Light-O-Rama Forums

Channel Won't Turn Off.

James Shelby

I've got one for you, I had one channel that would not turn all the way off, I was told to update the firmware so I did and that fixed that problem. Now I have three boxes out of fourteen, that have channels that get stuck on at points in the song or they shimmer sometimes but by the end of the song they go off. Playing the same song different channels get stuck at different times. Can anyone give me some help.

Guest wbottomley

James Shelby wrote:

I've got one for you, I had one channel that would not turn all the way off, I was told to update the firmware so I did and that fixed that problem. Now I have three boxes out of fourteen, that have channels that get stuck on at points in the song or they shimmer sometimes but by the end of the song they go off. Playing the same song different channels get stuck at different times. Can anyone give me some help.

Have you tried updating the firmware in all?

James Shelby wrote:

James,

To me that sounds like a possible communications problem. How long is your network of cables and what type of connections to you have at the PC: SC485, USB485, USB485B.? What is the distance from the PC to the first controller?

Dan
It worked fine on these three controllers until I updated all 14 to the latest firmware. I have 14 controllers with 350 feet from PC to controller #1, 100 feet between 1 and 2, 2 and 3, 3 and 4, 4 and 5, 5 and OE, 3 feet between OE and 6, 6 and 7, 50 feet between 7 and 8, 3 feet between 8 and 9, 9 and OD, 150 feet between OD and OA, 100 feet between OA and OB, OB and OC. total footage is 1262 of Cat5.
The problem is with boxes 1, 2, and 3, these are the oldest boxes. The firmware was Ver 2.0.
Boxes OA, OB, and OC are perfect, right on the mark, every note and these three are at the end of the run.

James,

If you have version 2 of the firmware and they seem to have been changed by a firmware update then go back to version 2 on one of the controllers and see if it makes a difference.

Dan

I don't have that computer with me, when I downloaded ver4 did it I keep a copy of ver2 or should I say where do I get a copy of ver2 or ver3. Also what started all this was controller #2 channel #15 would not turn off completely and it stayed on all the time, even with the computer disconnected. This new problem only happens when the sequences are running. When the sequence is running it will work fine for a bit then it will hang then it will go back to being OK then hang and so on. When the sequence is ran again it will do the same thing but at different times on different channels. After the sequence is over all the channels turn off. Like I said it worked fine before I just had that problem with controller 2 and now channel 15 goes off after the sequence is over.

James Shelby wrote:

I don't have that computer with me, when I downloaded ver4 did it I keep a copy of ver2 or should I say where do I get a copy of ver2 or ver3. Also what started all this was controller #2 channel #15 would not turn off completely and it stayed on all the time, even with the computer disconnected. This new problem only happens when the sequences are running. When the sequence is running it will work fine for a bit then it will hang then it will go back to being OK then hang and so on. When the sequence is ran again it will do the same thing but at different times on different channels. After the sequence is over all the channels turn off. Like I said it worked fine before I just had that problem with controller 2 and now channel 15 goes off after the sequence is over.

I will dig up a copy of the firware (what color cards do you have green or blue). I am not all to certian that it is a problem with the firmware but did suggest it because it appeared to start when you did a upgrade.

A couple other questions:

What version of LOR software are you using? What type of lights are connected to these controllers?

It still sounds like a communications problem to me. Please try the following trouble shooting. Boxes 1, 2 and 3 are the problem and they are the first 3 in the chain. Unplug the cable that goes between boxes 1 and 2 (unplug it at box 2). See if this makes any difference in performance of those box 1. If that helps then repeat the procedure with box 2 (remove the wire that goes to box 3 from box 2)....

The fact that the end boxes do work does not mean that there is not a problem with communications.

Dan

Everyone knows I don't know squat about stuff. However, I think we overlooked something that could lead to the communication problem.

If I remember correctly, the first run from PC to first controller must not exceed 100 feet. I think you stated your first run was 350 feet. If so then that might explain the problem and maybe the firmware just made it a little more sensitive or what ever.

Hope this helps.

Robin, I think this is what your talking about. I read it too.

What is the maximum distance allowed between controllers?
The connection from the PC to the first controller must be under 100 feet. After that the total distance (total of cable lengths between all controllers) can be 2000 - 4000 feet, depending on the cable type. You can run standard phone cable between controllers, however, CAT5E cable will give you much further reach.

The hardware software is 1.6.6 and the LOR software is 1.6.1, I have blue boards 4.01. The lights are mini's 7360 each on these three controllers. Now that we are on the topic of distance, I know I had right footage information when I laid this out or I would not have built it this way and I'm sure I got it from Dan but I don't remember what it was. I did change my network settings for the longest distance, there was a bit of a lag before that but it worked perfect after that. What is this "reset the address to 0-0" I've read abought? I'm going to troubleshoot using your method and then I will reupgrade each box again isolated from the other boxes, power down then put it back together again. This display will be on the news 7:10am Wednesday morning, then lightup will be on the same news station at 6:00, http://kotv.com/. I really need to get this bug worked out before then, please. In this photo the problem is with the trees going left to right, tree number one on the left is not in the photo, so it starts with tree number 2, each tree has 8 channels so see it must look perfect to look good. That is a walk bridge on the far right with 50,000 mini's.

Attached files 142990=8486-DSC03321.JPG

James,
Take the controller in question.
Unplug it. Set both of your dials to 0 then plug back in for about 20 seconds. Then unplug and reset to your correct number. Plug back in and hook it up and see what ya get>

Good luck.

Oh I will tell you last year when I ran the hardware utility it never saw my mega tree. But it always worked when the show started.

I have one laptop were we can't get the hardware utility to work at all but it will work with the editor. Real pain.

Using the Hardware Utility, have you tested each controller individually?
Try using the "Chase Sequence" one controller at a time and check that each channel goes on and off properly. That should show that the data line is working properly between the computer and various controllers.

What I'm trying to rule out is the possibility that two or more channels are assigned to the same "circuit" in the Sequence Editor. That's a far reach but it has happened before.

Good Luck!

Thanks Chuck, I knew I was right I got the USB485B's for that very reson, it's a long way to a dry place to put the PC and sound amp.
Well John I have see that problem too but this problem happens on different songs at different times. A song will run fine this time but next time it's trashed.

James,

After reading several post about the same type issues. I think you have noise being induce on the comm line. Recently one user ultimately narrowed the noise in his set up to be a CF compact floresent) lamp in a newly added sign.

Are your comm cable home made or purchased? If home made did you maintain the pairs? I have seen people that will make network cables incorrectly.

Just some additional thoughts.

Chuck

Chuck
I have my comm cable made up with a RJ45 wall plate on both ends. I did this so I could disconnect box #1 from the main run, to move my laptop closer to the display for troubleshooting. The home run is underground in a two inch pipe 300 feet long with the speaker cable, mic cable, cat5 cable for a computer, and my cat5 run for the LOR. Our IT department built all the connections and all my short runs are premade cables.

OK I've reloaded the firmware and reset the boxes with the 0-0 address, I've tested it with my laptop next to the display not on the home run and it works great. Chuck you've got me thinking, within 6 feet of my underground run is a 500kva transformer. I've reconnected my home run and we will see what happens now. If I have the problem we know it's the inductance from the transformer and I'll move my home run. Thanks for the idea.