Light-O-Rama Forums

What weatherproof box for CMB24D ?

pigcorn

Finally just took the plunge and ordered a 16 controller kit and a CMB24D with some dumb RGB floods and strips. Question is how are folks weatherproofing their CMB24D? I see the 12v supply is weatherproof already.

Thank you

I used a CG-1500, but I used a power supply that needed to be enclosed. I've seen others on the boards use the same one, fit is good if you want to put the PS in the enclosure. If you are going to use the PS LOR sells it wouldn't fit in with the board, but really doesn't need to.

I use these.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-8-in-x-4-in-Junction-Box-E989N-CAR/100404099

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-12-in-x-12-in-x-6-in-Junction-Box-E989R-UPC/100404149

They come with no holes, so they are truly waterproof. (when you start)

They have large flat sides perfect for connectors/ plates. (I use Cat5)

Note. The CMB24D just bareley fits in the 8 inch version. The 12 inch would easily hold several boards/ P/S's

Menards sells them too.

tj

I used a CG-1500, but I used a power supply that needed to be enclosed. I've seen others on the boards use the same one, fit is good if you want to put the PS in the enclosure. If you are going to use the PS LOR sells it wouldn't fit in with the board, but really doesn't need to.

Same here.

The only concern with mounting a power supply inside of the box, which there's really no choice about...obviously weather, rain, snow, ice and safety. But, there's one other consideration that needs to be looked at. In warmer climates such as S. Calif. or Florida, a power supply can overheat when enclosed. Heat is it's worst enemy along with the controller in there too. If someone lives in a warm climate, you need to ventilate the cabinet for heat relief using a fan or whatever inside. Some power supplies have a fan in them which means, it needs a flow of available air. Circulating hot air with no vent, means circulating hotter and hotter air. The heat-exchange on a plastic cabinet is next to nothing which means you have a mini-oven with the heater on all the time. In cold climates, this probably isn't an issue or not as much but a PS fan still needs air.

Edited by dgrant

• 4 weeks later...

The only concern with mounting a power supply inside of the box, which there's really no choice about...obviously weather, rain, snow, ice and safety. But, there's one other consideration that needs to be looked at. In warmer climates such as S. Calif. or Florida, a power supply can overheat when enclosed. Heat is it's worst enemy along with the controller in there too. If someone lives in a warm climate, you need to ventilate the cabinet for heat relief using a fan or whatever inside. Some power supplies have a fan in them which means, it needs a flow of available air. Circulating hot air with no vent, means circulating hotter and hotter air. The heat-exchange on a plastic cabinet is next to nothing which means you have a mini-oven with the heater on all the time. In cold climates, this probably isn't an issue or not as much but a PS fan still needs air.

You are correct.

I put a CPU fan on the bottom of the enclosure pushing air into the box and out a vent on 1 side, close to the top, with a

protective cover. (a spray paint cap glued over the hole with a large slot cut in the lower side).

I have used these in July, in 90deg+ weather. I don't run the fans at Christmas. The convection effect cools enough.

tj

I Just bought a CMB24D and bought a  CableGuard CG-1500.  Holiday Coro now offers a mounting kit where you can mount the board and a 350W power supply inside the CableGuard CG-1500.

http://www.holidaycoro.com/Light-O-Rama-LOR-CMB24D-Mounting-Kit-p/641-kit1.htm

• The topic was locked