Light-O-Rama Forums

Weatherproof Box for the CCR's

scuubydoo3

Hey Guys.... So I've bought my first big set of LOR lights for my first house. I've been waiting a long time to do this and I think I've overwhelmed myself with it. To tally up... I bought 17 CCR's, 40 dumb RGB ribbons w/ extensions, and 8 RGB Floods w/ extensions along with all the required boards and such. I am using a suitable weatherproof box for the controller and power supply for the RGB's.

I spoke with some of the guys at LOR and they said that I have to enclose the CR150D controller and powersupply for the CCR's also. They clearly aren't waterproof. They are smaller and I have 17 of them to do!!

I was wondering if anyone on here has any ideas or suggestions on what to do about this dilemma? I would appreciate any kind of ideas thrown at me. As I'm sure I will have more to come on this enormous project. Thanks!!

I have some bigger boxes that I can sell ya if interested. I am work at work for the night so I can send you them tomorrow if your intrested. These are brand new I have three of them. Shoot me your email in a pm if intrested. 

I only have 3 CCRs on my roofline. I use cg 500 to house them and have them tucked under the eaves of my house. They stay up year round.

If you have them in the yard then something bigger will work. Go here and look for cases...at least this is my source. Other sources available.

http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=16

Thanks Sax.... That CG 500 looks perfect to box up the CR150D and power supply for the CCR's. The website doesn't give any details of the box though. Is it weatherproof, does it have holes on the bottom for the wires to come out and what are the dimensions? If you have 3 of these out year-round than I'm sure it'll work. I just wanna make sure before I buy enough for all my CCR's.

That's a great website though. Lots of interesting things.. Thanks!

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/23186-anyone-else-building-a-frame-for-a-12-ribbon-ccr-tree/?p=252262

See this post. More pictures on my web-site in my signature below.  You can get this box at home depot or Lowes.

I have 12 ribbons and put 6 in each box, but I'm sure I could gotten a few more installed in there.

I also used CG500 boxes when needing to store single CCR controer and power supply. I no longer use CCRs and have a few boxes to sell if you want a few at a cheaper rate.

I mostly use zip-lock freezer bags affixed with the zip-lock end down and cinched tight with wire ties.  Since 2009 I've had exactly zero issues with this method.  

These are great suggestions everyone. I have 40 RGB Ribbons with 8 RGB Floods and the bigger box that Frank has on his website looks like something that I could use that for. Where did you get that box at? It's the one pictured in your "Building LED Trim" section of your photo gallery. Great pictures Frank!

George do you do custom sequences? My light setup is anything special but if i had one or tow sequences started i could get a good idea on how to do ones in the future. That would save me alot of time.

Thanks everyone for the ideas!!

Yeah cg 500 weatherproof with holes and foam on the bottom.

Here is another source but he is out of stock. Data sheet on his web page for the box at least.

http://store.creativelightingdisplays.com/CableGuard-CG-500-Enclosure-CG-500.htm

I don't know how far away you are from me but I do have 8 or 9 extra of these boxes. If you want to look at before buying your welcome to.

That said, these things work perfect. So you won't be disappointed with them at all. Just know that they are 1 box per ribbon. The components are tight inside.

I just might have to try the Tupperware idea. Still some holes for the wires then weatherproof it all.

Thanks everyone for the ideas!!

I am out but should have more next week.

I also have about 10 that are used and come with a mounting board and Velcro straps to secure the controller and power supply. Couple of holes through the back too from being mounted. About half saw daylight for about 2 days...the rest about 2 months total over a couple years and may have some light overspray. Nothing that couldn't be cleaned off if it really mattered.

PM me if your interested.

Frank, the inside did not get hot.

The large box will get warm, but not hot. I didn't vent it because I didn't want moisture to get in it.  The outside temps are typically no higher than 50 here during the winter and that keeps the box cool enough.

I bought tupperware boxes to house 4 each that are stackable. velcroed them down upright in the boxes then placed them in this box (below link) from home depot. they have never got hot or anything plus it rolls.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-37-in-Mobile-Job-Box-037025H/202300294 

• 2 weeks later...

I highly recommend Frank Farmer's boxes.  I have two for my 12 CCR's and it worked great last year.  I even adapted the idea and built a controller box for my CMB24 controller card.  

Check out Frank's article on building an aluminum frame for a 12 CCR tree and you will find just about everything you need to build one.

• 3 weeks later...