Light-O-Rama Forums

Need help Quickly !!!

Don Williams

Really this is about the first time I have ever need help quickly. I have a private show coming up this coming Saturday with about 400 people.

Have a CTB-08 board that the network just can not find. I removed the board from the display and placed in the house and connected it to PC. Utility can not find the board. The light is blinking !!! This was one of the first boards Dan came out with. Tim maybe you can help with this since we were one of the first to purchase these boards when Dan open the doors. Can you tell me step by step how to reset it.

Also have 2 - CTB-16D,s that sits there and just blink away. They were working last night. Using LOR I 1.6.1 from Com port. Tried changing CAT-5 cable 4 times . How do you reset it if needed ?

Hope someone can HELP!!! The pressure is really getting to me now !!

Don Williams

Lake Myra Christmas Wendell, NC

Don:

I had this happen to me last year, and Dan said to do this. In the hardware utility change the existing ID but use "any unit" as the source and the ID it is supposed to be for the new unit ID. DO NOT connect anything but the lost unit to the data cable. It solved my "lost" CTB-08 last season.

Mike

Don Williams wrote:

Also have 2 - CTB-16D,s that sits there and just blink away. They were working last night. Using LOR I 1.6.1 from Com port. Tried changing CAT-5 cable 4 times . How do you reset it if needed ?

Don,

My first suggestion would have been a new cable from the adapter to the first board. I see you have taken that action. Maybe a a reboot will work. Also, The adapter could be the issue. The reason I say the adapter is because you say the CTB-16D just blink. I am assuming your talking when the HU is in use and polling the the controllers.

To reset the 16D controllers. First disconnect power. Second disconnect the comm cable. Set the unit ID switches to 00. Power on the controller. The LED flash pattern will be different at this point. 10 seconds or so is about enough to reset. Then disconnect the power and set the unit ID switches back to the desired ID, connect the comm cable and power up.

Chuck

radioguy1007 wrote:

Don:

I had this happen to me last year, and Dan said to do this. In the hardware utility change the existing ID but use "any unit" as the source and the ID it is supposed to be for the new unit ID. DO NOT connect anything but the lost unit to the data cable. It solved my "lost" CTB-08 last season.

Mike

Don-- that's exactly what I would have recommended. It should work for you, I've had to do it to mine several times over the years.

-Tim

Don Williams wrote:

Oops, missed this part.

To attempt to reset: unplug unit, set to ID 0 (both switches), plug in. LED should blink rapidly. Wait about 10 seconds. Unplug unit and set to desired ID. Plug in and retest.

If it still doesn't work: Try a known-good unit first in the chain, then a 'bad' unit second. See if that works. I have one CTB-16D that evidently isn't sending proper voltage back to the LOR "dongle" and therefore can't be first in the chain. I put a big label on the inside of that box to remind me never to put it first in the chain -- eventually I send it back in for repairs. But this caused me a huge panic last week until I figured it out.

Good luck,

-Tim

Hey Guys , Thanks a Bunch I will try this tomorrow right now my brain a jello. i WILL keep you posted on how it works and thanks again for your response.

Don Williams

Lake Myra Christmas

OK, guys , I have got the 16D,s back up and running, but the CTB-08 will not respond to the hardware utility. When I select any unit then a controller number, I get a window saying "Unable to locate unit" I have changed the Cat-5 cable 3 times and have tested each cable with my cat-5 tester. The unit is in the house when testing but the LED is still blinking. Now I am puzzled !!! Any suggestions?

Don

Don Williams wrote:

OK, guys , I have got the 16D,s back up and running, but the CTB-08 will not respond to the hardware utility. When I select any unit then a controller number, I get a window saying "Unable to locate unit" I have changed the Cat-5 cable 3 times and have tested each cable with my cat-5 tester. The unit is in the house when testing but the LED is still blinking. Now I am puzzled !!! Any suggestions?

Don

Are you getting a solid (vs. blinking) LED when you connect the unit to the computer?

-Tim

Try conecting it to the sequence editor. The editor (i think) finds the LOR netword on startup, so if that is the case, then regardless of ID, the LED on the unit will be solid. So if the sequence editor is running and the LED still blinks, then the unit is bad.

--Daniel L

OK everyone, it has been determine that the unit is BAD !! Talked with Dan by e-mail and he has one on next day air which I should receive it tomorrow. My show has been SAVED !!!!

For all the newbies here, when you picked LOR for your displays, you made a great and wise move. I have never met Dan, but I have being doing business with LOR since they open the doors and in my opinion you just can not beat the service and support his company gives !! Hats off to him and his company.

Info for everyone : This controller would not respond to the PC. The LED would blink always even after trying to force the ID. If the PC could locate the unit then you will be able to force the ID.

Thanks to all of you that worked with me on the problem.

Question to Tim : When you had to force the ID on your controller would the LED become solid when connected to the PC ? ( Just for my knowledge )

Again thanks guys

Don

Don Williams wrote:

Question to Tim : When you had to force the ID on your controller would the LED become solid when connected to the PC ? ( Just for my knowledge )

Yeah, the LED should be solid whenever it's connected to the computer and LOR is running (either the HWU, sequence editor set to "control lights", or shows enabled). If not, you don't have communication, and you can't change the ID.

The way I understand it, the computer sends a regular "heartbeat" that all boards listen to to determine that there's communication. If a board doesn't get the heartbeat, the LED blinks. Most other comm events are tagged to a specific unit ID; all boards will see them on the line, but ignore them if the event isn't intended for them.

-Tim