Light-O-Rama Forums

Wiring RGB Pixel Nodes and they dont light up?

Big Sanch Mafia

thanks for reading

I just received a new Easypix controller from Holiday coro, i powered it up. then i connected a string of 50 rgb pixel nodes and they don't come on. These are 5v nodes and I'm using a 5v cell phone charger as my power source. is it possible that my power source is not strong enough to power the pixels?

I believe the wiring is correct....... by putting the red wire to the V+, blue to data and white to GND.

Either i have it wired wrong or not enough power...either way I'm baffled.

I'm new to RGB pixels, using this year to learn about them, but im a bit stumped out the gate. I thought i would reach out to the community and see if someone can help out.

Thanks for your help

Edited by Big Sanch Mafia

First, did you get the programmer cable to go with the TinyPix? http://www.holidaycoro.com/Programmer-Cable-p/54-2.htm&click=670

It's quite possible the controller test function is off.

You should be able to access the software for the controller with that power source, but unlikely it will power all 50 pixels. Most pixels are 60 milli-amps per pixel meaning most 50 pixel strings will require 3 amps on all white. (referencing mine) Most cell phone chargers are in the 0.2 amp range. (looking at mine) This is by no means what they all run at, pixels or cell phone chargers, just what mine are.

Try a PS with at least 5 amps output and use the programmer cable. ***note*** This programmer cable will not work as a dongle for the show, but you can access all functions of the controller, and, run test patterns.

As a side note, if you're doing E1.31, you can use an E1.31 to DMX bridge to run this controller from your E1.31 stream. It's how I did it last year. This is the one I use: http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=22&zenid=16d892c120d0e0c80cfe8b2719b0f370

J1Sys has 2 also. Ed offers the ECG-D2: http://www.j1sys.com/ecg-d2/

and the ECG-D4: http://www.j1sys.com/ecg-d4/, but don't quote me on that.

Hope this sheds some light (Pun intended) on your predicament.

Edited by Ron Boyd

First, did you get the programmer cable to go with the TinyPix? http://www.holidaycoro.com/Programmer-Cable-p/54-2.htm&click=670

It's quite possible the controller test function is off.

Ron, i have the easypix... didnt think the programmer cable was needed. watching the video, he doesnt mention anything. it seems like it should work out of the box. heres the product http://www.holidaycoro.com/DMX-to-SPI-Smart-Pixel-Decoder-Controller-p/614-ps.htm

You should be able to access the software for the controller with that power source, but unlikely it will power all 50 pixels. Most pixels are 60 milli-amps per pixel meaning most 50 pixel strings will require 3 amps on all white. (referencing mine) Most cell phone chargers are in the 0.2 amp range. (looking at mine) This is by no means what they all run at, pixels or cell phone chargers, just what mine are.

Try a PS with at least 5 amps output and use the programmer cable. ***note*** This programmer cable will not work as a dongle for the show, but you can access all functions of the controller, and, run test patterns.

I have the DMX actidongle for when i add these to the show.

would this work for power supply, i have a few laying around from a deal of the day? http://www.holidaycoro.com/product-p/65-ps.htm

As a side note, if you're doing E1.31, you can use an E1.31 to DMX bridge to run this controller from your E1.31 stream. It's how I did it last year. This is the one I use: http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=22&zenid=16d892c120d0e0c80cfe8b2719b0f370

J1Sys has 2 also. Ed offers the ECG-D2: http://www.j1sys.com/ecg-d2/

and the ECG-D4: http://www.j1sys.com/ecg-d4/, but don't quote me on that.

I'll look into these but based on the specs for the esaypix, i thought i was covered. im more interested in just getting the new nodes to work and then move on from there...

Hope this sheds some light (Pun intended) on your predicament.

Thanks Ron

Oops. I am sorry. I thought you were talking about the TinyPix controller. These are 2 totally different animals. I'm afraid I can't help you on that one. I have no experience with it.

I can, however, help with one or 2 of the other questions. Those power supplies will work just fine, as long as there is enough power for the pixels. If I remember correctly, they should run a string of 50 quite easily.

The bridges I mentioned are used if you're going to run your show via E1.31. If you're using the Actidongle, you will not need the bridges.

I use the bridge for small elements where an E682, E6804 or P12S is just overkill. The TinyPix is my choice, but the EasyPix was not available last year. Maybe I'll pick one of these up and play around with it. If I can get it running, I may go with them in future.

Oops. I am sorry. I thought you were talking about the TinyPix controller. These are 2 totally different animals. I'm afraid I can't help you on that one. I have no experience with it.

I can, however, help with one or 2 of the other questions. Those power supplies will work just fine, as long as there is enough power for the pixels. If I remember correctly, they should run a string of 50 quite easily.

The bridges I mentioned are used if you're going to run your show via E1.31. If you're using the Actidongle, you will not need the bridges.

I use the bridge for small elements where an E682, E6804 or P12S is just overkill. The TinyPix is my choice, but the EasyPix was not available last year. Maybe I'll pick one of these up and play around with it. If I can get it running, I may go with them in future.

Thanks Ron... no worries. i think its a power issue and i will try the meniotned PS tonight. I reached out to Holiday Coro, hopefully they get back to me.

I was hoping with the name easypix, that would be case... its prob something minor. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks

I do know that David and company are getting out Pre-order shipments now, at least in the last couple of days. If you can catch him on chat, you may be able to ask him questions then. I think I'm going to order one of these just to see if I like it.

Please do keep me posted. I'm liable to run into the same problem. If I get one of those in the next little bit, I'll play around with it and see what I can make of it.

