Light-O-Rama Forums

help! how would you set this up?

USCS31

ok, I have purchased all RGB LED (dumb an smart) for next years holiday light show! I am new to this and there are a few things I need help with! let me start by stating what I have and you can (if you're willing to share) hopefully inform me what else I need to get or not get because i'm all set and just need to put everything together and work the software! I have the highest level of LOR software as well as the highest level of SS software! I have three LOR1600 Series High Voltage Light Controllers (two are the old units that are not digital and the third is digital). I purchased the following coro items: 15 coro stars (want to use 3 rectangular smart rgb's for each one and 14 coro candy canes which I have rectangular smart rgb led's. I think each candy cane uses 16 rgb's. I bought the smart RGB led's already). I have also purchased 8 LOR pixel sets (each set comes with controller and 2 - 50 pixel strands). I have also purchased from LOR 1 order of RGB-Ribbon-150 single pixel (dumb) RGB Ribbon. The package contains 8 of those ribbons and 1 CMB24D controller. I also have a 12VDC power supply. The 12VDC power supply is  200 Watts. I also purchased 2 more CMB24D controllers just in case I want to cut the ribbon for framing my windows and outlining my house and want to keep certain ribbons separate from lighting up at the same time!. I will also be purchasing strobes. i'm not sure as to how many I will be getting, but some will be in my pixel tree (using the LOR pixels for that) as well as on my house and a tree by the curb. I forgot to mention that I purchased two sandevices / PS1 units to control the coro items. the PS1 units are a package and have their own power supplies. I think each PS1 unit can control 1000 pixels????

the LOR pixel controllers I believe can be daisy chained into the LOR1600 series controllers (I believe). the strobes can get plugged into the channels of the 1600 units (I think)???? i'm kind of confused as to how the PS1 and CMB24D units come in to play and if they can be daisy chained along with the other LOR items?????

now, as far as the software goes, will the software see all the items I listed or do I have to manipulate anything in the software? usually when I plugged my wiring in for the LOR1600's they showed up automatically in the software. I know i'll be back on here asking more questions about this....lol, forgive me in advance as this is all new to me (ss software and rgb's)! thanks in advance!

The LOR1600 controllers, the CMB24D controllers, and the LOR pixel controllers, speak the LOR protocol. The CMB24D and LOR pixel controllers can also speak DMX. The LOR1600 series will also speak DMX if they have the newer firmware.

The Sandevices PS1 speak E1.31, which is DMX over Ethernet.

The PS1 drives smart pixels.

It sounds like you aren't using any native DMX equipment, but only LOR pixels (driven by their own controllers), other smart pixels (driven by the PS1), dumb pixels (driven by the CMB24D), and strobe lights (plugged into the AC controllers).

The recommended setup is to use a show computer with a USB-485 dongle to drive all the LOR devices, and a network port to drive the SanDevices PS1s. These 2 networks will run over separate cables, which must carefully be kept separate because plugging a powered LOR controller into an Ethernet card will send large amounts of current through the Ethernet transformer, burning it out.

• I have two dongles ( the USB-RS485 Communications Adapter and the  USB-RS485-HS  from LOR. I'm assuming when you say a USB-485 dongle, you mean the USB-RS485-HS? I believe it sends data faster? would I need two, one for each network? both networks would be usb? now when you say a network port, can you (please) give a link to one so I can see what you mean? not familiar with network ports. is that like a bridge or splitter of some sort to bring all the wiring to one spot (in) and one wire going out to computer? when the networks are split as you are describing, do I have to correct any settings in the LOR software so that it sees both networks or will it find it on it's own? this setup is new to me so I do apologize for the questions. thank you for your patience! jeff

Edited by USCS31

You would use only one of the RS485 adapters. Either should work, but the HS version is specifically designed for 500Kbps. I'm not familiar with the difference.

For the E1.31 network (to drive the PS1), use the LAN port that your computer probably already has.

• 2 weeks later...

i had hooked up 1 set (two strands) with the controller ( lor ccp's) and the com port set up to # 3. i ran a sequence and nothing happened. i ran a test and only 3 lights it up. i'm not familiar with the cosmic items yet and i'm trying to figure this all out, so please hang in there with me! is that due to not having a network setup? i assumed once the com port was there that the software knew how to communicate with the controller? the light inside the ccp controller was flashing about once every second or twice every second. the sequence was downloaded from a person who knows what they're doing. i purchased it off there webpage. maybe i'm just missing an easy fix here. i did use the lor cabes and usb adaptor! any help is appreciated! thanks!

When troubleshooting lights on the LOR network, always start with the Hardware Utility. That will tell you if all your hardware is working before you start looking at configuration or sequencing problems.

since you bought a sequence did you go into channel configuration of that sequence and see if your controller id # is the same that the sequence is using for the ccps

• Like 1

since you bought a sequence did you go into channel configuration of that sequence and see if your controller id # is the same that the sequence is using for the ccps

ahhhhh! that just may be my issue (dumb mistake and overlooked!)! i'm at work right now but i'm anxious to get home and see if that's the problem (now that you mentioned it)! i may be so excited to get this rolling that i missed that...lol! thank you everyone for your input! i will let you know if it worked!