Light-O-Rama Forums

Need Help with new G3 residential controllers

Ok, Got my 10 G3 controllers at the Mad grab sale and assembled the power cords then i tested and gave each one a unit ID and everything worked out fine..........Then just for grins I hooked a set of lights to each of the channels and played one of my sequences and everything seemed to be OK until  the end of the song, 3 channels stayed on, I had to remove power to the controller to get them to turn off .

Ii realize I had only one string of lights and they are LED's and had no snubber on the sets but I thought the G3 units had built in snubbers and this never happened to my G2 units.

Do I have a problem with the unit or Is it something dumb that I'm doing?

Any help would be appreciated

Is it something that happens with just 1 controller, or do they all do it using the same sequence?

If they all do it, I'd check the sequence and your settings, such as lights on/off after the sequence ends. If only 1 controller does it, then I'd suspect that controller is slightly kittywompas.

Edited by George Simmons

Is it something that happens with just 1 controller, or do they all do it using the same sequence?

If they all do it, I'd check the sequence and your settings, such as lights on/off after the sequence ends. If only 1 controller does it, then I'd suspect that controller is slightly kittywompas.

I was really hopin' ya wouldn't say that!!!!  But before I get to nervous, I'll change over to another controller and play the same sequence on the other one and see what happens (I didn't think of that)  Thanks!

Hoooray!  I went and changed the ID on on another controller and the same thing happened (Guess thats good news)

Then I went and turned all the lights off for the last 2 seconds on the sequence and none of the lights stayed on after the song ended.

Thanks for the advise George........

But I'm still confused,  as to why this didn't happen on my gen 2 controllers last Christmas ?

One more question George, you said to check my settings such as light off at the end of the song......I don't know where that would be in SE, I never had to do that with the other controllers.........

All I did to this sequence was remove any lights that were on for the last 2 seconds of the song.  So if you could tell me of a setting I don;t know of I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks

In the SE, go to PLAY > LIGHTS OFF AT END and make sure it has a check next to it.

I don't think it matters whether it's a Gen 2 or Gen 3 controller. But if I'm wrong, hopefully someone from LOR will come along and correct me and educate us both. Maybe it's something that just happens with the SE and not the Show Player. Personally, I always have made sure that all lights are off at the beginning and end of each sequence.

Starting in version 2.8.12, which was released on October 1, 2010, the sequence editor has an item in the "Play" menu titled "Lights Off and End". If this is not checked, then any channels that are left turned on at the end of your sequence will remain on when it stops. The status of this selection is saved in the Windows Registry (when the Sequence Editor is closed normally, but not if it crashes), and it defaults no "not checked", so if you moved to a new computer, or even a different Windows account on the same computer, then it will go back to "not checked".

In most cases it doesn't matter, because as soon as you exit the Sequence Editor, the controllers will lose the heartbeat signal and turn the lights off anyway. This behavior is controlled differently in the show player (by the "Turn used lights off at the end of each sequence" checkbox), so there is no worry that Sequence Editor behavior will affect your show.

Personal preferences vary widely, but some of use prefer a show in which the lights return to a dimmer state at the end and beginning of each sequence, which results in a smoother transition without the "brief power glitch" look, the visual equivalent to a DJ transitioning to the next song.

Starting in version 2.8.12, which was released on October 1, 2010, the sequence editor has an item in the "Play" menu titled "Lights Off and End".

Gee Steven, you must have a different version than me. Mine says "Lights Off at End".  Gotcha!  :P

Edited by Max-Paul