Light-O-Rama Forums
Gork68

Welcome a Newbie and offer wife help please!

thx paralegalnc. I have built 4 arches. I used 3/4 inch PVC pipe that I heated then bent into an arch. I then zip tied RGB strips to it. it's so funny because my wife and 3 boys are listening to and singing Christmas songs all the time now... my youngest is running around singing jingle bells at the moment. :lol: I just hope I can finish enough songs...

Just like Paralegic, I too listen to the music and see the lights in my head or at least what's possible. She's lucky that she's got someone to help her whereas I do mine all alone but the reward is seeing the smiles of the grandkids and neighborhood kids out there running around, dancing and of course, the smiles! Arches and megatrees look cool and they are crowd pleasers. This year, I'm adding a pixel tree which should really stand out a lot but its a whole lot more work in sequencing.

I have gone over my budget though or will as soon as the electrician comes out and adds a couple more circuits for me... but I figured what the heck its for a good cause right?

Why are you needing to add more circuits if you are running all LED? Your display likely will use less electricity than when it was static - when animated rarely will all the lights be on all at once. You can plug more than one controller into a single circuit (either use 3-way splitters or convert your controllers to a single power cord version). As long as you don't exceed the amperage capacity of the outlet/circuit (usually 15 or 20 amps) and controller you will be fine. It is difficult to exceed these limits with just LEDs. A Kill-a-Watt is a cheap tool to measure all this.

http://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU

Can use this free software utility if you want to be very accurate tracking this for each sequence.

http://t2lights.com/christmas/lorutility.html

Another great addition are custom voiceovers by The Demented Elf, a member here. He is awesome. Great help when advertising a food drive and help with crowd control.

http://www.thedementedelf.com

BTW, always expect to go over budget, especially if you have reached your budgeted amount this long before the season and your first year. Add about 50%.

Feel free to post screenshot video of your visualizer playing one of your sequences for additional constructive feedback.

I need more circuits because I only have one... Yes LED's use a lot less but 20,000 add up. Unfortunately for me the builder of the house I am in decided to cut costs. I have a single circuit for all outdoor outlets. Front and back of the house are on the garage circuit. so I can run cords into the house or add circuits. I am adding ;)