Light-O-Rama Forums

Light-O-Rama CMB24D Deluxe DC Card

rooster423

this may have been asked before, but is the Light-O-Rama CMB24D Deluxe DC Card; about the same as the SanE682 board?

if not what is the difference? what can the E682 do that CMB24D can't? etc

In short, the E682 is used for up to 12 universes of Pixels (Intellegent)

The CMB24 is used for Basic pixels and will run 8 strings or 8 RGB channels.

Two totally different animals

No, one (lor board) controls dumb pixels/strips (entire strip of light changes to one color). E682 controls smart RGB pixels where you can control each individual pixel on a string/strip.

I gave a short answer yesterday and now that I have a little more time, I’ll give a better explanation of what I said.

The Sandevices E682 and E6804 are E1.31 controllers. They will support Intelligent pixels or smart RGB depending on what you call them. The pixels have an IC associated with them, ie. WS2801, WS2811, LPD6803 (LOR CC(X) products), etc. Each individual Pixel on a string is addressable, meaning, if you have 16 strings of 50 pixels, you can have 800 different colors on that element, at the same time. I wouldn’t think anyone would want to do that, but it is possible. This controller is used mostly for the Pixel trees, but is also used for other elements as well.

The LOR CMB24-DC is a dumb pixel controller, or as I like to call them, Basic. This controller will, if ran as designed (RGB), has four RGB channels per side, 8 total. It can be ran as a LOR controller in that network or as DMX on a different dongle or E1.31 (with an E1.31 to DMX bridge) network. Most folks are using it for RGB, floods, or strips or nodes, etc. A basic strip or individual nodes will have pretty much the same components as the intelligent, pixels,---minus the IC---. When you pick a color, the entire strip or string will be that color. This one does the same thing as the RGB 27 channel controller that a lot of folks have used in the past. Holiday Coro, Creative Lighting Displays and Ray Wu sell the 27 channel units. I’m sure more do, but these are the ones I know for sure.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

When looking at Pixels, how can you tell if they are Smart or Dumb? I was looking on Aliexpress.com and I couldn't tell if the pixels I was looking at were smart or dumb?

the pixels will have a number like: 2811,2801 ,6803 etc. also some numbers will be 5050, now thats the size of the leds in the strips. pixels nodes also come in various styles like square and bullet. I prefer the 2811 style pixels, they are three wires,just one less thing to get messed up.

The SMART PIXELS ALWAYS HAVE AN IC CHIP WITH A #IDENTIFYING NUMBER LIKE WS2811 or WS2801 and a few more different types

Generally the description is fairly obvious as it will tell what chip type it is.  If in doubt, post a link to the item and many of us should be able to answer the question for you.

The SMART PIXELS ALWAYS HAVE AN IC CHIP WITH A #IDENTIFYING NUMBER LIKE WS2811 or WS2801 and a few more different types

A few of them (type WS8212) have the IC chips built into them and you might not be able to tell by looking.

But they should be called WS2812 type of LED strip.

• The topic was locked