Light-O-Rama Forums

Major Show Problem (FIXED)

Robin

I'm not sure what "running a show manually" means but I have this vision of Robin running around the yard frantically trying to plug and unplug extension cords to the beat of the music... ;)

I'm pretty sure I've been out in the cold yard too much today (I think it peaked out at a balmy 11 degrees...)

-Tim :dude:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robin

• Tim Fischer

• LightORamaDan

• Ed.Faranda

Nice try at humor Tim but ain't a gonna work.
For the past two night I have been setting in the shop in front of laptop with the sequence editor. I go to file choose sequence, then pick the sequence. Let it load then hit PLAY and when it finishes I then "X" out and repeat.

FOR FOUR HOURS.

I do not do any of the voice overs which is one coro project. Harriet and Homer Deer our emcees of ths show. These are about 13-15 seconds.

Tonight I made a big sign and put a flood light on it explaining a software problem. I picked four songs and made a new show. It will start and play however it wants. I am not going outside to watch as honestly can not stand looking at it when it is not right.
So that is pretty much it. Almost 300 days of construction and set up has been reduced to me not even wanting to continue. I can not explain just how sick I am about this.

Ouch -- that sucks almost as much as my 'humorous' vision...

I'm sure Dan & co will get you a fix soon... Hang in there... You have more perserverence than I do -- if it were up to me I'd say the show was off until the fix was in, or maybe just static lights or something. Kudos to you...

-Tim

Well thought I was going to run four songs but sound was going in and out and when I tried to disable the show it would not disable. It kept playing and playing and pl;aying.

So after throwing my stereo receiver across the shop and sweeping up the pieces I decided to turn it off. But the darn thing would not turn off. Actually had to turn off laptop and then the sound decided to come on as it was shutting down.

I'm sure the last thing you're looking for is advice from me, but I'd flip on a few lights static (use the HWU if you need to), change the sign to say no animation tonight, and either a) go interact with your visitors, hand them a candy cane, and help them enjoy the display even without the animation, or ;) get out of there, go to a movie/go out to a nice dinner/whatever to get your mind off of it. In a few days it will be all better...

I remember last year you were having so many issues too, but in the end you had a great display and it was all worth it (or so I got the impression). Hang in there, I'm sending as many good vibes your way as I can muster...

-Tim

Tim,
The only issue last year was the rain tripping GFCI's and my poor CAT5 making ability. I have corrected both of those problems.

Actually just put up a 4X4 sign to explain the situation. That is not the problem.
The problem was that three different media groups were scheduled to come and I had to call them. Then there is the Trolley this Sat. with the Kiwanis doing a major fund raising kick off with even more media.

To top it all off wife just returned and can find no mini candy canes!!!

Well there's hope for Saturday... still have 4 days until then at least.

My own "gripe" is that it's friggin cold outside. It was 50 on Saturday -- when I was conveniently out of town. Today it's mostly been in the singles. I'm trying to debug some LOR network issues (so far all have been related to incorrect plugs etc on my part) and most of that work has to be done bare-handed... I have our 60,000 BTU reddy heater pointed at me about 4 feet away, as I start things up on the laptop but with the garage door open it doesn't even help (and I have to have the door open to see what I'm doing...). I still can barely feel my fingers to type... I'm inside for a "warm up break" and I can still barely feel my fingers. I think this is the coldest I've ever had to do set-up... I've definitely been out 'debugging' once the show was up and running in this cold, but not sure about setting up. Yuck...

Just my own vent. Pales in comparison to what you're having, but misery loves company... :?

I'm crossing my fingers for you that you get your fix tomorrow -- and it works!

-Tim

Robin: I under stand your pain but I am sure I can not feel the total frustration.

I am just a drop in the bucket compared to your huge display

and I get very frustrated when something does not work properly in my 88

channels.

I have enjoyed reading your post in the past and it seems that you are a

pro at the animated displays.

If you, Dan and his associates are still working on your issues, it must be a real

problem. I thought long and hard about making the change to LOR II.

Decided I was not brave enough to make it so close to launch time.

LOR II looks like a great improvement, but I have always been leary of trying

something new. In my line of work I see a lot new and improved products

(mainly in the bus and truck industry). No matter how much pilot testing is done, we

constantly see problems that did not occurr in the testing modes.

Hang in there and be sure to post your video when you are back up and

running. I am sure it will happen soon.

