Light-O-Rama Forums

POWER ADAPTER IS A MUST HAVE

John Paul

Best I can figure, you must have a power adaper to set this controller up.
Maybe I read this somewhere but if I did it didn't stick.

When setting up the controller, you have to connect the iDMX to your computer by itself (CAT5e) . In my case, I am using the serial adapter. That means I must have a power adapter to power the iDMX while I set the unit ID (which is one step that must be done).

FIRST, I SET THE DMX ADDRESS ON THE DEVICE TO "10". THIS WAS DONE WITH THE DIP SWITHCES ON THE DEVICE AND THE MANUAL. I CHOSE "10" ARBITRARILY.

SO, THE FOLLOWING ASSUMES THE DMX DEVICE HAS AN ADDRESS OF "10"

Here is the email from Dan regarding what to do after you have the power and CAT5 connected to the iDMX:

"Plug just the iDMX-1000 into the PC (via the LOR adapter). Then in the hardware utility change the Unit ID to 10 as follows:

If the "Max Units" top right corner is less than 33 then change it 33 then Exit from the hardware utility and restart it.

Set "Old Unit ID" to "ANY". Set New Unit ID to "10" then click Change Unit ID.
Once done with the change click the Refresh button... You should see 16 iDMX devices."

Hope this helps someone else.

John,

This is not necessarily true. If you have a controller connected before the iDMX1000, it powers it just fine (as long as it is no more than 25' away). I had a unique situation in which I had to have a power adapter. I used a power adapter to power the iDMX1000 AND a receiving ELL that was more than 50' from the nearest LOR controller.

Additionally, if you have a RS485 adapter with booster, then it will power the iDMX1000 through the CAT5 cable.

I see your point Wayne. Like I said, I'm using the serial adapter so I needed it to change the unit id. If you have a controller attached and you follow Dan's instructions wouldn't you also change the ID of the controller?

If you are using a serial adapter and you follow Dan's instructions, (connecting the iDMX directly to your PC) I don't think you'll get very far without a power adapter.

Correct. With the serial adapter on it's own, you definitely need a way to power the iDMX1000 via the power adapter. I didn't change my address. I left it at E0. Is there a reason to change it? Just wondering. :)

Don't know for sure. I did tell Dan that I set the DIP switches on my DMX device to an address of "10". The DMX device manual did not mention a default address, I had to pick one. I didn't know if I could use the ID of one of my controllers so I picked 10 because I didn't have a controller "10".

I do not know if that is why he told me to set my unit ID to 10. These may be independent of each other and it was just a coincidence that he chose 10.

All I know is that it worked.

John Paul wrote:

Don't know for sure. I did tell Dan that I set the DIP switches on my DMX device to an address of "10". The DMX device manual did not mention a default address, I had to pick one. I didn't know if I could use the ID of one of my controllers so I picked 10 because I didn't have a controller "10".

I do not know if that is why he told me to set my unit ID to 10. These may be independent of each other and it was just a coincidence that he chose 10.

All I know is that it worked.

Hi,

The reason I picked 10 is that you did not have controllers at or above 10 in your network and it is the lowest value where "0" is the second digit. You want your iDMX-1000 to have a '0' as the second digit so that you can get 256 channels out of it.

Dan

• The topic was locked