Light-O-Rama Forums

Attaching individual LEDs at the end of several cables

cancolby

Hello.

I am trying to create the effect of a starry sky using several individual LEDs at the end of individual cables spread over the facade of a building.

I'd like to be able to control them individually from my E682. Can I solder some sort of T-splitter, where one line exits the E682 and several other lines split off that one line?

Thanks,

Colby

The setup you describe would not allow you control of the pixels individually. The way that smart RGB works is that you define the starting Universe address (Universe and channel within the universe) of the first pixel connected to that port on the controller. The controller and pixels assume that the first pixel on that string will get the first 3 channels starting with your starting address. That pixel strips off and uses the first three channels in the message and passes it down to the next pixel, which strips off the next three channels, uses them, and passes it down the line. This means that all of the pixels connected to a controller port will be addressed sequentially, each pixel using the next three channels in the message.

The setup you describe would put multiple pixels all receiving the message as the first pixel inline from the port. They would all use the same three channels, strip them off, and pass the message down to the next pixel in the circuit. This assumes that the signal would be strong enough to be split and reach all of the pixels (which I doubt).

To do what you are wanting to do, you will need to wire the pixels sequentially (no splits). Pixels can be separated by 10-15 feet maximum due the strength of the data signal. You can go farther between the controller and the first pixel if you insert a device every 10-15 feet along the line to boost the signal...this is usually done with a Null Pixel (search on the forum or your pixel controller manual to learn about null pixels), but after the first pixel in line, you are limited to the spacing distance.

You can have different strings (circuits) leaving the controller card, but your limit is the number of ports on the card. I am familiar with Sandevices...the E682 has 16 ports, the E6804 has 4. Since you have an E682, you can have 16 different strands of pixels, with multiple pixels wired serially on each strand. The limit of the number of pixels on each strand is variable depending upon power supply and injection, voltage of the pixels, and maximum addressing capabilities of the controller card.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

-Paul

Edited by Paul R