Light-O-Rama Forums

Tombstones

caniac

bought some fairly nice tombstones from Garden Ridge that are made of Styrofoam, they are flimsy but my thought was to glue them to 2" thick construction Styrofoam/foam insulation.  what would you use to glue them to that.

bought some fairly nice tombstones from Garden Ridge that are made of Styrofoam, they are flimsy but my thought was to glue them to 2" thick construction Styrofoam/foam insulation.  what would you use to glue them to that.

Elmers Glue would seem to be the best bet here.

Most other glues, like superglue or modellers glue will eat into, and destroy the styrofoam.    Can't recall if 2 part epoxy will also do this or not.  But seem to think I tried it once and it did, but can't say 100% on that.

Hey Caniac, has your Garden Ridge changed their name?    

We have one in Orlando just about 2-3 miles from my home, I was there a couple days ago and I noticed they've changed their name to "At Home".    

Just wondering if all Garden Ridges are going this way, or just the one in my area?

Resist the urge to use Bacon Fat!    

Ron Chazin is right on target.  You have to be very careful because many adhesives will eat right though your foam and probably cause an unhealthy situation in the process.  That glue is specifically rated for the construction foam material, and works great.  It appears to be pretty rainproof in our experience.  

Elmers{wood}glue will hold up in the rain, used it on tombstones to mount to small wooden backing with stakes to keep them upright, even used hot glue, but it gets ugly and tends to remelt in my region {Florida}, although with a good amount it worked fairly well.  But I loaned those out for an event and never got them back and noone seems to know where they went either. :(

But knowing about this other stuff, I'll probably go that route when I buy new tombstones to set up a graveyard.  No graveyard this year, well a couple of tombstones a graveyard does not make. LOL    So until I can buy more, just haven't found any I like as yet, so thinking for 2015 will create my own from coro and maybe some old style wooden types.   Just no time for creating a cemetery scene for 2014.

• 1 month later...

This might not be the answer you are looking for but i just drilled some small holes on the side and zip tie the tombstone to pvc pipe on the back side. Then drive rehbar in the ground and the tombstone stands with the rehbar in the pvc piping.

Hey Caniac, has your Garden Ridge changed their name?    

We have one in Orlando just about 2-3 miles from my home, I was there a couple days ago and I noticed they've changed their name to "At Home".    

Just wondering if all Garden Ridges are going this way, or just the one in my area?

don't know, we don't have one here in Kearney so we drove to Omaha.

Elmers{wood}glue will hold up in the rain, used it on tombstones to mount to small wooden backing with stakes to keep them upright, even used hot glue, but it gets ugly and tends to remelt in my region {Florida}, although with a good amount it worked fairly well.  But I loaned those out for an event and never got them back and noone seems to know where they went either. :(

But knowing about this other stuff, I'll probably go that route when I buy new tombstones to set up a graveyard.  No graveyard this year, well a couple of tombstones a graveyard does not make. LOL    So until I can buy more, just haven't found any I like as yet, so thinking for 2015 will create my own from coro and maybe some old style wooden types.   Just no time for creating a cemetery scene for 2014.

we have 20-30mph winds so that wouldn't work.

This might not be the answer you are looking for but i just drilled some small holes on the side and zip tie the tombstone to pvc pipe on the back side. Then drive rehbar in the ground and the tombstone stands with the rehbar in the pvc piping.

wind issues here.

Caniac I live in the Columbia Gorge area between Oregon and Washington on a any given night the wind will kick up between 45-80mph. The rehbar and pvc tubing keeps my tombstones in place. This is why i have two pvc pipes on the back of each tombstone about 12-18 inches long and the rehbar is about 24 inches long. I also use this techneque for my Christmas coroboard santa and reighndeer.

Edited by wrohdejr

Caniac I live in the Columbia Gorge area between Oregon and Washington on a any given night the wind will kick up between 45-80mph. The rehbar and pvc tubing keeps my tombstones in place. This is why i have two pvc pipes on the back of each tombstone about 12-18 inches long and the rehbar is about 24 inches long. I also use this techneque for my Christmas coroboard santa and reighndeer.

how do you attach to the tombstones?

• 4 weeks later...

Little late I know but....I create a U with PCV pipe and use liquid nails to glue it to the back.  Push rebar into the grass you have a solid tombstone.  

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up using either 1.5 or 2 inch contruction styrofoam (the purple stuff) and attached the tombstones to it using Liquid Nails.  So far so good, they are in the ground with rebar.