Light-O-Rama Forums

Summer sale?

mavrick331

Hello all,

Last year was my first "controlled" Christmas..... I only have 16 channels but was the hit in neighborhood, won best lights out of 1200 homes....of course only 10 to 15 percent had lights up..

2 questions, am I better off with 32 or 48 channels? Also will there be a summer sale coming soon?

Thanks, Rick

The number of channels is dependent on what props you want to add to your show. For example; if you want a mega tree you will need about 8 channels per color, if you want a Robin wheel it will take 24 channels, leaping arches 7 or 8 channels per arch. 2008 I started with 16 channels, I'm now up to 192. It's an addiction :)

... am I better off with 32 or 48 channels?

I'd say that a better choice is either 64 or 80 channels. Nothing wrong with 96 either. Even 128 is a nice round number. As someone famously said: It's an addiction.

• Like 1

Year 1 for me was 48 channels and about a half universe of DMX (another 256 channels approximately). Year two I'm up to 64 regular LOR channels but now 4 universes of DMX (2048 channels). As previously mentioned, it's an addiction.

Last years summer sale started July 3, and the announcement went out July 1, so maybe you'll get some info on it soon.

Honestly the best number is what your comfortable programming. I started with 32 first year and was overwhelmed, jumped to 64 2nd year and went pretty good. Last year I jumped to 96 and was very comfortable with it. This year I'm up to 128, not all used, should have a few spares here and there. Plus 300 channels of CCP's

I've really enjoyed reading this thread.  Two years ago I purchased one 16 channel controller in kit form in early December.  Just thought I'd see how it worked with no intent to get anything running then (2012).  Next think I realized is my first show happened on December 22 with lots of sequences thanks to the generosity of others who shared.

So last year, we added two more controllers for a total of 48 channels but also went nvts adding 12 CCR's in the form of a tree and three sets of CCBulbs.  So I think that adds 2700 more channels.  I really wondered if I was going to be able to pull it off but we did much to the delight of the neighborhood and our friends.

This year we're adding another 16 channels of conventional channels, three more sets of CCBulbs, one of the cool 24 channel controllers for 'dumb' ribbons and an animated snowman.  

To say this hobby is addictive is certainly an understatement.  Thank the Goddess for an understanding and supportive wife.

Oh, and also looking forward to the summer sale to pick up the things I missed at the Spring sale.

Last year I bought my first 16 channel controller and loved it I hope to buy a second one when the summer sale hits I hope I have a week or so to save up for one 

I guess there will not be a summer sale...summers almost over, nothing in my email

box...

I guess there will not be a summer sale...summers almost over, nothing in my email

box...

Summer started just over 3 weeks ago. So it's about 1/4 over. 

Summer is over?!?!?!?

I think summer starts June 21st and ends Sept 21st here in Canada !

• Like 1

I see folks selling controllers on Ebay...all are selling for 40 bucks less than new, I can buy them new, which sounds better to me...guess there will not be a summer sale....

I see folks selling controllers on Ebay...all are selling for 40 bucks less than new, I can buy them new, which sounds better to me...guess there will not be a summer sale....

Most are selling for around $175 for gen 1 and 2 used controllers, I picked up a new gen 3 at the mad grab for $175. And unlike years past there were plenty to go around, so next year instead of buying used ones in going to try to pickup the new ones for the same price

I have seen them sell for more than new prices on Ebay.

I don't get it...

This year's Spring sale was different.

Lots of controllers and you could still buy them the next morning!

mavrick331 Why do you say there won't be a summer sale??? its still summer in Canada!

I would say that with the Christmas expo going on, LOR doesn't have the staff in the office to deal with the summer sale at this time.  Probably start soon after everyone returns to the office.

• Like 2

Get everyone fired up at the expo as Denny suggested. Then start the sale after the expo is over. I have to agree with Denny's thinking.

• Like 1

Now I am starting to wonder if this will be the first summer without a summer sale. Getting kind of later than I remember from past summers.