Light-O-Rama Forums

cannot use video files?

symphony

I just upgraded to the Basic Plus because I want to incorporate video files into my show this year.

I've gone to Video Preferences and clicked the options I can (full screen not available as don't have advanced licence).

I have converted my HD mp4 video to both .avi and .wmv

however when I try to open up either of them in a new sequence in Sequencer, I get this -

"The media file C:/Users/Christmas/Documents/Light-O-Rama/Video Clips Projector/LetItGo.avi

is not recognised as a valid media file. You will need to select a different file."

Same for the .wmv version ...

What am I missing?? Help??

TIA :)

post-11003-0-29805000-1403271894_thumb.p

You need to re-encode the video using a different codec.  Wmv and avi are only containers, it's how you've compressed the video that is the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

DevMike, is there a document that tells us which codecs and containers LOR supports?

I am about to be creating a 20 minute 720P video file for LOR and would love to have that information up front.

DevMike, is there a document that tells us which codecs and containers LOR supports?

I am about to be creating a 20 minute 720P video file for LOR and would love to have that information up front.

Unfortunately, No.  

The way Windows handles media is a bit of Voodoo, and we are at its mercy.  Typically, the container (mkv/avi/wma/etc) isn't the issue, it's the encoding.  

The Encoding/Decoding is done by the codec, and as long as the codec supplied a Directshow filter we should be able to use it - which is where the Voodoo begins.  Not all codec manufacturers supply Directshow filters, or may not include all the required library calls.  On top of that, you may have installed a codec on one computer, but not on another.  A program completely unrelated to media handling may install a codec and just not tell you, and you'll pull your hair out trying to find it.

The absolute BEST recommendation I can make is run a short test.  Create a small test video and ensure it works on your show machine.

Side Bar:  You may not be happy with a 20 minute sequence.  That is going to be a LOT of data to load, and you may get delays in loading it, etc.  You are going to need to test that before you go live.

If someone needs help converting to a playable format, I have an endless collection of conversion tools, and can probably get mulch it to work and send it back...PM me.