Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB24D POWER

robin1373

I was wanting to know when purchasing the CMB24D Can you run it off of one 12v power supply or does it need one per side of outputs?

Thank you

Robin 

I have a CMB24 controller and I use 1 12v supply to power both sides of the board, I'm running the LOR 10w floods on one and Dumb RGB strings on another and it works fine.

It all depends on your load and how big your power supply is. The one that LOR sells: http://store.lightorama.com/1260waposu.html is designed to run 8 of their basic strips or 16 floods. It will power both sides of the board. If your power supply is 12v and 200w, you should be good to go.

Thank you for the info.. I was looking at one that is 12V 360W. Will this one work for powering both sides?

You can run a maximum of 4Amps at 12 volts on each of the 24 channels per LOR's information posted on the site, so a 360 watt supply will work just fine. With a 360 watt supply, assuming my math is correct, you get about 16 watts on each individual channel or 48 watts per 3 channel rgb group, if you wired up the same devices to each and all channels and turned them all on at the same time. Just be sure to look at the total current draw when all lights are on at the same time as that'll tell you what you need to drive the card with.

Edited by dgrant

My math was not correct. Sorry. 360 watts divided by 24 channels is 15 watts per channel or 45 watts/3.75Amps per 3-channel RGB. The maximum would be 4 Amps at 12 volts per channel or 48 watts per channel which is 144 watts per 3-channel RGB which is a 1152 watts total on the card with all channels running at 48 watts or 4amps each. It would probably getting pretty hot to run that limit.

There are so many different answers. First consideration is what is the board rated for? I am not familiar with  this board, so will use one of the A.C. boards to demonstrate.  Even though each channel is rated for up to 8A. And with 8 channels per side. You can only draw up to say 15A per side. So either you limit each channel to ABOUT 1.8A per channel or up to only two channels on at a given time. OR a combo between those two that would limit yourself to drawing no more than 15Amps at a given time.

Same holds true for your D.C. card. I mean if you only plan to run a few low current devices. You dont need a big arse power supply. On the other hand if you plan to run at max current/wattage. Then your going to want a big arse power supply.

So, first figure out what devices you want on each channel. Then look at the current rating of the said device(s) and confirm that it does not exceed the rated current of the channel. Do you plan to turn on more than one channel per bank at the same time? Is there a chance that 12 or less channels will exceed the maximum current draw for a bank of channels? Once you have an idea of how much current all of your devices need, or the maximum current you can draw through the two banks of channels. Then get a power supply that supplies that much current plus at least 10 to 20% more. A power supply that is not running at 100% rated load, seems to last longer.

Some thought has to go into the hardware of this hobby, to make it work right. This is not a plug and play hobby for sure. But it makes the old gray matter work some and its fun to learn something new and say "I put this together and make it work".

So this is what it shows for the CMB24D

Configuration Two banks of 12 channels 
Individual channel capacity 4 amps 
Individual bank capacity 30 amps 
Logic power supply voltage 12 volts DC (not needed if chans 1-12 input >= 12 V) 
Switched voltage 5 to 30VDC 
Power connections Screw terminal strips 
Control In/Out RS485 via RJ45 
Without heat sinks 7¼”w x 4”h

I purchased a 12v 360W power supply

I also purchased 4 of the lor 10W spotlights & would like to add a few dumb square nodes

How to i figure out if this will work

Thank you everyone for all your help