Light-O-Rama Forums

newby question lor + e1.31 networks together..

amtrak115

I currently run an LOR network (currently 96 channels, expanding to 128 channels this year), and a DMX network via an ENTEC Open Dongle  running about 250 channels or so.  I'm expanding the dmx channel count this year and will be approaching the 512 limit for universe 1. 

I was thinking about expanding to e1.31 using one of those 6 port bridges. which would give me up to 6 universes

So can I run my LOR network and e1.31 to bridge to multilple dmx universes? (instead of using the dongle)

The pro's will correct me if I am wrong but I believe the answer is no. LOR, DMX via dongle and e1.31 are all different protocols and transmit data differently and use pin assignment on the cables differently. You can split them into separate networks and run each on their own at the same time but can't combine components. I run LOR from their USB dongle and e1.31 but you can't combine any of them together.

Edited by sticks4legs

E1.31 requires a E1.31 controller or a E1.31 Protocol converter to run standard DMX.   You can use your Enttec as you have been through the USB connection for standard DMX 512 (one universe) if you add a 4 or 6 port E1.31 to DMX protocol converter (DIY LED EXPRESS  (6 universes) or J1Sys (4 universes)) you will not need to use the Enttec  (the protocol converter negates the need for a dongle).

You can easily use LOR network for LOR STUFF, E1.31 for E1.31 controllers and a protocol converter for standard DMX at the same time , daisy chain or split off, (even add back the Enttec through the USB all at the same time).

Jerrymac...just so I completely understand what your saying and I believe or hope I do....

If I used the e1.31 bridge from like led express I would connect my PC via ethernet straight to the bridge (no need for dongle/adapter) or switch if splitting to other e1.31 devices. Between the PC and bridge is e1.31 protocol. Out from the bridge is 6 standard DMX universes which can be connect to LOR devices (CCD, CTB16PC, ect) and standard DMX devices?

Now I can still run LOR devices in LOR protocol as well as a standard DMX universe as well as e1.31 all at the same time? The LOR network would use the USB adapters, DMX via USB dongle and e1.31 using the LAN.

Jerrymac...just so I completely understand what your saying and I believe or hope I do....

If I used the e1.31 bridge from like led express I would connect my PC via ethernet straight to the bridge (no need for dongle/adapter) or switch if splitting to other e1.31 devices. Between the PC and bridge is e1.31 protocol. Out from the bridge is 6 standard DMX universes which can be connect to LOR devices (CCD, CTB16PC, ect) and standard DMX devices?

Yes, this is correct. If you have multiple E1.31 controllers, you'll need a switch. So it would be something like this

PC-->Switch-->Multiple E1.31 controllers.

The bridge comes in if you want to run a standard (non-E1.31) DMX controllers from the E1.31 protocol. It would look like this:

PC-->Switch-->Multiple E1.31 controllers

Switch-->E1.31 to DMX Bridge-->Standard controllers, including Smart and Basic Pixel controllers. 

Last year I had this configuration with a 27 channel basic controller and several different single universe pixel controllers. If you connect to LOR devices from the bridge, they will need to be in DMX Mode. I ran my LOR devices from the RS485HS.

Now I can still run LOR devices in LOR protocol as well as a standard DMX universe as well as e1.31 all at the same time? The LOR network would use the USB adapters, DMX via USB dongle and e1.31 using the LAN.

This is correct. Although, if you use the bridge, you will not need the dongle. You can run up to 6 universes in Multicast and 12 universes in Unicast from the E1.31 to DMX Bridge.

I hope this clears it up. Probably as clear as mud, huh?

Edited by Ron Boyd

No...it's clear.

I brought up the multi networks because my plan is use e1.31 for the pixels on the house but my lawn is reg LOR and DMX controllers. I already have the adapters/dongles so thinking why spend $$ for the bridge? I just wanted to confirm you can use multi networks and how the bridge works too. I most likely won't use it.

so as best as I can figure out from the comments and other readings...the following would be ok....

