Light-O-Rama Forums

Halloween 2014! Maleficent & Sleeping Beauty's Castle!

thebaronn

Hello!

For several years we have been doing a live Halloween show and since this year Halloween is on a Friday (AWESOME! BIGGER, BETTER, LOUDER, LATER!!!) we decided to go big!

Our live show with be a loose version of Sleeping Beauty with a twist! So we have Sleeping Beauty's Castle being finished:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.799261070105295.1073741828.323555271009213&type=3

And of course, you can't have Sleeping Beauty's Castle without Maleficent (remember the good old days when Maleficent sentenced your child to death just because she didn't get an invite?)This will be a working Maleficent! (sorry, no fire, but pretty close!)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.819669344731134.1073741829.323555271009213&type=3

Hope you enjoy!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

post-953-0-64698300-1412455271_thumb.jpg

Any one know how to clear out all my old pictures so I can actually post new ones, instead of posting links?

And thank you Tony!

Edited by thebaronn

Absolutely 'Out of this World' WORK !!  Eric,  any chance will you do an additional show(s) after Halloween?  We would love to come out to see your 'live' show.   °o°

I hope to get it on the roof the week before Halloween. I wuld toss it up there this weekend, but I am going out of town the following week, so it is best it stays in the garage (incase I have made terrible mistakes and it explodes of something).

Here is the thread I have going over at DIYC.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?32273-Motor-question-for-a-Dragon-Prop-or-best-way-to-do

Basically using the LOR DC board to control 12V relays that control 12V linear actuators. The only issue is they are not that fast (had to take $$$ into consideration) but they work. It looks like as long as I have all actuators moving at the same time, you dn't notice the slowness..... Or just wishful thinking!

Thank you, I will get some video soon.

I have done similar props using pneumatic air cylinders and LOR controllers. Best thing is you don't have to use relays as the LOR DC controller can drive the valve solenoids directly. You can regulate the cylinder action for very fast or slow by flow control valves in line. Air cylinders and valves aren't that expensive either.

I have done similar props using pneumatic air cylinders and LOR controllers. Best thing is you don't have to use relays as the LOR DC controller can drive the valve solenoids directly. You can regulate the cylinder action for very fast or slow by flow control valves in line. Air cylinders and valves aren't that expensive either.

I had several conversations with members at DIYC about pneumatic cylinders but it seems to get the same amount of force (all the actuators are rated at 225lbs, and it looks like most air cylinders produce 100lbs of force per 100PSI )it would have been more expensive (each actuator is $50 including mounting brackets). Not to mention the purchase of an air compressor (yes, sadly it grew legs and walked away a while ago). And then there was the noise factor(obviously a matter of taste), I haven't heard a silent pneumatic prop with a lot of force, but I have only dabbled in pneumatics. Any links would be helpful. Still have 3 weeks til showtime! Never too late to change!

• 3 weeks later...

I posted sme new photos of out Maleficent Dragon. Pretty much done, just have one issue with a counte balance for the neck and I have to trim the wings,

https://www.facebook.com/happyholidayhome#!/happyholidayhome/photos/ms.c.eJw9zNsNADEIA8GOTrwx~;Td2kpPwOVoMohKWjpYK6Ae6NL1dQ67TTHygtZ337Wt26es~_e397BK3b~_a~;n~;YPTyPW5x~;UEe8ezscv8p9InGw~-~-.bps.a.819669344731134/846582722039796/?type=1&theater

5 days!!!

• Like 1

That looks amazing!

I hope after Halloween you post a how to build!

I would love that Dragon for my Castle display! 

It was raining! Everyone has umbrellas....

I started the show anyway!

My daughter got cold feet and did not want to be Elsa anymore. You can see me walk her out. The lighting harness was destroyed (she was going to produce Blue fog from her hands..) so it was up to me to stand in as Elsa! And let me tell you, I make an ugly Elsa!

Then I forgot to turn on the fogger triggers.....

Then I forgot to turn on the blower......

But it was awesome anyway!

You know, I gave my camera person a tripod..........just saying....

If you only watch one video this year! Watch something else. But if you want a laugh, check out the comedy of errors!

And of course a DRAGON!!!