Light-O-Rama Forums

Music not following sequence

Eric Nanista

Ok, so my sequences have been fine for several years and now is being stupid.

My sequences  start fine and will play all the way through and not have a problem. When i select the "start from selection" in the play range and make an adjustment, it is no longer synchronized no matter what i do. Even if i just start and stop a song it is off by like 4 seconds every time. If i start from the beginning of the song it will be fine. I am just watching the boxes flash on the time scale, not running visualizer or controllers yet. One thing, I have updated my verson of S3 to latest version if that makes a difference.

thanks in advance!!!

Edited by Eric Nanista

In almost every case this is a matter of the media file you are using not being a Constant Bit Rate MP3 file (or WAV file.)

See this PDF from LOR. It will show you how to use Audacity to make a Constant Bit Rate MP3 out of the file.

For a much more technical explanation of what's going on, see this post.

• 2 weeks later...

I is still doing it. Got it at 128 through audacity and the further into the song it gets the more off the tapper wizzard is off. Tried redoing tapper wizzard and is off every time, HELP!!!

I know this sounds like a stupid answer, but run the audio through Audacity again. There have been times I've had to run it through twice for it to work, and I have no idea why.

Also, look in the "Edit" menu for "Use Internal Audio" (on later S3 versions) what ever setting it is currently at ... change it.

• 3 months later...

I found this thread which is old but I am having a similar problem.  I added pixels this year.  If I play the song at normal speed the timing of the pixels gets off.  If I play it at 1/4 speed they stay timed perfectly.  Is there an easy fix to this?

It also seems to get off timing when I have it go on and off real fast, as in on for .08 of a sec, off for .08, on for .08 etc.  If I do three of these in a row the third one is about 2 seconds off when it finally lights up.  I am using 7515-5050 RGB pixels. 

I changed the output to only one pixel set and the timing is still off

Edited by amstone110

I've had lame for years so it's not that.  Audio file is 123 constant bit rate mp3.  Could it possibly be my computer and Ethernet is not fast enough to keep up?  I'm using a laptop computer with built in Ethernet card which is running at 100mbps. It's a Toshiba Satellite C655, Intel Core I3 M380@2.53GHz processor, 4.00GB RAM with a 64 bit operating system, running Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1.  Too Slow?  It did fine with 5 controllers last year, just seems to not keep up with the 50/50's.  Or are the 50/50's and the PixLite 16 not fast enough to keep up? 

I know this sounds like a stupid answer, but run the audio through Audacity again. There have been times I've had to run it through twice for it to work, and I have no idea why.

Also, look in the "Edit" menu for "Use Internal Audio" (on later S3 versions) what ever setting it is currently at ... change it.

Don, can you eplain the "internal audio" ?  I've seen it turned "on".  What is the purpose, and does it make sense to leave it at the same setting for all sequences ? 

Just curious.

Thanks

I have run into this problem yesterday......I'm using windows 8.1 and not sure if that's the problem.  My Lenova netbook doesn't have an issue. I downloaded Audacity as you guys recommended above and played the sequence and Holy Crap.................You would've thought I was drinking trying to sequence this damn song.  Now I have to re-do everything or maneuver it so to speak.  Is it safe for me to trust this way before I do this twice? 

I'm starting to pull my hear out trying to figure this out.  I've checked and changed about every setting possible. :(

I finally figured out the problem and want to make everyone else aware so they don't have it too.  The pixel timing was off because I did not have my RS-485 hooked up while I was testing the sequence.  I was testing the PixLite 16 which runs off of E1-31 so I did not see the need in having the 485 hooked up also.  I would turn on control lights every time after hitting play.  I'm thinking that LOR must have been searching for the 485 and controllers to play the other parts of the sequence and this was messing it up.  Kinda odd that it did this and that it only messed with the timing the lights were turned on/off.  4 days of sequencing lost and no telling how many settings I've screwed up on my computer but oh well, problem solved. 

• 2 weeks later...

Glad I found this thread...  I had a similar issue - I had 2 minutes of sequencing done then I played back a range and it was at least 3 beats off... using audacity to convert to 128 constant bit seems to have solved the issue.

win7sp2 here...