Light-O-Rama Forums

Time for a second network?

eurbani

I am in the same boat. I have read and tried to use macros and could never make them work.

And I am a computer geek!

I will start a new thread on this topic.  Maybe we can get a little team viewer meeting going.   My sequences use macros heavily, especially the resolution. 

Now you may ask why I'm running a separate network for that one controller? That one controller is in a completely different direction, so although I could run my network cable over there and back to start the rest of the network, it's just easier to use a separate network.

The USB485B has 2 RJ-45 sockets on it. Why didn't you use one socket for one direction and the other for the other direction?

The USB485B has 2 RJ-45 sockets on it. Why didn't you use one socket for one direction and the other for the other direction?

Yea, I could have done that if I were using USB485Bs - but I'm not.  As I'm not powering anything from the USB, I never had a reason to even look at the USB485B.  Did not even think about it having multiple outputs.  Besides, I already had a USB485 as a spare so that became network Aux A.  I did recently buy 2 USB-RS485-HS as I wanted the high speed for my CCPs, and figured I would buy 2 so I have a spare HS adapter.  I realize that a spare RS485 adapter is one of the most important spare parts since it would take out the entire show for most people if it crapped out...

Yea, I could have done that if I were using USB485Bs - but I'm not

Here's a little-known fact: You can make your USB485 into a 2-jack  device with one of these:

RJ45-Cat-5-6-Ethernet-Splitter-Connector

You use a very short(!) cable between the USB485 and this splitter.

This does not make the network into a 'Y' network (as long as the cable is short). It's still a straight-line daisy-chain.

I plan to build a 16 CCR tree, do you recommend one or two networks for this? Only one LOR1602W, and three CMB24D so a total of 20 controllers in my setup plans.

Edited by eravndal

I plan to build a 16 CCR tree, do you recommend one or two networks for this? Only one LOR1602W, and three CMB24D so a total of 20 controllers in my setup plans.

For your pixel tree you need several.  When side by side in a matrix, any skips or lags will be very obvious.   Not so much on an arch.    At least two if not four.   Number your CCR so they do not overlap as if there were only one network.  This allows you to move the CCRs between networks with ease. 

If they are all newer, G3 devices, then they all support the 500k speeds. Thus, in my opinion, you could get away with one network using a USB485-HS adapter. Having a second 500k network wouldn't be a bad idea.

If you don't have a USB485-HS, then I would run at least 3, probably 4 networks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a little-known fact: You can make your USB485 into a 2-jack  device with one of these:

RJ45-Cat-5-6-Ethernet-Splitter-Connector

You use a very short(!) cable between the USB485 and this splitter.

This does not make the network into a 'Y' network (as long as the cable is short). It's still a straight-line daisy-chain.

What is "short(!)" ?

Jim, et all

I hear that Radio Shack might go by the way side. Bet we wont see them for long if at all in 2015. Its a shame, as a hobbyist they no longer have the stuff I am looking for. And they just dont cut the mustard as a consumer store. I just wish that they would go back to their roots. But there are not enough hobbyist to support them. Shame, now where am I going to go to get a D.C. coaxial plug or a few resistors?

Jim, et all

I hear that Radio Shack might go by the way side. Bet we wont see them for long if at all in 2015. Its a shame, as a hobbyist they no longer have the stuff I am looking for. And they just dont cut the mustard as a consumer store. I just wish that they would go back to their roots. But there are not enough hobbyist to support them. Shame, now where am I going to go to get a D.C. coaxial plug or a few resistors?

I just read a lot of stuff about RS.. I think you are right.. it might be heading down the drain completely..     I was a manager at one of the stores back in the 70s... Did real well back then.. now, not so much..

• 2 months later...

If they are all newer, G3 devices, then they all support the 500k speeds. Thus, in my opinion, you could get away with one network using a USB485-HS adapter. Having a second 500k network wouldn't be a bad idea.

If you don't have a USB485-HS, then I would run at least 3, probably 4 networks.

Okay, I'm slow... So do you need one 485 for each network?

Okay, I'm slow... So do you need one 485 for each network?