Light-O-Rama Forums

The Color Brown

Jeff Messer

Watching my lee file this morning in the visualizer it does not show the color brown. Without hooking them up can a pixel show brown? I cant see the color in the lor file either.I might be going color blind.

Jeff

Not something I had though of. It may be that you cannot do brown with LEDs. In terms of RGB values, Brown is roughly 25% red, 0% green and 0% blue.

Regards,

Alan.

Edited by Alan C

The visualizer takes the values it is given and uses them as "percent brightness" values. The end result is that it is accurate for incandescent lights, but LEDs behave differently. For example, with an incandescent light, to get 10% brightness you send the value 10 to the controller. With an LED, to get 10% brightness you have to send a value of 1 or 2. And to get 20% brightness you have to send a value of 4 or 5.

SuperStar takes this into account because it knows that the lights are LEDs. So if you draw images that use dim settings down in the 10-30% range, the values it exports are lower than the percentage brightness value that you chose. Brown colors use mixtures of red, green and blue at low settings. In the sequence "gangnam style" there is a horse that has different shades of brown. The values I used were:

dark brown - red=20, green=10, blue=10

brown - red=40, green=20, blue=20

light brown - red=60, green=30, blue=30

When played to CCRs, CCBs, or CCPs the color looks pretty good. LEDs are so bright, it is hard to get good colors at dim settings. SuperStar adjusts them best it can, but the browns still tend to look too bright. But if you look at the videos of the sequence it looks pretty good. And the colors look better in person than they do in the videos. In the video below the dancing Psy character at the beginning has black hair, black sunglasses, and dark grey shoes. For those colors I used:

black hair - red=10, green=10, blue=10

black sunglasses - red=0, green=0, blue=0

dark grey shoes - red=10, green=10, blue=20

On the preview in SuperStar you can just barely see the black hair. On the CCRs, it is not as dark, but it is the darkest that you can get a CCR without turning it completely off.

In the video below, the dancing Psy character is at the 0:10 - 0:20.  The horse is at 0:35 - 0:39

If you play this sequence to the visualizer, you won't see the dim colors at all. Just realize that the visualizer won't show dim colors of LEDs. The values it is seeing are so low that you may not see them at all.

Brian,

Thanks for all you do in this hobby. I understand it better now and I feel better that it will show on the pixel but not on the visualizer.

thanks,

Jeff

Watching my lee file this morning in the visualizer it does not show the color brown. Without hooking them up can a pixel show brown? I cant see the color in the lor file either.I might be going color blind.

Jeff

I used the brown color in several sequences last year.  The color was diffused though coro, but it still looked good.  The RGB combination I used was:

Red : 133

Green : 97

Blue : 35

Hope this helps.