Light-O-Rama Forums

Any Talk about S3-2014 Release date ?

a31ford

Has anyone heard about a tentative release date for the LOR ".net" 2014 software suite ?

I understand that Dan has only recently spoke about it being ready for "this season" (assuming well before 1-4 July), (1 for me, being in Canada).

I have a chance to do a Canada Day (July 1) show, and was hoping to use the new software, so I would ALSO need time to program.....

Greg

If I had to guess on when the software would be released, I'd put it at 10/17/14. 

If you can do the Canada Day show with the current software, I would plan on doing so. I would also suggest programming with the current version of software (as best you can.) I think waiting on the software to be released would not be in your favor.

I very much hope I'm wrong about this ...

• Like 1

Has anyone heard about a tentative release date for the LOR ".net" 2014 software suite ?

I understand that Dan has only recently spoke about it being ready for "this season" (assuming well before 1-4 July), (1 for me, being in Canada).

I have a chance to do a Canada Day (July 1) show, and was hoping to use the new software, so I would ALSO need time to program.....

Greg

I certainly hope, for Dan's sake (and your reputation), you are are joking.  Sadly, I don't think you are. 

And I am sure you will "take offense" by me pointing out a few of your recent posts for why I say such things (read below for your words, not mine).  However, to answer you question, I highly doubt that Dan meant "this season" to mean this Winter or Spring, but rather "this 2014 Christmas season."

I would like to add that software sometimes is the "saving grace" on a company's bottom line (as in the software is WHAT makes the hardware sell, (Ironical that the personal PC is (for the most part) based on Microsoft's software contribution to humanity (whether we like it or not), With that said, IF  I was Dan, I would NOT get into details until the software was ACTUALLY functional, so a light said "2 weeks" (thinking of Arnold/S in the mars movie lol) you know where the mask head comes off....... ANYHOW, it could take 2 or 3 MONTHS before something appears.

The ONE thing I DO KNOW..... IF Dan has spoken, it WILL happen, the only question is when, NOT IF......

Give him time to get them to write it !!!!!!!!

Greg

Jerry, Awh, I wouldn't "poke the lion" at the moment, "no news is good news" (so I'm told), keep your panties on, etc, etc, etc, etc, When Dan is ready He will speak.

Rome (and software) where NOT built in a day.... A major release can NOT be held to a time line, when he (they) are ready I'm QUITE SURE, we will be the FIRST to know...

Nudge, nudge Dan, THAT was a direct hint to post the news HERE first....................................

Greg :)

I DO understand the "wanting to know" feeling (I have it myself), However, knowing what I know about software (and the programming of it)  I'll say this.

"Much of the problem for knowing what will be available, is in fact, the inherent problem in writing software. (You can't say what will work until you make it work, so if it doesn't work OR there is a big bug in it (a certain option lets say), it's better to say quite until it works CORRECTLY.............)", as it might turn out that "that certain option" simply is not workable.

Greg

Edited by Surfing4Dough

Surfing4dough..

We are simply going to have to NOT get along, in order to get along.

I have no idea why you would attempt such a brash "shutdown" I'm not asking "What is in it", simply trying to get a handle on a tentative release date.

My reputation is solid, what you think of it is irrelevant.

Greg

Edited by a31ford

If I had to guess on when the software would be released, I'd put it at 10/17/14. 

If you can do the Canada Day show with the current software, I would plan on doing so. I would also suggest programming with the current version of software (as best you can.) I think waiting on the software to be released would not be in your favor.

I very much hope I'm wrong about this ...

Don, thanks for the "educated guess"  I know I'm asking a lot,  and indeed I'm working for current software (still do not have the gig as yet)  to support the show.

I'm quite sure I'm chomping at the bit as hard as the rest of us.

I might have been premature at the inquiry, but sooner than later someone else would have asked the question anyhow....

Thanks for the positive thoughts !

Greg

Unless we start a pool and put some money on it, I wouldn't venture a guess. I personally am moving forward with what I have and if you take advantage of all the tips and tricks that are available to you, what we have works pretty good.

• Like 2

Doesn't Dan usually put it out for Beta testing first?  That in itself could take awhile. 

• Like 1

Alas, Doug, I think I will have to do the same (Tentative).

The Idea was to use the buildings network to run the controllers as the building is quite wide and the show is IN the windows, NOT outside. Getting from office to office might kill the project.

Plasma, 

This was actually what I was hoping for, was to get my teeth into a beta before April 2nd (my final upgrade date).

Greg

Based on the statement given, I would not expect anything early enough for you to use in July.

FIRST, it has to be migrated to current tools (this will take a while and resources, but won't add much in the way of functions).

Then, they will begin incorporating some of the newer features that are planned. Then, a lot if testing, bug fixes, etc. I don't honestly expect much before the fall, and even then, I'm not sure just how much of that roadmap can be written, tested, and rolled out by then.

Of course, I hope to be wrong and encourage them in their work.