Light-O-Rama Forums

Aaaarrrrggghhhh Visualizer

Ron Boyd

If it's not pixels, why are you not using Regular fixtures (1 for each element) that can each handle 16 channels?

I'm using 120+ 16ch controllers. It can't be 1 fixture per element....1 fixture per channel more like it. Let's take a mega tree for example. The mega tree has 3 colors and each color is 12 channels...or 36 channels total. That's 36 fixtures required for the 1 element. That only 3 controller....I still have 117 controllers more. The 1024 fixture limit won't work unless I'm missing something?

What city is this park in?

Nashville TN. Also expanding to 3 other cities....Richmond VA, Chattanooga TN and Mobile AL. I'll provide more info later when it gets closer.

I'm using 120+ 16ch controllers. It can't be 1 fixture per element....1 fixture per channel more like it. Let's take a mega tree for example. The mega tree has 3 colors and each color is 12 channels...or 36 channels total. That's 36 fixtures required for the 1 element. That only 3 controller....I still have 117 controllers more. The 1024 fixture limit won't work unless I'm missing something?

No, that would be 12 fixtures with 3 channels each.

Please work through the tutorial in the help file.  It will show you how to correctly set up those fixtures.

No, that would be 12 fixtures with 3 channels each.

Please work through the tutorial in the help file.  It will show you how to correctly set up those fixtures.

I'm sorry...you're correct. I did discover this yesterday. My example was a bad example. My mega tree "looked" better with each string as it's own fixture but the 3 channels per fixture works too.

In your case, since you are NOT using pixels, think of a fixture as a 'collection of like channels'.  If you have a roofline that uses 4 colors, where each color is on a separate channel, create 1 fixture and assign the 4 channels.  Same holds true for a bush, a tree, or whatever.

You also don't need separate fixtures for items that use the same channel IDs.  For example, if one of your controllers is set to the same ID as another controller on the same network, draw the lights on the other item but when it asks you to create a new fixture or add them to an existing one, add them to the existing one.

If your roof line has 2 distinct parts (1 at the top of the building, and another at the top of say a garage), don't create 2 fixtures.  Create a single ROOF fixture and add the one drawing to the fixture of the other.  

Also remember that the Visualizer should not be thought of something that will give 'Photo Realism'.  It is not designed to make your virtual stage look exactly like your real stage.  If it were, why bother putting out lights at all?  Just throw a TV out there with a visualizer running and a 'Merry Christmas' sign! :)

This morning I was able to create a 16ch Candy Cane using 1 fixture so I may make it under the 1024 limit. I used 1 string and assign 16 channels to it. The first channel ends up being where I started the drawing. Each bulb or dot is a channel. When I first drew it....it had 20 dots so when I played it, dot 1 or channel 1 at the top would light, but so would dot 17 and so on. What I did was change the bulb size, spacing size and was able to fit 16 dots for the element. 

You also don't need separate fixtures for items that use the same channel IDs.  For example, if one of your controllers is set to the same ID as another controller on the same network, draw the lights on the other item but when it asks you to create a new fixture or add them to an existing one, add them to the existing one.

About not needing different fixtures for using the same channel ID. I have 8 Candy Canes and each using 16 channel....but all 8 are using the same channel ID. I see I can add to an existing fixture when I draw it, but can I copy and past the original Candy Cane so I don't have to redraw 7 of the same? All I figured out how to do is add them all to the same prop but still has 8 fixtures. This will cut down more on the fixtures.

I know all too well that software programs such as these are very, very complex. The LOR programmers have their hands full trying to get the needed changes accomplished without causing problems for other programs too, plus it all has to work in different operating system environments. Its nearly too late for our shows this year anyway as many of us don't dare to start changing software at the last minute when it comes to major changes to the code. Anyway, give them a break...it'll come when its ready.