Light-O-Rama Forums

Problems with E682 and PC config

Paul R

Yeah, I agree, sounds like hardware to me as well. I have noticed when I run a more intense pattern, the 682 at times won't load the web page, but, it's intermittent and usually will come up on a second try. But, for the "cool down" having to occur before things work as expected again sounds like a problem.

You may want to contact jim@sandevices.com to get some direct help. Good thing is, he gives great support!

Edited by jlowe

It was an assembled Pixel System 1, bought through another vendor complete with 16 strings of WS2811 pixels. I am running it at 12V and have a 300W 12v supply that came with the package from the vendor. As to what port, on the PC side DMX was configured automatically in SE for all universes to use port 5568, while the DMX Listener port is set to 8837. On the E682 side, I do not see anywhere I can check this, at least it isn't displayed on the E682 webpage.

I will be doing some further testing today now that I have an idea what I am looking for.

Thanks again for the help,

Paul

Edited by Paul R

Further testing this morning is confirming it is a heat problem with the E682. As Max-Paul states, most likely with the ethernet connection assembly.

Note that for this test, I never started up LOR S3. Test was executed purely with my IE browser.

Started up both PC and E682. PC is direct connected to the E682 with a Cat 5e cable. Connected to E682 with the browser to the E682 webpage. Set testmode 13. All pixels start flashing. Waited around 2 minutes, then tried to set testmode 0, browser lost connection to E682 and pixels kept flashing. Whenever I type E682 IP into browser it comes up "Internet explorer cannot display webpage". Pixels still flashing. Leaving computer on and IE up, I unplug the E682. wait 5 minutes, then plug back in. Type E682 IP into browser, webpage comes up and I set testmode to 0. Pixels stop flashing. Set testmode to 1, pixels come on solid. wait a minute or two and try to set testmode 0. Connection lost, pixels stay on. Leaving E682 on, I shutdown computer and wait 5 minutes. turn back on computer and open browser. Type in E682 IP, no connection. Leaving computer up, I unplug E682. Wait five minutes. Plug in E682 and type E682 IP in browser. I have connection again and set testmode 0 to shutdown pixels.

I will be contacting Jim. Since I bought this setup through a 3rd party vendor, not sure if Jim can replace the card or if I need to go through the 3rd party. I'm sure Jim will know.

BTW, I didn't state it before, but I'm pretty sure the vendor was reselling a Pixel 1 system and didn't assemble it themselves as the E682 came in a small enclosure, barely larger than the card itself, and the enclosure has a "Powered by Sandevices" sticker on the cover.

-Paul

It sounds like you've properly and carefully identified the problem and considering its a complex communications system to troubleshoot! I'm guessing they'll be helping you real fast on this issue and yes, things are not always perfect even though we hope so.

I suggest you purchase a "backup" E682. They aren't that expensive ($109 + shipping for the kit), and most of the connections are quick-disconnect plugs. Having a backup would let you get your display running again in 5 minutes in the event of a failure during a show.

• Like 2

I am working with Jim now and have sent the board to him. We both suspect the ethernet controller. If that proves to be the case, he will replace that part.

-Paul

...and yes, I am planning to purchase another E682 before Christmas. ;)

Edited by Paul R
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just received back my board from Jim and it works perfectly! The problem was a bad ethernet module, which Jim replaced. I also received a second E682 which I purchased as a spare.

Thanks To Jim once again for outstanding customer service.

-Paul

That's the big thing with diy pixel controllers ive noticed, they are pretty hard to troubleshoot. as you see there are many smart folks here that can help though.

Spare e682 is great idea. I would be too tempted to start plugging lights into it. I would have new elements on it in no time.

But spares are needed. Seems like a wasted card though....