Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR S3 update?

Alan Hanson

dgrant, yes, you are right...software can be complex and time consuming.  However, the amount of effort into LOR's software over the period of a year has been anything but.  A simple comparison of the progress all the other software out there is simple proof.  Heck, NC has come out with so many enhancements and revisions AFTER LOR purchased their code, that it'll be outdated by the time LOR decides to do their first release. 

I don't think we are asking for an exact date of release.  Instead, we are asking for something extremely simple: communication.  dgrant, I'm sure when you were doing your coding, you had to communicate often (possibly an update everyday) on your progress, setbacks, deadlines, etc.  We haven't had any software communication update for months.  When you run a seasonal business whose customers (that's us) need to make decisions to meet deadlines (holidays), your business should be supporting the customers with communications to allow preparation and planning to take place.  You need to communicate the bad news with the good.  No communication is just all bad.

I couldn't agree more with needing more communications. But what every doesn't understand is we are not LOR main customer base. We as the Christmas light community are a very small percentage of LOR business so what I have been told by people close to LOR. And they're main buisness isn't focused on RGB devices. Just something to consider. Yeah I doubt that we won't see any real big improvements this year and that sucks. Communications would be great for us little consumer!!

When I was writing code, I was on my own to create as I deemed needed. I was in a unique position that I was not only the programmer but I was also a "user" of the same code. So I was able to identify improvements and enhancements. It was always a very stressful time for me when I actually released a new version in hopes it was going to really work! lol. Even though I retired, my code is still in-use. I think they are a bit concerned to try to change it themselves. As for LOR, I'm more than happy to be patient. I don't think they wish to announce they are planning this enhancement or other possible changes, that they may not be able to actually make work. Its possible too that they could have to actually scrap their main source code and start over with a whole new version to accomplish whatever goals they've set out but then comes the issues with older computers, differences with PC's vs Mac's and all the other complexities I've already mentioned.

I don't work for them, nor do I speak for them in any way but I do understand what they are going through. They know they are playing some catch-up for RGB things which exploded on the Christmas decorating scene as well people like myself who are opting for less expensive routes such as intelligent pixels as opposed to very expensive CCR's. What they don't want is to release a new version and have it not work as expected...something I can totally relate too. In all my years, I only had one time that mine didn't work as expected and when I got the first phone call, I knew instantly what I messed up, how I missed it and how all the testing missed it. A simple true/false flag in the code. I had to force the change, re-release the code and get things going instantly. The manager was not happy with me but I fixed it and life went on. I had one manager, tons of other people and a $200M+ spacecraft I was responsible for at the time whereas LOR has thousands of clients all across the globe.

• Like 1

I'm not sure it's all about RGB stuff though. The RGB people have been the most vocal on the board, but I'd think the majority are wanting updated light strand tools (that's what I want).

If the RGB stuff isn't as far along as expected, then at least the light strand people should have an update.

I wouldn't dump LOR ever because no one does light stands better...... and I don't  intend to go RGB. I just love huge masses of lights over RGB's (which are neat, but until they are affordable to deploy thousands of sets.... no way).

I posted earlier this year something to the effect of, if the updates come this year, fantastic. If they don't, I'll continue to use what I have. I have done that. I also said earlier this year, that I thought LOR was re-writing the software. At that time I also said it was just a gut feeling and I had zero info to back it up. I have continued on with my sequencing like an update would not be out this year. I will run my show with or without an update using the existing software. I am also willing to wait on a code that works properly as opposed to hurrying up to get an update that may have bugs, (as most new codes will have). It doesn't help anyone to have problems in the software during showtime. As far as I'm concerned, LOR can take as much time as they need to make it right. I'll still be here when it arrives.

• Like 1

I agree that LOR can take as long as they want to make changes/re-writes/etc.  But, I do believe they need to communicate.  If they don't make it this year, great...just let us know.  If it is going to take 3 years, great...fill us in on the details.  Remember, we all pay for annual software licensing renewals.  If no updates, then it doesn't make any sense to renew.

