Light-O-Rama Forums

#5 on controller not working

godman

I was doing some testing and the #5 output on the LOR controller is not working, tried in hardware utility and still nothing? Lights are fine on their own,

Suggestions?

Do you have a Basic-Plus license? If so, it will only control up to 4 controllers.

You would need to upgrade to Standard or Advanced.

I think I may have communicated that incorrectly, I am only testing 1 controller and I get no lights that turn on out of the #5 plug

I think I read it Q wrong. Sorry.

Are you testing it via the Hardware Utility (HWU)? If it's not working via the HWU, you may need to contact LOR Support. There may be a problem with the triac or something else in the controller.

As Don said, usually a bad triac. If its new, LOR Customer Service can assist you and even if its not new, they will tell you what to do.

And just for the sake of the discussion. Just cause the lights work does not mean that the triac is bad. Did you grab the #5 dongle (the short cord with an outlet attached). And then follow the cable up and into the control box. Then follow it till it broke out the 3 wires. And follow each of those wires to where it is terminated? Are the terminations actually on the stake. In my first couple of years, there where several times that the stake on connector did not actually go down on the stake on the board. Also if your using the molded pigtail plugs, there is a chance that it is bad. With no power applied to the controller. Take an ohm meter and ohm out all three wires. Is the pig tail good?

Agreed many of times it is the triac that is bad. But there are chances that it could be something else and being a new controller (so I presume). It just could be a problem with the pig tail.

What Max-Paul said too is absolutely correct! Bad plugs have been discovered before and of course wire connections to the boards, not properly clamped down. If you know how to use a DVM, that will tell the tale. With the understanding that you are working with High-Voltage and could be injured or worse, put the meter leads across the #5 output and common screw terminals with the HWU having turned that channel on. If the power is there, then the cord or connection is bad. If its not there, the Triac is probably bad. But if you get electrocuted, don't blame me....you must know what you are doing with a DVM and HIGH-VOLTAGE and it is potentiallly lethal.