder your wires to the LED inside, super easy)

http://www.amazon.com/Remote-Control-Waterproof-Flood-Different/dp/B005KYOE2Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1412104312&sr=8-3&keywords=rgb+10w+flood

You will need an upgrade to the LOR software most likely.

Check facebook  'osprey loop drum'  and thats the LED tree I made.

**Now the power supply.

Last year I used a deep cycle battery I had from my camper.  It would last about 5 days of shows, and I would recharge it then.

This year, I 'hacked' a computer power supply for the 12v and I have not tested it yet, but it should be enough for 8 RGB strands at least.   If not I'll use the deep cycle battery's again.   You CAN use a car battery, but deep cycle will last longer and is better to drain and charge than a car battery.

Thanks for the info do you know any website or videos that shows  people connecting the board to the lor and how they are running their rgb lights to lor for like a setup REF guide for dummys like my self. I just want to see how its all setup I will be using 2 lor's. Any help would be great.

Attached is a picture of my 24ch RGB LOR controller.post-13001-0-49934200-1412173630_thumb.j  I bought the pigtail wires and they screw in the posts on the board.   The card has its power terminals on the left.  Ground is shared, and each bank 1-4 and 5-8 are fused seperatly.

Basically each grouping 1-8 is in itself 3 channels.  You dont NEED to use red  green  and blue for those colours.  You could have 24 individual LED lights or 8 RGB lights, or any combination in between.

You must have bank 1 powered, or use a 12v plug adapter (on the right of the card) to power the card.

With my version of the card, you have to set the DIP switches to set the identification of the card so LOR can identify it correctly.  It does not auto set.

A LAN cable is daisy chained to the next LOR board and so on.  As long as each board has its own ID code then there wont be a problem.

The boxes below are some LED lights I will be using as strobe lights.  They can be blue or white (2 channels), so I can have 12 of them on this card.