Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR or Xlights? I prefer LOR

ezimnow

So with the strong possibility of LOR releasing new software to allow for a higher channel count I would really like to stay with LOR and SS.For confirmation just in case the Software is released "later than sooner" running a 12 LEG 50 cnt (WS2811) 1800 channel tree off a ECG p12 R controller on the E131 side in addition to running 6-10 controllers plus a 6CCR ribbon tree on the USB 485 side.. LOR as it stands today can handle that?

I'm just a little leary of setting up all my LOR controllers and CCR ribbons in Xlights so wanted to keep it all together and of course I'm very comfortable with LOR. I use Nutcracker for adding effects to my RGB tree and then push it back to LOR. SS for my CCR tree. I guess it won't even be a question when the new software comes out but "just in case" I wanted to know so I can spend time learning how to move everyting to Xlights if I have to.

Thanks

EZ

FWIW... I ran about 300 LOR channels (no CCRs) last year. Along with about 4,100 pixels (spread over 32 universes) of e1.31 traffic. No problems here, but I was running on a beefy intel i7 with 24GB of RAM on my show computer. Sequencing was no fun when I had all 12,000+ channels loaded into the configuration, but I managed.

• Like 1

I ran a bit over 6K channels of RGB on E1.31 and 70 channels LOR, with no problems whatsoever. If you're using the 500K Network speed on your LOR side, there should be no problems for you. This year, I'll be over 10K channels, all RGB.

If you're still leary, there are some tips here: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/30960-6-tips-for-large-channel-count-sequencing/#entry285321 that Andy put together and it's some really good info after his post too. You should be fine, even if the updates come Later rather than Sooner

Thanks Boys....I'll check those updates from Andy....RGB is like using LOR all over again for the 1st time, its renewed my enthusiasim! Now on to the prop building stage and updating my sequences.

Thanks again

EZ

I use both.

Xlights for generic effects that work all over my Plasma Icicles (3300 ch).  Stuff like chases, snow fall, and fire and things that repeat will. 

I import the xlights to LOR via a clipboard and drop it on the time line as needed. I run the Icicles via E1.31.

I use S3 when I need accurate beat hits or timing of specific patterns.

I use the S3 to run all the LOR network controllers and the E1.31. 

• Like 1

Plasma and Aaron you guys have some videos to check out? I've seen Ron's vids and I'm sure he has inspired a few RGB newbies like myself. I'm on FB but nothing as far as RGB yet, but this year will be much different...

Here is one that has not been edited yet.. we took 4 angles for future editing.. sorry but I have never gotten to the future editing part..  But the Icicles on the house are 3300 ch, the windows are 96 ch and the yard and stuff is another few hundred. 

• Like 2

The future editing....now there is no time!!!!...anyway looks great.

Thanks.. and you are right.. no time!!   LOL.

I am uploading a couple more that I forgot to do.. same thing, 4 cameras.. too small but someday I will edit them!   I think...   hee hee

one more..  for some reason Vimeo seems to have caused an audio delay of a few milliseconds. 

Aaron, I am making mini pixel trees this year.. did you program those with LOR of xlights or both?

Edited by plasmadrive

Aaron, I am making mini pixel trees this year.. did you program those with LOR of xlights or both?

All my pixels were programmed in xlights and copied and pasted into LOR. I ran the show with LOR as well.

• 5 months later...

I need advice in using LOR this year to run my show (originally planning on changing to xLights, but no time). I ran 1200 RGB Pixels last year and will add 1200 more this year by adding another E682.

Last year, this is how I ran my 1200RGB pixels in LOR:

1. Create effects in xLights and do a convert to LOR.
2. Add a separate channel to original LOR file for a "sub sequence" that points to the newly converted xLights (to LOR) file.
3. Used Vegomatic to create RGB channels within LOR for the newly converted xLights (to LOR) file.

I did the separate subsequence file because it would be easier if I need to modify the xLights effects (rather than copying into the original LOR file) every time.

Sometimes last year, when the (newly modified) sequence would first play for the night, the RGB effects would not play, but all the other LOR channels would. All subsequent plays of that sequence would be successful.

Is this a bad way in adding xLights/large RGB pixels into an LOR-run show?

FYI, original LOR sequence files range in size up to 6MB each.  xLights converted sequence LOR files range in size up to 357MB each.  Now if I add up my entire show of 26 sequences, the original LOR sequences total 71MB.  If I add up my entire show of xLights converted LOR sequences, they total 2.33GB.

Edited by stanward