PC - USB Port - LOR Dongle - LOR controllers

|

|

---- Ethernet Port - DIYLEDEXPRESS Bridge ------DMX Universe1 - DMX controller - Pixels

|

-  DMX Universe2 - DMX controller - pixels

|

|

- DMX Universe6 - DMX controller - pixels

amtrak115, you are correct. In essence, the bridge will act like 6 DMX Dongles but still use the E1.31 protocol. If you're running it in Unicast, then it would replace 12 dongles

Kevin:   Ron answered the other questions so no need to go again.  Ron is spot on.  

What is nice if you have items or groups of items near each other that use less than 510 channels, using the protocol bridge you and can use the less expensive 1 universe controllers (tiny controller etc) that run on DMX 512 and de-centralize some of your lighting controllers.  Just run cable from the bridge to  the controllers (of course one cable from your switch to the bridge which can be located about anywhere).  

Use E1.31 controllers where you need multiple universes for a single or closely located items. 

All live nicely together.

Edited by jerrymac

so as best as I can figure out from the comments and other readings...the following would be ok....

PC - USB Port - LOR Dongle - LOR controllers

|

|

---- Ethernet Port - DIYLEDEXPRESS Bridge ------DMX Universe1 - DMX controller - Pixels

|

-  DMX Universe2 - DMX controller - pixels

|

|

- DMX Universe6 - DMX controller - pixels

This is correct. However, in Christmas light displays, most people use a controller to go directly from e1.31 to pixels. Pixel Controllers from sandevices or j1sys fall in this category. Those do not go through the bridge.

By reading this post, he is using DMX controllers and 1 universe per output on the bridge. That said, I assume he is using either a basic RGB controller or a single universe pixel controller such as the Holiday Coro Tiny Pix. If this is the case, these are not E1.31 controllers. Now, if it is a J1SYS ECG-D2, then it is an E1.31 controller.

Please refer to Post # 5

By reading this post, he is using DMX controllers and 1 universe per output on the bridge. That said, I assume he is using either a basic RGB controller or a single universe pixel controller such as the Holiday Coro Tiny Pix. If this is the case, these are not E1.31 controllers. Now, if it is a J1SYS ECG-D2, then it is an E1.31 controller.

Please refer to Post # 5

Yep, you are right. I didn't read clearly. Absolutely, the bridge will work with DMX controllers that can run pixels. Just wanted to make sure it was clear that the bridge is not needed for pixel controllers that read e1.31. Sorry if I muddied any waters! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just confirming the point everyone has already made ...

10 LOR controllers (Lor network)

1 J1-Sys D2 Bridge (E1.31 used to run dumb nodes and a 16 channel DMX driven AC controller)

3 J1-Sys P2 Controllers (E1.31 used to run pixels)

--- >USB Port --> LOR Dongle ---> LOR Controllers 1..10 

|

PC -> |

|                                                                |--> J1-D2 (Univ 1)

----> Ethernet Port -->  4 port Switch --> |--> J1-P2(1) (Univ 3)

|--> J1-P2(2) (Univ 4 and 5)

|--> J1-P2(3) (Univ 6,7,8,9)

That is our config for 2014 (last year it worked without a glitch. )

This year we will probably only need 5 or 6 of the LOR controllers but the DMX universe count is at 9 .. BUT!! those are not full universes. For example the 3rd J1Sys-P2 is running the 12 strand pixel tree at 1800 channels. breaking the tree into 4 universes of 3  - 50 pixel strands ..

• 3 months later...

hello all, I have a problem.. I have 2 pixlight 16 e1.31,and cannot get them working together. alone they both work and I can run them fine. my problem is trying to dasy chain them together .any help would be great.

hello all, I have a problem.. I have 2 pixlight 16 e1.31,and cannot get them working together. alone they both work and I can run them fine. my problem is trying to dasy chain them together .any help would be great.

It would be better to start a new thread instead of adding to an old one.

I do not think that you can daisy chain them together.  You need a switch.

Back to the original thread.  I'm going to make a suggestion for those running E1.31 and LOR.  Use a different color Cat-5 cable for the different types of networks.  This makes it at least harder to plug a cable into the wrong device (potentially damaging something).

For example, at my house, the following colors of cables are used (as it relates to this discussion):

Blue = "Normal" home network

Green = E1.31 network

Purple = LOR RS-485

There are several other cable colors used for other stuff, but it does not relate to this discussion.

• Like 1