I sent David an email, asked if he could help out when he can.

That would be great if you picke done up, they seem pretty straight forward...

Ill keep you posted.

I just thought of something, on the individual pixels, can you make out the lettering on the silk screen of the pixel board. Use a magnifying glass to make sure your arrows are pointing away from the controller and make sure the wiring is correct. All pixels are different. Some have power and ground on opposite sides and the data in the middle, assuming WS2811 pixels. I have seen some strips where the power and ground were next to each other and data on the outside pad.

Just something that I remember from one of my mistakes last year.

Ron,

Ill have to check tonight, I thought about the arrow and from what i can tell it looks correct. i believe i actually even switched ends to counter that.

based on the wire details for the pixels on the coro site, it seems to be right. i did switch the red and white wires back and forth, leaving the blue wire in the data. but it is interesting to think, like you said that the wire placement might be different. Tradionally i thought red was + but i guess that varies.

these are the pixels i recieved http://www.holidaycoro.com/Smart-Pixel-LED-RGB-8mm-12mm-Nodes-p/710-ps.htm

but the wires are red blue white, they are 2811

-Chad

all pixel strips or nodes will vary with different brands and types. You have to look at each wire where it enters the node or strip. You can tell by v+ is positive, grnd, ground. and most of the time di is data in. 2811 are three wire so no clock wire. Also the arrow is important, it needs to point away from the controller.

all pixel strips or nodes will vary with different brands and types. You have to look at each wire where it enters the node or strip. You can tell by v+ is positive, grnd, ground. and most of the time di is data in. 2811 are three wire so no clock wire. Also the arrow is important, it needs to point away from the controller.

Thanks James,

This helps, i will look closer when i get home. I appreciate it

Do you have controller set to master mode then select 1 of 26 modes for testing without computer

Do you have controller set to master mode then select 1 of 26 modes for testing without computer

yes

If I was to guess. Red is the + wire. Blue would be my - wire and the white would be my signal. These are the colors that I was taught some 40 yrs ago in Tech school. Well actually black was - but that was not an option so I went with the blue.

But this is just a wild guess on my part without being there or seeing a good detailed picture.

UPDATE:

Okay i have made some progress and thanks to everyone's help. James your advice was clutch and very helpful. Max your was right there with his.

I did have the wiring wrong. red was +, White = data and blue is ground per the nodes and James/max logic.

regarding the arrows, they are pointing away from the easypix controller... see the image.

now, some of the nodes are barely coming on.. im only getting red and its randomly. I went through the setting and nothing changed. i did notice on the nodes that they read from left to right BGR.. i changed the setting on the easypix and nothing happened.

I did hook up the 12v power supply http://www.holidayco...uct-p/65-ps.htm which made them turn on but not at full power... :(

i didnt solder the wires yet, just using wire nuts. i will solder over the weekend...can that have anything to do with it?

whats your thoughts?

i would attached an image to show you the wiring and arrows but cant seem to get it to upload.

Hey Big

If you have connected the wire while the power is on you have blown a pixel. If so you may need to cut away the first couple of dead pixels. 

I will also state the simple things cause if your like me its easy to forget one of them.

I was setting up a new computer last night and some obvious things you need to remember when running a show with lor and e131

Lor dongle needs to be in and active. ( set up a controller and use hardware utility to find the com port)

Control panel needs to be on (red light on will do unless your running  a show)

Network configuration needs to be set up

The controller you are using to run the pixels needs to be programmed to address the pixels

A second rj45 conection is needed to run in dmx mode to your pixel controller. ( I use a usb lan connection here. You could run it threw your internet also )

Se - Run a sequence making sure channel configuration is correct

All of the above is in order and still doesnt work, then reboot computer.

Cheers

John

Hey Big

If you have connected the wire while the power is on you have blown a pixel. If so you may need to cut away the first couple of dead pixels. 

I will also state the simple things cause if your like me its easy to forget one of them.

I was setting up a new computer last night and some obvious things you need to remember when running a show with lor and e131

Lor dongle needs to be in and active. ( set up a controller and use hardware utility to find the com port)

Control panel needs to be on (red light on will do unless your running  a show)

Network configuration needs to be set up

The controller you are using to run the pixels needs to be programmed to address the pixels

A second rj45 conection is needed to run in dmx mode to your pixel controller. ( I use a usb lan connection here. You could run it threw your internet also )

Se - Run a sequence making sure channel configuration is correct

All of the above is in order and still doesnt work, then reboot computer.

Cheers

John

John,

I made sure the power was always off.. but to verfiy I can connect a different pixel string and see if i am getting the same result.

I appreciate your feedback, but im not that far yet. I'm am just testing the nodes with the easy pix controller. they can run without the use of a computer. when i add them to a show, then yes they will be connected through the actidongle. but at this point, im just trying to test the pixels and easypix controller

IMAG2213_zps24ae9c06.jpg

Here is the image i was trying to upload last night

Did you put a meter on the power supply and verify your voltage to the pixel string was 5v?

Wait, did you say your power supply was 12v? Your link says it is. This may be your problem. Your power supply needs to be the same as the pixels. 5v pixels, 5v power supply, 12v pixels, 12v power supply. You may have fried that string.

Did you put a meter on the power supply and verify your voltage to the pixel string was 5v?

Wait, did you say your power supply was 12v? Your link says it is. This may be your problem. Your power supply needs to be the same as the pixels. 5v pixels, 5v power supply, 12v pixels, 12v power supply. You may have fried that string.

im using 12v power supply to the controller... strings are 5v

I was using a cell phone charger that is 5v and wasnt getting any power to the strings...