Harbs

Tim Fischer wrote:

Well there's hope for Saturday... still have 4 days until then at least.

My own "gripe" is that it's friggin cold outside. It was 50 on Saturday -- when I was conveniently out of town. Today it's mostly been in the singles. I'm trying to debug some LOR network issues (so far all have been related to incorrect plugs etc on my part) and most of that work has to be done bare-handed... I have our 60,000 BTU reddy heater pointed at me about 4 feet away, as I start things up on the laptop but with the garage door open it doesn't even help (and I have to have the door open to see what I'm doing...). I still can barely feel my fingers to type... I'm inside for a "warm up break" and I can still barely feel my fingers. I think this is the coldest I've ever had to do set-up... I've definitely been out 'debugging' once the show was up and running in this cold, but not sure about setting up. Yuck...

Just my own vent. Pales in comparison to what you're having, but misery loves company... :?

I'm crossing my fingers for you that you get your fix tomorrow -- and it works!

-Tim

Tim - as you know I'm 30 miles west of you, last night I had to climb down from my 22-foot stepladder when the 40 mph wind gusts came, just out of nowhere at about 11pm. Tonight, as I was trying to figure out why my LED message board is no longer recognized by my computer, checking connections out in the cold, I literally thought to myself - most sincerely:

I'm cold, but man I hope Robin gets his show working.

I'm with you Tim - we're all rooting for you Robin!

medman2000 wrote:

Ain't that the truth... And that wind really did come out of nowhere. I was sitting at the computer, and then BAM... after a few minutes I ran out to make sure the mega-tree was secure. It was bobbing around more than I liked so I snugged it up...

I got a lot accomplished today, but I still feel way behind to go live this weekend...

-Tim

medman2000 wrote:

Tim - as you know I'm 30 miles west of you, last night I had to climb down from my 22-foot stepladder when the 40 mph wind gusts came, just out of nowhere at about 11pm. Tonight, as I was trying to figure out why my LED message board is no longer recognized by my computer, checking connections out in the cold, I literally thought to myself - most sincerely:

I'm with you Tim - we're all rooting for you Robin!

I'm a few more miles west of ya'll in South Dakota...I was laying in bed sometime after 10:00pm & seemingly out of nowhere the wind came up here too. Sounded like the house was going to blow over :shock:

Robin - I've been watching this thread. Just heartbreaking. I hope you're able to get a fix in place soon.

Dan

Good luck to Robin...
I hear you on the wind! I came home tonight to find out from my girl that my show ran perfectly (LOR 1) but that the wind had bent my 12' metal (mini)megatree in half! My budget for this year is gone, so I plan to rebuild it in 2d on a wall and build a PVC tree next year.
Stephen

Robin wrote:

Well if all the well wishes work it should be a piece of cake.
Dan said they are now testing the package!!

LOL thought that was what I was going to do!!!:D

Wohoo! :dude: Got some champaign ready for when it all starts working??? :D Or a big sledge hammer or stick of dynamite incase it doesn't work ;)

Tim, I didn't notice the wind quite so much last night but I think it's starting to blowing now.

Stephen -- very sorry about the loss of the mega-tree. The wind here last night definitely wasn't as bad as the previous night.

Robin -- very good news. I still haven't run a show from the show controller (tested via the sequence editor last night for the first time) so I'm hoping that either I'm not effected, or that the fix will help me too!

-Tim

• 2 weeks later...

What was the solution to this problem? I'm having the very same issue, except I'm still running LOR1. I have channels that stick on during mega tree spins. It happens both during the actual show and if I run the sequence from the sequence editor. It's not always the same channel, and it doesn't happen everytime. I've turned off everything on my PC, and it's still happening.

My problem was solved. All I have to say is is always check your data cables. I purchased a brand new cable, to go from my computer to box#1. I literally took it out of the package 15 minutes before the very first show was about to start. The program was running and I was happy. After watching the show closely we noticed random lights sticking on or quickly turning on then off when they were not programmed to. After a week of frustration, resetting boards, turning off everything on my compter, and checking all the old cords, I decided to check the 1 cord that I assumed was fine, and sure enough, the "NEW" cord I purchased was causing the problem all along. I feel dumb because in the thousands of posts found here on this site, many times the solution to one's problem is "CHECK YOUR DATA CABLES". Oh well atleast the problem is solved. And lesson learned, check your data cables, even if they are brand new.