Light-O-Rama Forums

16 channels = 16 different lighting areas?

aegault

So haven't bought anything yet, but trying to figure out how to wire up the lighting after it LEAVES the 16 channel controller.

I saw some description in the sequence store that talked about 16 channels divided into 4 similar groups ie 4 windows, 4 roof lights, 4 columns, 4 trees-

So what I'm asking is can I control 16 different items? So if I daisy chain my downstairs window light surrounds all together, I can make that 1 channel? then the upstairs windows will be a 2nd channel? then my roof will be channel 3 etc?

Thanks in advance!

Yep something like that. It all depends on how you want to make the lights flash. Now I would put each window on its own circuit and then I could make the windows light up in a chase. Across the top left to right and then across the bottom right to left. Or bounce from the bottom to the top and then back down to a different window. What ever you can dream up and then do it to music. Course this being your first year I understand that only enough funds for one controller would limit you to doing the bottom as a group and the top as a group. That along with the roof as you point out is just 3 channels, leaving you with 13 more things you can put lights on. But you have the gist of it.

One thing to remember, You don't want to overload the controller with to many lights especially if your using Incans, it's easy to get carried away.........If it were me I would look into LED lights and not have to worry to much about that.  

You can use a ton more leds than incans, especially if your thinking of using C9 incans bulbs.  Also to be on the safe side I would get a Kill-o-watt meter to check the wattage I could be wrong but If I remember correctly each channel can do about 1 1/2 amps . You can pick them up almost anywhere for around $15-$20.

So haven't bought anything yet, but trying to figure out how to wire up the lighting after it LEAVES the 16 channel controller.

I saw some description in the sequence store that talked about 16 channels divided into 4 similar groups ie 4 windows, 4 roof lights, 4 columns, 4 trees-

So what I'm asking is can I control 16 different items? So if I daisy chain my downstairs window light surrounds all together, I can make that 1 channel? then the upstairs windows will be a 2nd channel? then my roof will be channel 3 etc?

Thanks in advance!

That is what Lor calls 4x4, then Lor adds another controller for two arches, then they add one more controller for 4 mini trees 4 colours. Hence their sequences contain 16, 32, or 48 channels. So if you buy one of their sequences it will run 16 channels, & if you add another controller then that sequence well run 2 arches, if you add 1 more controller for the mini trees then that same sequence will run them as well.

However you could use all 16 channels on 16 different display items.  Not sure how that would look though.

Watch your current per channel, total current per 8-channel bank, and total current.

8 amps per channel max, but if you run two channels at 8 amps full on, you'd exceed the 8-channel bank limitation of 15 amps.

If you plug both banks into a single 20 amp circuit, you could have 3 4 amps channels going on both banks, and be OK within the controller, but exceed the 20 amps circuit limit by 4 amps.

Plus, it's a good idea to keep total draw at 80% or less of maximim rating.

It's best if you can run LED strings but incansdescent are so much lower priced.

With 16 channels, it's unlikely you'll be running leaping arches (channel hogs) or megatrees with multiple slices.  But you can be creative and have it look good.

Before I bought my first LOR controller, I did a fair amount of coverage with an older model Mr. Christmas Lights and Sounds of Christmas device - 6 channels, all on/off only.  I lit up 9 bushes (outer 3 on each end were  wired together, 12 candy canes (2 on each channel) , and 6 snowflakes (one on each channel, along with the 2 candy canes on each channel, and 1 or 2 bushes on each channel).  Because each of the "effects" weren't next to each other, it looked good.  Took a lot of extension cords, though.

Thanks everyone!  We have a GE Deluxe plug/play "stupid" device that we love (except for the lame-o music). Unfortunately after 5+ years it's dying and my very handy hubby doesn't think it's worth resurrecting (issue with the sound board we are pretty sure) plus we are in a serious competition with the across the street neighbor ;) and think this is a great next step in the war.

We run about 60% LED right now and each strand we replace is typically replaced with LED. None of the big C7 or C9 incans anymore at all. Great advice on not overloading the channels/box etc.

My biggest concern with the 16channel is we added a beautiful handmade 4' star with 5-6 strands of swooping, trailing lights last year and I want to control the star + each strand as it's own channel so that's taking up 6-8 channels right there.

That only leaves me with 8 channels to do the rest of the house with (unless we decide to dig deeper into the pocket book for a 2nd controller right now). 

The elements we currently have are windows/doors 2 stories, 2 roof lines, walkway, bushes, mailbox and then 2 separate scenes of trees/animals etc in the yard.

If I kept the star at 7 channels it's probably doable.

