Light-O-Rama Forums

Carson Williams offered other lighting opportunities

Guest guest

Just heard this morning on WNIR radio news in Akron Ohio that Carson Williams has been offered several commercial lighting jobs. Did not give a lot of details, but they mentioned the businesses/parks that made the offers.

You both have a point.

I on the other hand work for the military (21 years now). So for me, I think lighting/sequencing opportunity would be great and fun.

Good Luck Carson and no matter what you do, just have fun doing it!

Tom

Not sure if it is not fun anymore but it does burn you out some and just have to keep going.. I worked on a commercial project all year last year from design in January to taping down thousands of c7's to huge wireframes from August up until showtime in November. I remember Josh Barnett got burned out some (www.lightasmic.com) but he kept going. Not sure what happened to him or if he even checks the board anymore.

You do get burnt! I used to love doing lights, and now I do so many that doing mine is such drag. I have to push myself to put up my tree. Doing commercial decorations does lose alot of the fun os doing your own.

If someone offered you a job and you wanted to do it because it would give you more opportunity to do things you did not have to money to do, then you should consider it. I would have the attitude that if you want to hire me, here are my conditions.

" I do the show the way i want to do it. Otherwise I would not be happy doing it".

If you were doing something in conjunction with a city Christmas Lights festival…most cities pay (or sponsors) a lot of money for a one night. So a computerize light show would be more valuable for a sponsor, because is it a show every night and runs for 6 weeks.

If you ever get that chance, don't work cheap.

darrylb wrote:

If someone offered you a job and you wanted to do it because it would give you more opportunity to do things you did not have to money to do, then you should consider it. I would have the attitude that if you want to hire me, here are my conditions.

" I do the show the way i want to do it. Otherwise I would not be happy doing it".

If you were doing something in conjunction with a city Christmas Lights festival…most cities pay (or sponsors) a lot of money for a one night. So a computerize light show would be more valuable for a sponsor, because is it a show every night and runs for 6 weeks.

If you ever get that chance, don't work cheap.

I agree with Darryl,

(in my own words) take the chance when it comes. "IF YOU HAVE THE TALENT, PEOPLE WILL COME!!!" and sponsors will see too. Just like they have with Carson.

A lot of you (me some day) has (or will have) the talent. The question is, would you go for it?

I WOULD!!! Money talks, B.S walks...

You have one life to live, live it full and strong and don't back down....Never!!!

Tom

If I did a 'commercial' show I probably would not do a display at all at home. I just don't have the energy for that much work, and we have a lot of stuff going in Nov/Dec that doesn't concern lights.

I like Darryl's philosophy: Do it my way or don't hire me. Unfortunately, outside of a church, I don't think anyone would go for our "celebrate the real meaning of Christmas" philosophy. It's just not politically correct enough for a business or city...

-Tim

OK this kinda goes with carson's thing and kinda doesnt... Years ago when i was a kid in Iowa, there was a cemetary that decorated all the evergreen trees with c-7's and c-9s, they had music playing up near the chapel and had bible verses and pictures all over the place and you could drive through it.. OK well now it is gone, they dont do the display any more, but my aunt who lives back home still goes to a church that bought a building where all the scenes are located at, and i was thinking, wouldnt it be cool to have drive throught display all about jesus and use LOR along with it, and we could all road trip there and help put it together? What does everyone think? :tree::happytree::waycool: :]

I was contacted to see if I am interested in taking over and directing a very large commercial display a few miles south of me. They want to take their display "to the next level" and want me to do it. It's a large drive-through display that charges admission. I told them that I would meet with them but didn't promise I would take the job. I'm still waiting for the meeting and am not sure what I will agree to. The biggest consideration is my own display. If it makes things too difficult to provide my free display, which has definite benefit to the community and people's spirits, I won't do it........................ Unless they offer me more money than I can turn down:]

I did a display at my house this year and a director of a convention saw it. I was asked to provide a display at Fair Park in Dallas, Texas for 3,000 attendees of the gala. The gala happened January 11th.

Here is a pic.

Charles Belcher

Attached files 24147=1336-pic4.jpg

Marty Slack wrote:

I was contacted to see if I am interested in taking over and directing a very large commercial display a few miles south of me. They want to take their display "to the next level" and want me to do it. It's a large drive-through display that charges admission. I told them that I would meet with them but didn't promise I would take the job. I'm still waiting for the meeting and am not sure what I will agree to. The biggest consideration is my own display. If it makes things too difficult to provide my free display, which has definite benefit to the community and people's spirits, I won't do it........................ Unless they offer me more money than I can turn down:]

Hey Marty, coming from the business side of things. Here are a couple things to think about (if you haven't already)or maybe even ask (or demand) at the meeting.

Since I am currently under a contract with my entertainment ride, I want to share a couple thoughts.

Ask for a percentage of ticket sales (since they charge admission). I would start at something like 15% and leave it negotiable for the next year to see how things go (you might want to go higher).

Ask that anything that is to be purchased, they pay 1/2 and you keep the equipment/items bought needed for their show. This is job security for the future. Since YOU will know what they will need and YOU know how to set it up (or they wouldn't be asking you in the first place) you are the boss.

Or ask a higher percentage and you purchase all of it and keep ownership of evrything.

You demand your terms of a time table to get it set up and for them to provide the help needed.

They also provide some sort of insurance. This stuff adds up quick.

With all this in mind, you have your homework cut out for you either way.

If it gets in the way of your home display, you really need to think about what has been agreed at the meeting. That is why you want to set the bar somewhat high in the percentage you might be asking. It has to be worth YOUR time and the fact that you have your own display you feel great about and would love to keep. That's why you should also provide a time table that you know you can work with to spend your time with home and business stuff.

Another thing to discuss is if you will be on call before, during and after each show?

If it were me? And I love doing this stuff. "I WOULD DO IT" and do it to my terms I feel good about. YOU are the boss if they are knocking at your door.

I know you have probably thought about everything I mentioned, but I'm just speaking out loud.

Either way you go, I wish you good luck. Hope this helps.

Tom

Charles Belcher wrote:

Tom,

I am coming to Ok City this Friday for the George Strait show. Is your ride set up now at Bricktown?

Charles

Hey Charles,

Glad to hear your coming. The ride is set up but we're not open. It's still set up in the 3D Christmas theme awaiting video taping to be done. Then it will be converted for the spring/summer season.

If you have some time and want to come check it out, I'll be there. If so, let me know.

Where are you coming from? (please update your profile)

PM me and let me know if you are interested. Maybe we can talk LOR stuff if your into that.

Either way, I hope you enjoy your trip and the show.

Tom