Light-O-Rama Forums

How to incorporate DMX lights into a show

flyinbyu20

Well I ordered a DMX cable and terminator to arrive Wed. and thurs.  

In the mean time, I was trying to use both S3 and also Xlights and could not get it to work.  Is there a way I can post more pictures in this thread to specifically show you what I am seeing?  

You can't use xligjts and the LOR Control Panel simultaneously to my knowledge. The Light O Rama control panel makes the lights flash erratically when they are both on. Unload the control panel and the flashing will cease.

That could be it... I do believe I had both going and the lights were flashing all sorts of patterns and colors erratically.  Also, still looking for a way to upload more pictures to this thread for help...?

I just did a quick browse but the things I would look at are:

1). Make sure you have your light setup for dmx mode. It looks like it can be stand alone. It looks like 1-9 dips off and 10 on will put the light in dmx mode.

2). Make sure you have your dongle working proper. This needs to be working before plugging in your lights. You need to setup the universe in LOR network config tab. Then start the LOR listener and make sure no errors reported in the window. To get the dmx dongle to work you must have it plugged in and the LOR USB dongle plugged in too. The listener will show any errors. If there are errors you need to correct before plugging in your light.

3). Make sure control lights stays selected and checked when you play a sequence with dmx. This just checks the communications again. Usually you get the listener error before attempting to run a sequence but this is another good check to determine if LOR is communicating with the dmx dongle.

4). Make sure you have your new light's channel setup proper in LOR sw. Correct universe and channels for the element.

The terminator and cable may help. But I did complete shows last year without a terminator without issue. Once you start having more than one element on the dmx line this will cause more of an issue. But with one element I don't think this matters and will not solve your current issue.

Testing with plain RGB lights would be less stressful than a moving light as blinking colors incorrectly is less violent than a moving head but start with making sure your communications are working first. I bet that is your problem right now.

I will wait to see if you can get comms working before posting more. I hope you can quickly see that dmx is just not communicating. This is normal for most people when adding dmx. Me included. The communications not happening always causes a stumble. But once you figure it out you never forget.

Sax

To add more photos you will have to delete some of your older ones. I don't know why the forum has such a small limit.

Also, never had an issue with the holiday coro dongle and +1 channel. Channels always have lined up proper.

Looking at your picture it shows only 4 channels. Is this not a moving head? It only shows r,g, b and a strobe. But it does not tell you what your starting channel is or how to program it. Somehow you need to program the element's first channel then the next 3 will follow suit.

Example, if you can program it to be channel 1 then channel 2,3,4 will be your RGB channels. Of course channel 1 will be the strobe. What is model of your light?

Ok. I will wait for feedback.

This is how the Network Prefrences tab should look.  My HC Dongle is Universe 4.  It should show up the same for whatever universe you want:

The listener should look like this, again my HC Dongle device is on Universe 4:

The other universes are my Sans Device and I am still testing and orgainizing so it looks scattered.  But the point is Universe 4 for my pictures should match whatever Universe you setup for your HC Dongle.  The listener had better say adapter opened.  If not, you need to get your dongle working.  If it does....then we move forward with the next step.

Also, you must have your LOR USB device plugged in.  Otherwise DMX won't work.

Let's try this to show you pics

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w8g89oh6db5szou/AAC9LF5KRIml_UXRBezJ-aU2a

so, first off, it doesnt show as enttec pro.  You can see my only option if gives me.  You are correct, the device is a RGB wash light.  I also have a moving light and I could not get either to work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161145551507?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221246706370?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

and here is video of it in action.  You can see when plugged in it flashes all sorts or things.  Then if I unplug the Dongle to the PC, it freezes to whatever it was last on.  

I didnt take a picture of it, but when I was testing, the only switch that was on was number 10.  1-9 were flipped off

If you look at the DIP chart again, I am confused with ON 10+ and off (1~9) 

the one before it says ON 10 and OFF 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 for Slave.... 

not sure the light switch position

Ok, to make it channel one you have 10 and 1 on. Pins 1-9 are the address.

So now try making it channel 1. Then 2-4 will be the color.

It looks like the device is open so see if it sees channel 1.

The next thing to look at would be to make sure your dmx signal is going to the light on the correct pins. But first try the programming of the channel.

I set 10 and 1 on, now what do you want me to do to program the channel?

also, I was re-reading... you said this earlier "Also, you must have your LOR USB device plugged in.  Otherwise DMX won't work."  I do not have that plugged in...I will try to plug it in too

yeah, plug that LOR device in.  Program something for universe 1 channels 2-4 in the sequence editor for some color and run it.  See if you get some output.  It should not do random stuff once you get the signal flowing proper.

You have the v2 dongle which gives you the ability for xlr output....nice.  It also comes up with a random name....so you can use more than one dongle without issue.  v1 dongles had those limitations that is now corrected. 

ok.  so you have control panel running, lor dongle plugged in, universe 1 channels 2-3 with something in it.  And control lights selected?  Does control lights stay on?

hmmm.  Make sure the control lights is selected.  go ahead and unload and reload the control panel to see if that helps.  Bring up the listener while the sequence plays see if it is in error

ok.  it looked the dongle was green and yellow lights.  so it looks like that is producing the dmx signal, at least on the cat 5 side.  Can you verify what the signal for the dj light should be?  I mean, is pin 3 data + on the dj light?