My thought is get either the starter package or the showtime (REALLY want the showtime!) and then add on another controller next year (and the year after add more cool stuff etc).

Any other suggestions?

Change of subject: what goodies are 'typically' on the sale coming up? Do they have the big stuff on sale (very limited quantities on everything I understand) or is it more likely to be individual pieces?

The spring sale is April 2nd where you can save money to buy the controller(s). Most of us started small and suddenly found that 16 channels wasn't enough. I decided to start big and went with 96 channels and I used every one of them. Last year was 112 channels. This coming season, I'm going into RGB dumb strips for the windows and will create my first pixel tree using smart led pixels. Megatrees are very nice indeed but they are high-channel-count items, along with arches. If you haven't already, look at a bunch of the videos that have been posted of what has and can be done, then buffer the checkbook against the sale prices coming up shortly. I'd suggest the 16 channel residential controller that needs only partial assembly. Its easy and fast as well as saving you more money.

Don't forget the correct license level. Mostly we all start out with the advanced so there's no worries after. Here is the link for the sale coming up fast.

http://store.lightorama.com/secretsale.html

Edited by dgrant

Thanks everyone!  We have a GE Deluxe plug/play "stupid" device that we love (except for the lame-o music). Unfortunately after 5+ years it's dying and my very handy hubby doesn't think it's worth resurrecting (issue with the sound board we are pretty sure) plus we are in a serious competition with the across the street neighbor ;) and think this is a great next step in the war.

We run about 60% LED right now and each strand we replace is typically replaced with LED. None of the big C7 or C9 incans anymore at all. Great advice on not overloading the channels/box etc.

My biggest concern with the 16channel is we added a beautiful handmade 4' star with 5-6 strands of swooping, trailing lights last year and I want to control the star + each strand as it's own channel so that's taking up 6-8 channels right there.

That only leaves me with 8 channels to do the rest of the house with (unless we decide to dig deeper into the pocket book for a 2nd controller right now). 

The elements we currently have are windows/doors 2 stories, 2 roof lines, walkway, bushes, mailbox and then 2 separate scenes of trees/animals etc in the yard.

If I kept the star at 7 channels it's probably doable.

My thought is get either the starter package or the showtime (REALLY want the showtime!) and then add on another controller next year (and the year after add more cool stuff etc).

Any other suggestions?

Change of subject: what goodies are 'typically' on the sale coming up? Do they have the big stuff on sale (very limited quantities on everything I understand) or is it more likely to be individual pieces?

Just take out a second mortgage :lol:

If you have been reading the forums you have heard as to how addicting this hobby (obsession) can be......this was my 3rd year I started out with 32 channels and now i'm at 224 channels. Now checking out RGB Pixels..I've gone over the edge!

Edited by gmac

Ooh thanks! I didn't see the link to the items themselves.

I'm going to aim for the showtime central starter package with an additional 16 channel controller assembly required so that would give me 32 channels to start.

I'm confused about the license level- what does it really  mean? If I'm at 16-32 channels (with no RGB or CCP right now) do I need anything more than the basic to start?

The showtime package comes withe the basic level license it seems.

What about if we want to make our own electrical cords to run all this? What gauge can we use? Something lightweight like 18ga?

Also- I have signed up via 2 emails addy and not getting anything; anyone else have this trouble?

Edited by aegault

Here's a link that explains the different software versions http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-suite-software/

Basic license will so 2 controllers or 32 channels.... IMO the better option,  you might want to look at their Basic/Plus it will let you control 4 controllers and has a few more options.

If you are going to get into the hobby full blast as such, might as well go straight to the advanced license. But get whatever works for your current plans and checkbook. You can always upgrade later.

I want to make sure I've got this right.

My star with 5 swooping light strands could be set up as 6 individual channels. This would then allow me to light each strand or the star individually to the music, correct? (or of course any combo of the strands/star)

Also- does anyone make their own extension cords? What gauge? For the star alone I'm talking about 6 individual cords back to the controller, right?

Edited by aegault

yes, your talking about 6 extension cord.

do some searches for Zip cord

Lamp cord, SPT-1 or 2

Vampire plugs

these are all terms used to talk about the stuff used to make your own extension cord. im my opinion its the best route to go will save you a lot

yes, your talking about 6 extension cord.

do some searches for Zip cord

Lamp cord, SPT-1 or 2

Vampire plugs

these are all terms used to talk about the stuff used to make your own extension cord. im my opinion its the best route to go will save you a lot

Yes, I buy bulk green lampcord from Ace Harware with vampire plugs, hint, I cut a notch in the end plugs so that I can daisy chain them with other lights along the length