I haven't even found the time to learn Superstar, much less a different sequencing software. Doesn't much matter to me when LOR gets their upgrade finished and released - my show went on just fine last year and that same software will run it just fine this year also.

• Like 5

Realistically, At this point in time there is no reason whatesoever to change to new software. Why would you want to maybe introduce a problem into the mix. The current S3 and Superstar is good enough for me.

That's just it redsea300.  It is just good enough for you.  If you only have strings to control or a small amount of CCR's/Pixels, then it works fine.  It's not for me since I added a pixel tree.  It lags behind the music for me and take a long time to load each sequence.  So, I would say it is different for everyone depending upon the number of channels.

That's just it redsea300.  It is just good enough for you.  If you only have strings to control or a small amount of CCR's/Pixels, then it works fine.  It's not for me since I added a pixel tree.  It lags behind the music for me and take a long time to load each sequence.  So, I would say it is different for everyone depending upon the number of channels.

I respectfully disagree.

I ran over 6K channels last year, including a 16 x 50 pixel tree and had Zero lag. I have over 11k channels this year. If you're looking at the visualizer, then you will have all kinds of lag. once the lights go up , that will more than likely go away. My sequences take a long time to load also, but, once the show starts, and I'm using the compressed file along with the option of loading all sequences ahead of when they are needed, again, no lag what-so-ever. If you're using the scheduler and loading the sequences when they are needed, I would imagin you would have a time with it. Just select the option to load them prior to the show.

Edited by Ron Boyd

Good Information Ron....I hadn't realized that myself..I'm not seeing any Lag while testing but  thats just running my Pixels and not the controllers, will that make a difference? I did load the seq in the Scheduler just to see if they ran smooth and they seemed to but I did not select the option to load prior.

Ron, have you tested it with your 11k channels this year?  I am using mine with the compressed sequences and using the option to load them prior to the show, but I imagine it can't load them all into memory at once.  Then again...I'm using video sequences, so it has twice the amount to load.

Video sequences? And, now we're getting a little clearer picture. No, I have not tested all together yet but it's coming by Nov. 15.

I do, however, know someone personally who had over 25 k channels last year and he reported at our spring mini that S3 ran his sequences just fine. His problem was with water ingress on the pixels he bought.

I would imagine a video sequence would tax about anything. Wayne, I would imagine you would probably be one who would benefit greatly with the new updates, now that we know why you have lag. I would venture a guess that your sequences are at a minimum, twice as big as mine, probably more like 3 times.

Good Information Ron....I hadn't realized that myself..I'm not seeing any Lag while testing but  thats just running my Pixels and not the controllers, will that make a difference? I did load the seq in the Scheduler just to see if they ran smooth and they seemed to but I did not select the option to load prior.
If your pixels are running fine, I doubt adding your LOR controllers will have any impact, especially if you're running the 500k option. I would however, select the option to load prior to being needed, just in case. Edited by Ron Boyd

I ran 22k channels last year without a software problem. Show ran great. I expect the same results this year with or without a software update.

Ok so it was 22k channels. Thanks drug Doug for clarifying.

Oops :blink:

Edited by Ron Boyd

22k, 25k, to be honest i don't remember. Either way it ran fine. Just checked a sequence from this year and I am at 22,408 channels. 

Ron, I asked you not to let everyone know about my drug problem.

I'm running 12ccr tree, 5000 channel pixel tree 15 lor 16 channel ac controllers total of 5 networks 5 sequences with video attached around 12000 channels I'm satisfied

Count me in the "lag camp" this year.  Running video for the first time this year along with a couple thousand pixels, 21 LOR 16 channel controllers, 5 of the 24 channel controllers, and all the dmx moving heads, snow machines, etc.  I am definitely experiencing lag with the video loading.  Didn't know about the load in advance feature, guess because I never needed it in the past.  Where do you select that option?  I started set up a couple weeks ago and as I get things up, I periodically run a show with a couple sequences and am getting lag with the video loading.  Have not tried XLights for running the show, but may try it if I can't figure something out with the LOR show software (does XLights even allow video though?)