Light-O-Rama Forums

Rainy Pixel Clip Kickstarter Project is LIVE!

rainyoregonchristmas

It's been nearly a year but we did it!  Our kickstarter project website is now live.  We're now fundraising to build the Rainy Pixel Clips. 

Check out our project at : http://kck.st/1fz8tjs

Remember, this type of funding is ALL or NOTHING.  We will need to raise $25,000 to make this project go.  In accordance to Kickstarter.com rules, if the funding is short, if even by $1.00 the project does not fund, and does not go forward.  So we need your support.  If you want Rainy Pixel Clips, you need to support us and our project.  The best part, is in fund raising with us, you get the pixels shipped to you at cost.  Right now if you pledge $75 or more they are set at $0.15 each WITH shipping included.  After the project is completed they will still be available, but they will be $0.15 each, with shipping not included.  So joining us now is a savings to you.

So help us out, and save your fingers from zip ties.

-Matt

AKA RainyOregonchriStmaS

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your support!!! 

So that you all know, we're at about 3% of our funding goal.  So we really need to kick it up a notch.  But rest assured, if I am working on some things behind the scenes that should help out greatly.  I can't mention what it is right now, but it should be a happy outcome for all involved.  Details will be posted when things are ironed out.  But in the mean time lets keep this going!

-Matt

AKA RainyOregonchriStmaS

I will make sure one way or another we will get clips to Canada and other countries too!

Depending on the outcome of some things this next week I will let everyone know how that will happen. 

Yes, I know, I'm being vague on purpose.  More news will come soon enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I still need your support to make this happen.  Remember if you don't contribute, this won't happen.  If you wait until the Kickstarter project ends, that's too late.  So if you have a banding strap styled tree and plan to use bullet shaped pixels, this project is for you!!!  In fact if you want to use bullet shaped pixels in just about any element, this will help.  So hop on Kickstarter.com and contribute,  you get pixel clips back for your support too!!!

Since there are only a few days left and only 1/25th of the way there, it doesn't look like the Kickstarter project will happen. What now? I was really looking forward to these clips. Any news on the other material you mentioned?

Ron,

I too have to admit, I strongly doubt that we will be able to raise the remaining $23,900 in less than a week.  It's been a hard push which is confusing since I had received A LOT of support prior to starting the project with people stating that they would buy these by the thousands.  But when the time came, many of them vanished.

On March 5th there will be an article in my town's local paper, but I wouldn't expect that to raise more than a few hundred dollars.  Unless there is some crazy Christmas minded investor in town that I don't know about. 

So where am I going from here?

Well, I'm not going to give up.  I've checked back in with my plastic injection shop and spoke to them about doing a short run for testing and demonstration purposes with a test mold.  I think a small supply of clips out of the real materials rather than printed clips are necessary for the next step, proving the system works and procuring a large vendor.  I've spoken to some potential vendors about carrying the clips in their online stores, one even offered to become my exclusive vendor.  But none of those have panned out yet.  I will be checking back with them after the Kickstarter project ends to see where we will go from there. 

The idea of procuring a vendor is that the clips can be sold as just a clip, or  as a part of a system with LED's, pixel controllers, and supporting elements such as mini or mega trees.  Basically it would become a plug and play pixel element.  With picking up a vendor and creating a complete system it would also allow for RGB sequences to be standardized to the specific element and easier to share or purchase. 

So long story short, I'm not giving up.  I will continue to pursue the production of this clip and I will keep this thread updated as new developments occur. 

BTW, if any of you are fellow vendors reading this, and you'd like to work with me bring this clip to market, please send me a PM.

-Matt Ross

AKA  RainyOregonchriStmaS

Dear Fellow Light Nuts!

It is with a great amount of sadness I concede that the Rainy Pixel Banding Clip Kickstarter project will not meet our funding goal.  There is less than 24 hours to go and our funding amount has not moved in a week or so.  Does this mean this project will die?  By no means.  I have already begun working with a mold shop on "Short Run" mold that will produce a very limited amount of clips.  (A few hundred to a thousand)  These clips will be used for testing and promotional purposes.  It is my intention to pick up a major Christmas vendor to carry the clips.  I have been in contact with a few vendors and the talks are looking promising and I realize the demo clips will be key to this process.  I will also like to have individuals who would be willing to test the clips and provide me with reviews of their performance.  If you would like to join my testing team, please send me a message with your email address and name so that I may continue to communicate with you as this project continues on beyond Kickstarter.

-Matt Ross

• 3 weeks later...

Drew,

Yea, I tried to let everyone know.  Makes sense I might have missed a few.  The campaign was a miserable failure, which was counter intuitive to the initial support that was promised.  What I am doing in the mean time is perfecting the clip, I have added a 1/4" round bar feature, and a notch for para-cord.  I'm working on a prototype mold, I'll post news on that when I have it. 

• 1 month later...

I bet everyone thought this project was dead, NOPE!  I've spent many months working on ideas and methods to still get the clip produced.  On Tuesday I may have the opportunity to present my business idea to a group of angel investors at a start-up contest.  It's a fun event called Pitchlandia that I've mentioned on many other sites but haven't mentioned here yet.  If successful in raising funds there, I will then formally begin producing the clips ASAP. 

Just thought you'd all like to know.

-Rainyoregonchristmas

• Like 1

I have been debating creating a special "Founders Tree" package. The package would include a 4 foot tree complete with central post and base, 100 pixels, 200 clips, power supply, and a pixel controller with standalone features. The package would be specially priced so that if 23 of them were pre-ordered, we would be able to manufacture the clip mold. It would simply be a plug and play pixel platform. One that could be either controlled by a hobbyist lighter, or be used by the non-hobbyist using the standalone mode. Price should be somewhere below $600. Ownership of a Founders Tree would also ensure membership in our R&D club where you would receive future products for testing prior to them being formally released. Does this interest anyone?