Light-O-Rama Forums

Year 2, and so it begins. The RGB adventure.. maybe?

sticks4legs

Well after what I felt was a successful first year I'm hooked.  Not even April 1st and i want to get started on next year to avoid the late mad dash I had last year. Its snowing today (ugh, March 26th snow) so I guess its fitting.

In starting to plan for next year and I'm stuck with whether to continue with classic AC controllers and LED lights or make the jump into RGB. Both seem to have their pro's and cons.  My biggest concern being future proofing myself.

1 . Considering dumb RGB strips for the second level upper eaves.  Putting up and taking down bulbs every year is a nightmare.  (insert boom truck required)Thoughts? Anyone done or seen combined RGB strips and C9 bulbs before?  Odd look?

2. Arches - I think this is where I will need the biggest insight from the experienced folk.  I'm thinking of starting with 2 arches.  My first instinct was to use one CCR and split into 2 arches.  I've played with it in superstar and was able to sequence them albeit rather basic so far.

- Should I be considering CCP's?  One CCP to assemble 2 or 4 arches?

- Should I be considering DMX and ordering in the parts.  Looks to be a cheaper option with some DIY time on the controller but I'm concerned that trying to incorporate it on year 2 might be a big jump

Thoughts, opinions, links are always welcome.

Putting up and taking down bulbs every year is a nightmare.  (insert boom truck required)Thoughts? Anyone done or seen combined RGB strips and C9 bulbs before?  Odd look?

Thoughts, opinions, links are always welcome.

Just my opinion and thoughts............. I do understand the old time look of  the C9 bulbs, but with that said, I don't think it makes any difference to the viewer what  bulb type is used. My method of  mounting lights can be seen here.  I am leaving them up all year.   Time will tell how this works out.  I will proclaim myself a big fan of CCPs - though pricey.

I do use CCRs for arches and would recommend you investigate using CCP as an alternative. I am considering replacing with CCP installed in PEX piping.  CCRs are just to fragile.

Steve

Edited by steve synek

Thats a similar method I was thinking with pipe.  The siding route is a nice color match

Steve,

Have you given thought to putting the CCR inside of the PEX tubing? I dont have the CCR but do have smart strips from Ray Wu and I put them with the silicone cleave inside of 3/4" Pex tubing.

Steve,

Have you given thought to putting the CCR inside of the PEX tubing? I dont have the CCR but do have smart strips from Ray Wu and I put them with the silicone cleave inside of 3/4" Pex tubing.

Thats where my head, or should I say eyes, have spent the last couple days. Lots of good posts and responses all over the forums about this both for arches and eaves/

I think I have decided to go with CCP for my arches..a straight 10-12 foot PEX pipe arched up with pixels drilled into the back(maybe bottom) at about 2.5-3" spacing. I was going to do CCR in the PEX but I see alot of posts about CCR's being 'fragile'.  Trying to pull it through two arches, mounting, and the pivot point between the two arches got me a little too gun-shy.

As for the eaves I read a TON about dumb and smart strips, Ray Wu, E682 and E1.31, DMX, Etc.  (some of this stemmed from over thinking the arches as well).  After all that reading I'm thinking as its only year 2 I should stick in the LOR protocol and environment.  Work smarter this year not harder and learn all the new stuff.

If the arches work out as I plan...hahaha. I will move on to the eaves wth dumb RGB and 16 channel DC boards from LOR.  That in itself will be a challenge as some runs on my eaves are 50-60+ feet .  Somedays good old AC LED bulbs plugged in together might just work as old relieable

Max Paul

I don't know why but I can't use the quote feature.....your texts doesn't show up when I try.......Internet explore and this web site  problem I think.........but I have thought about putting the CCR in pex, but the issue is I have two arches out of one ribbon.  I don't want to cut the ribbon to make two arches and void the warranty. Also I don't want the hassle of storing one big piece of pex in the off season. I imagine the ribbon would kink trying to bend the pex into two arches.

Steve

Great video, Steve!

How did you run your old LEDs in conduit? Is it open on the backside?

aegault

Thanks for compliment.  Are you talking about the M5 LED's that were on my house?   For those, I just ran the PVC through my table saw and cut the slot. Than I made  a small tool to spread the conduit and stick the wire inside. It was a very slow process. I found taking most of the twist out of the wires very helpfully. If you look at the link below my name -pictures- look at the pics for Just a tree-  it show how I did it.

(different computer and the quote feature works.........................different version of IE...........sure wish this wasn't an issue!!!)

Steve

Edited by steve synek