Light-O-Rama Forums

Using Butt conectors

sonoma

I was wondering if any one has used butt connectors for there RGB strip lighting instead of all the solder connections.

I have tried this in tests but I don't know how they would hold up in the weather and the set-up and tear down every year.

Pretty susceptible to corrosion internally.  If you use non conductive electrical grease maybe ok, (same it true with most crimp type connectors).  But connectors however are a bit unique in the construction... water can really stay in there a long time.  They work on cars, but the wires don't like flexing.  Something with a bit of strain relief would be good as well.

Cause you mentioned tear down also. I think you would be much happier with something like this, http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/10pcs-lot-4-Core-BLACK-Waterproof-pigtail-20cm-long-each-male-and-female-male-connector-s/701799_1019853477.html Most of us use something like this, instead of butt splices between our pixel strings. And connecting to the controllers.

Cause you mentioned tear down also. I think you would be much happier with something like this, http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/10pcs-lot-4-Core-BLACK-Waterproof-pigtail-20cm-long-each-male-and-female-male-connector-s/701799_1019853477.html Most of us use something like this, instead of butt splices between our pixel strings. And connecting to the controllers.

If you use these, make sure and do a continuity test with your meter to make sure the wires are right. I ran into this problem last year.

Triple what Ron said and Max-Paul.  The wires on just one of my plugs were off by one location as you went around the female plug end.  Use your meter.