Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Issues

derekb

I am running an LOR CMB24 controller in DMX mode with no special DMX Converter.

I'm using the SAN Devices E682 controller for my megatree (1200 pixels).  The E682 has 16 ports and I've got one bank set to DMX mode.  Instead of lights connected to bank 4, it's just a CAT 5 cable to the LOR controller in DMX mode.

Cost?  NOTHING!     Ok, the 682 was 99 plus shipping and I had to solder it up myself.   Much cheaper than a converter, and it runs my lights too.

• 2 weeks later...

So let me see if I can get this right.......

I use the Elor to go from my regular LOR controller to the elor. Then I use the ethernet jack from that to go to the pixel controller.  Then the pixel controller to my lights?

So now the question is how do I set that up in the hardware unity?  Does the elor control the pixel controller or can I control the pixel controller? 

How do I create a sequence and/or test the lights? Do I need to do this in superstar?

Also the showtime director has a plug for a second network. Will that plug out put an E1.31 signal, thus eliminating the need for the elor?

Again any help or advice in this is appreciated, I'm a newbie.

Eric

I use the Elor to go from my regular LOR controller to the elor.

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking, but the ELOR has 3 RJ-45 style jacks. 2 of them are regular LOR network jacks allowing you to connect the ELOR to your LOR network. Yes, it will most likely connect to a LOR controller, but it may also connect to a USB-RS485B.

Then I use the ethernet jack from that to go to the pixel controller.  Then the pixel controller to my lights?

Correct.

So now the question is how do I set that up in the hardware unity?

You set the ELOR controller number using the hardware utility, as you would a CTB-16PC or an iDMX. The difference is that the ELOR emulates 4 (four) iDMX controllers, so it takes up 4 controller numbers. You set the first, so if you use the hardware utility to set the ELOR to controller 5, it will respond as controllers 5, 6, 7, and 8.

Does the elor control the pixel controller or can I control the pixel controller?

It depends what you mean by "control". An E1.31 pixel controller is most often configured via the network using HTTP with a browser. The ELOR will not do that, so you have to configure your pixel controller first, before you put it into your show network. You'll use the network port on your computer, following the instructions for that pixel controller.

After the pixel controller is configured, the ELOR will send it lighting commands, using E1.31 Multicast. By default, it will controller universes 1, 2, 3, and 4, but you can change the starting universe using the DIP switches on the ELOR. You probably won't need to do this, but if you have a 2nd ELOR on the same E1.31 network, you could use these switches to control more universes.

How do I create a sequence and/or test the lights? Do I need to do this in superstar?

You don't need to use Superstar. As far as the LOR network is concerned, you have 4 iDMX controllers on the network, and you control them using regular LOR commands, either from the show player, the hardware utility, or a showtime director.

You simple set the channels using the device number of the ELOR, that you set with the hardware utility, and the channel number of the DMX device.

Also the showtime director has a plug for a second network. Will that plug out put an E1.31 signal, thus eliminating the need for the elor?

No, E1.31 requires an Ethernet controller/port, but the showtime director has LOR (RS485) outputs.

This has been very helpful! I have tried to do some reading and watch the videos to get an idea how to do this.

I'm using a Showtime director because I have an old computer that will freeze from time to time. I didn't want that to happen in the middle of a sequence and I also didn't want to try and figure out how to run the Cat 5 cable out of the house to the controllers. So I thought this would be the best way.

When I saw the Holiday Coro candy canes I became interested in seeing if I would be able to do that. Since this is the first year I will wait, but I may want to add some CCR's in the future or something like the candy canes. (the budget and the wife doesn't allow me to do this yet)

I think I understand a bit better now. Sounds like I take whatever E1.31 pixel controller I have (like the tiny pix) and plug that into my LAN port, then configure that controller for my lights,

Then plug the Elor into one of my LOR controllers and run the hardware unity, making sure I set the unit ID. The Elor will use 4 DMX universes. Take the Ethernet plug, which will now be a e1.31 signal and attach that to the pixel controller.

Sounds like this is a better and less expensive option the the iDMX.

So to sequence............I go into my sequence editor and add that Elor controller, and then the channels? Do I add RGB channels or set them as DMX? My desire is to have the candy canes chase as different colors- nothing too fancy.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge and your patience!

Ya, I just saw that after watching the video a second time. I think the Elor has a regular DMX output as well as the E1.31?  If I can afford it I think I might go with the higher pixel controller like the Pix lite 4 that connects to the E1.31.  I may not use all the pixel features but it would be nice to have in the future.

That Tiny Pix looks like a nice little controller though.  (and inexpensive)

But Im going to be running my shows from the Showtime Director/controller not through my PC. I didn't want to use my computer and run those wires outside.

The Showtime controller has two network outputs. I guess they are both LOR though. I was hoping I could  use the Aux network, and then run my pixel controller from there.  Sounds like I'll need the Elor bridge though if I want to do this without the PC.