Light-O-Rama Forums
cpj2008

Wow This Is Harder Than It Looks

My system was 7 controllers last year and I only used one outlet, however, I'm probably %90 LED. This coming season, I'm adding RGB both smart and dumb pixels/strips plus possibly the two more conrollers that I have acquired so I'll have to consume another power circuit.

Edited by dgrant

Wow! That is a lot of channels to start with. I have to admit that I did not read all of the replies but did some and skimmed all. 

One reply mentioned keeping lights in groups of 4 - SO IMPORTANT.  See the LOR suggested layout for an example. 

Use the Visualizer... 

Be sure you are familiar with their channel layout. I used theirs my first year and it critical to my set up. 

8 controllers will require 16 outlets... suggest you check out your load center and make sure you got the amps available and, of course, the outlets. Each of my controller's power inputs are separate circuits.This required adding a sub-panel and a 60 AMP breaker. 

Maybe true for you. I use LEDs and very little power I use my 2 outside plugs (and a whole lot of spliters) plus one more running out of the basement and I have a few more than eight controllers.

I've got receptacles all around the property - 12 20A circuits plus 3 more in the garage - from back in the static/incandescent days. We've switched over to 95% (or more) LEDs. Now it's simply a matter of which receptacle is closest to the controller. I haven't even used my Kill-A-Watt in last two decorating seasons. :)

• Like 1

I went back and read 99% of the replies to this post. Most everyone,  if not all, have way more experience than I do. So, listen to them. I do agree with all that said "go LED".  

As for power requirements, I was making some guestimates based on the number of icans he has. 20,000 icans are going to draw some serious power. Again,  assuming that he uses all 8 controllers and all 20K lights. 

I reviewed my post after just reading (a little late) PaulXmas' reply.  I have not taken into account the actual load, just the potential load.  So I retract my calculations of having 16 separate circuits as it was on the high side; assuming only a percentage of lights lit at a given moment in time. 

Here's a suggestion, which hopefully isn't already available and I couldn't find it, for LOR to add to S3 or S4 - total number of channels set to some level of on at any given time. 

Enough of this diatribe... go make lights dance, have fun, reset breakers as necessary... 

The title of this thread is exactly what I am experiencing.  I "thought" that I would buy my two units so I had 32 channels, use some free sequences for 32 channels, and everything would be good.  Then next year, I could spend more time on customizing the sequences for my display.  Then, I find that I have to have my hip replaced on 11/10th so all my lights need to be up by then and plugged in.

Crap now what am I going to do.  With my sons help, I can get all the lights up by next weekend, but then I have to work on the shows.  Pain meds and shows do not seem to mix very well...or maybe they will.  I guess I will find out.

My point being is that just finding a sequence that says 32 channels is not always true nor does it work well with my light display.  Everything needs tweaking to some degree from what I can see.  Am I mistaken?

You are correct. No two displays are the same therefore channel usage is never the same. When obtaining other's sequences, you always have to customize to your display, wishes and expectations. Its not a plug and play hobby but on the positive side of things, you get to create your ideas, in lights to music. Simply put, we all become artists in one form or another.

Sorry to hear about the hip replacement coming fast, but it will allow you time to work on the sequences to make them your own...between pain meds. Now I've never had a replacement done so I don't have a clue if you can sit at a computer for long periods of time or not. Hope you'll be able too and best wishes for a fast recovery.

You are correct. No two displays are the same therefore channel usage is never the same. When obtaining other's sequences, you always have to customize to your display, wishes and expectations. Its not a plug and play hobby but on the positive side of things, you get to create your ideas, in lights to music. Simply put, we all become artists in one form or another.

Sorry to hear about the hip replacement coming fast, but it will allow you time to work on the sequences to make them your own...between pain meds. Now I've never had a replacement done so I don't have a clue if you can sit at a computer for long periods of time or not. Hope you'll be able too and best wishes for a fast recovery.

This is my second hip replacement (did my right and now my left), and I am doing earlier than later since the pain I endured last time was incredible.  If all goes well, I can sit and work on this.  Thanks for confirmation of what I thought.

I've used a few sequences created by others. I usually load up visualizer on one monitor, load the sequence on the other monitor ( having two monitors is a godsend), and my channel config and watch the entire thing. Sometimes things just "work out" and what doesn't look good gets copy and pasted to other channels, or completely changed.

I can't imagine starting with 8 controllers.  I just started with this sickness for Halloween on my first controller and I was a bit overwhelmed by the software choices, what it all means and creating vs. modifying sequences.  I am just barely debating on adding an RGB element which I am awaiting sound advice from this awesome community.  8?  Wow.  All the more power to you.  Baby steps for me.

I can't imagine starting with 8 controllers.  I just started with this sickness for Halloween on my first controller and I was a bit overwhelmed by the software choices, what it all means and creating vs. modifying sequences.  I am just barely debating on adding an RGB element which I am awaiting sound advice from this awesome community.  8?  Wow.  All the more power to you.  Baby steps for me.

I'm with you.  This is my first year (starting with 2 controllers) and i'm going to be right up against it to get everything done and set up in time for December.  I originally had dreams of doubling my controllers next year, but I'm now thinking I'll only add one more.